This group has gone to total shit.
Add Reply
S. Scott
2011-12-03 23:42:59 UTC
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
Chris Pisarra
2011-12-04 00:24:15 UTC
"S. Scott" wrote

All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.

Sadly true. billie keeps the blind items up, but there is little
response.

The gutless brain dead trolls have destroyed what was once a great
newsgroup.

So what's next? Where can we go that we can have some control over the
anonymous cowards? make a web site? Way beyond my capabilities, but I'd
kick in a few bucks a year to pay for it.

Chris
Buttercup
2011-12-04 01:02:26 UTC
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
    Sadly true.  billie keeps the blind items up, but there is little
response.
    The gutless brain dead trolls have destroyed what was once a great
newsgroup.
    So what's next?  Where can we go that we can have some control over the
anonymous cowards?  make a web site?  Way beyond my capabilities, but I'd
kick in a few bucks a year to pay for it.
                Chris
This was once my internet home. This was the place many people would
meet. The one person (marianne) that had a shit fit the way Billie ran
the house, left right after she got rid of Billie and the regulars. I
do keep up with a lot of the old peeps through email. Somehow, it's
just not the same.
Gracenote
2011-12-04 01:38:16 UTC
Post by Buttercup
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
    Sadly true.  billie keeps the blind items up, but there is little
response.
    The gutless brain dead trolls have destroyed what was once a great
newsgroup.
    So what's next?  Where can we go that we can have some control over the
anonymous cowards?  make a web site?  Way beyond my capabilities, but I'd
kick in a few bucks a year to pay for it.
                Chris
This was once my internet home. This was the place many people would
meet. The one person (marianne) that had a shit fit the way Billie ran
the house, left right after she got rid of Billie and the regulars. I
do keep up with a lot of the old peeps through email. Somehow, it's
just not the same.
I try to make posts and answer posts and even mess with Rick. I don't
want it to go away; I have loved it since I got my first computer. I
hope people will come back and chase away the trolls and political
fight starters.
Robin
2011-12-04 05:08:42 UTC
Post by Gracenote
Post by Buttercup
Post by S. Scott
[...]
fight starters.- Hide quoted text -
Heh..I have liked it since I got my first webtv. OK, I can hear booing
in the background. But webtv served it's purpose at the time and I
still have an acct if I want to fire the unit up. I mainly keep it
because I have a Cancer Support group there that I do not want to see
deleted and the one plan works especially well for this circumstance.
Also, as dinosaurus as it is, if this puter crashes, I can get online
with webtv easily.

Anyway, I digress. I have always enjoyed this group. I still enjoy the
Blind Items and the comment's from "oldtimers". Unfortunately, as has
been noted, there are aren't many oldtimer's left. And any comment's
from those that are left are few and far between.

I have always been one of those poster's that stayed at the fence and
took advantage of the scenery. Yes, I would come into the yard every
once in awhile but I mainly enjoyed watching. This is normally not my
nature because I have a big mouth, but this group was so much like
entertainment to me I rarely felt the need to jump in.

It is truly a shame that a few people were hell bent on destroying
this group. One in particular. I have no dog in this fight but it
pisses me off that someone is becoming successful in their efforts to
destroy something that people enjoy.

On the other hand, I can't imagine how insignificant and joyless
someone must feel about themselves if their only release is to ruin
other folks enjoyment of something. So we should feel sorry for them.
For about 5 seconds, then go back to getting pissed off again. Kinda
like a moment of silence for the weak and mean spirited.

I'll go back to lurking.

Y'all Take care, Robin
computeridiot
2011-12-05 17:05:32 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Gracenote
Post by Buttercup
Post by S. Scott
[...]
Y'all Take care, Robin- Hide quoted text -
You are so right Robin, it's ugly here lately, homophobic and racist
comments all over the group.
Movie Fan
2011-12-11 15:11:33 UTC
Post by computeridiot
Post by Robin
Post by Gracenote
Post by Buttercup
Post by S. Scott
[...]
Maybe somebody should post some news stories about celebrity gossip.
So what if there's a lot of noise. Just ignore it and reply to on-
topic items. Only nobody posts on-topic items any more.
k***@kgs.com
2011-12-05 18:13:14 UTC
Post by Buttercup
Post by S. Scott
[...]
This was my first usenet group and read it almost every day. Don't post much
but will break through the inertia to converse in the new group.

I appreciate all that Billie did and would like it to keep going.

kgs
Alan Smithee
2011-12-04 06:20:15 UTC
http://www.proboards.com :-D
Chris Pisarra
2011-12-04 16:09:42 UTC
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
http://www.proboards.com :-D

Okay, that's a reasonable solution--an open forum anyone can
read, only members can post. Easy enough to keep out the spammers and
trolls.

Do I hear an Amen? Anyone interested in going this route?

Chris
Big J
2011-12-04 19:56:58 UTC
Post by Alan Smithee
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
http://www.proboards.com :-D
Okay, that's a reasonable solution--an open forum
anyone can
read, only members can post. Easy enough to keep out the spammers and
trolls.
Do I hear an Amen? Anyone interested in going this route?
Chris
Just scanned the site. Would this be an administrated board?

Big J

-----
Chris Pisarra
2011-12-04 21:59:50 UTC
I would think so--at least in deciding who can be a "posting member", which
to me means anyone except the trolls and spammers.

A small board, just make those approvals. I nominate Billy, BigJ, Dez, Kris
and myself, but that is not in any way meant to be all-inclusive.

Chris

-----
Font of All Important Info
2011-12-06 03:46:23 UTC
Post by Chris Pisarra
I would think so--at least in deciding who can be a "posting member", which
to me means anyone except the trolls and spammers.
A small board, just make those approvals. I nominate Billy, BigJ, Dez, Kris
and myself, but that is not in any way meant to be all-inclusive.
Chris
i'd love to, but i don't have a lot of time right now. i will go
wherever the group goes (even Facebook, lol).

--dez

...a pistol-hot cup of Dez...

"Chef of chicanery, your buns are mine!"
--the Tick
Font of All Important Info
2011-12-04 22:31:21 UTC
Post by Big J
Post by Alan Smithee
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
http://www.proboards.com :-D
Okay, that's a reasonable solution--an open forum
anyone can
read, only members can post. Easy enough to keep out the spammers and
trolls.
Do I hear an Amen? Anyone interested in going this
route?
Chris
Just scanned the site. Would this be an administrated board?
i would go over it if's monitored (i.e., keep the damn trolls out)
:-)

--the Tick
Sherry Hart
2011-12-06 03:29:15 UTC
Post by Font of All Important Info
Post by Big J
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
http://www.proboards.com:-D
                Okay, that's a reasonable solution--an open forum
                anyone can
read, only members can post.  Easy enough to keep out the spammers and
trolls.
                Do I hear an Amen?  Anyone interested in going this
                route?
                            Chris
Just scanned the site. Would this be an administrated board?
i would go over it if's monitored (i.e., keep the damn trolls out)
:-)
--dez
...a pistol-hot cup of Dez...
"Chef of chicanery, your buns are mine!"
     --the Tick
I'd be there in a heartbeat if you keep the trolls out. Someone get
Volfie......We'll keep her at the gate. NO ONE would get by her.
Facebook sounds like a great solution.

Sherry/Jackson739
Girlie to her toes
Michael McAffee
Agreed, because homos are easily intimidated.
Michael McAffee
2011-12-06 06:08:48 UTC
Post by Big J
Post by Alan Smithee
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
http://www.proboards.com :-D
Okay, that's a reasonable solution--an open forum
anyone can
read, only members can post. Easy enough to keep out the spammers and
trolls.
Do I hear an Amen? Anyone interested in going this
route?
Chris
Just scanned the site. Would this be an administrated board?
Big J
-----
Could we still post about Obama being a homo and Eric Holder being a
fucking felony stupid incompetent?
Could we mention how many flies and cockroaches could fit in
Napolitano's smelly snatch?
Hey I'm in. I could be the moderator.
Judith R
Sounds good to me.
myname2use4now
I'm in!
p***@aol.com
2011-12-05 16:38:00 UTC
Post by myname2use4now
Post by Judith R
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
http://www.proboards.com:-D
Okay, that's a reasonable solution--an open forum anyone can read, only
members can post. Easy enough to keep out the spammers and trolls.
Do I hear an Amen? Anyone interested in going this route?
Chris
Sounds good to me.
I'm in!
I started agc on yahoo, but no one wanted to join or if they did, they
didn't post. I allow all responsible posters to post, and delete
anything that is off topic, or spam, so the group is clean, However,
I've noticed the only people there are people who want to get all the
blind items right away in their email.

I had looked into a moderated usegroup, but it involves a lot of work,
I'm not willing to put into it.

I, too, miss the old agc and especially the old-time posters. I wish I
could take back a lot of things I said, and did, and I'm sure so do a
lot of others, but a lot of us were new to the internet, and didn't
"get it" and handled it too personally (I'm the guiltiest one of all).

It's sad, but when anything becomes popular, it's eventually ruined by
creeps.

Billie
Big J
2011-12-05 18:55:36 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by myname2use4now
Post by myname2use4now
Post by Judith R
[...]
Yes - what she said.

I think it takes us all awhile to mature or develop our own style and
yes, to just "get it." Lord knows I had my own periods of chest thumping
and assholery....probably will have more :)

IMO, wishing for the old agc is kinda like wishing for the old TV where
Sid Caesar and Jackie Gleason ruled, and the news was the news. ("Boy,
the way Glenn Miller played...")

I fear that the "golden era" of newsgroups has passed, as it did w/
newspapers, raido, and television.

I also agree w/ Billie: moderated would be great, but I'm way to involved
w/ work to commit on an on-going basis. I often "drop out" of the group
for a few days at a time in various project crunch times.

Well, off my soapbox for today, but remembering the good ol' days and
sending a hug to all, including the Pink Princess and that horrid
Canadian queen who kept stealing my drinks...

Big J

-----
laytonian
2011-12-06 00:08:17 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by myname2use4now
Post by Judith R
Post by S. Scott
[...]
Billie- Hide quoted text -
Why not Facebook? You can create a "private" or "secret" group,
with only invited people. You can set it up so several trusted
people
can be administrators.

Since it'd be only invited people, there's really not many problems.

I have one secret group (for a missing persons case) and are one
of 105 people from a newspaper forum.

It works great. it's FREE.

Kris
Obviously, I would not be invited but that's OK
Chris Pisarra
2011-12-06 01:54:22 UTC
"laytonian" wrote

Why not Facebook? You can create a "private" or "secret" group,
with only invited people. You can set it up so several trusted
people
can be administrators.

Since it'd be only invited people, there's really not many problems.

I have one secret group (for a missing persons case) and are one
of 105 people from a newspaper forum.

It works great. it's FREE.

Kris
Obviously, I would not be invited but that's OK

Okay group, is this the answer? I have no idea how to
get this going--any Facebook mavens around?

Chris
Hell Toupee
2011-12-07 02:37:35 UTC
Post by laytonian
Why not Facebook? You can create a "private" or "secret" group,
with only invited people. You can set it up so several trusted
people
can be administrators.
Since it'd be only invited people, there's really not many problems.
Every newsgroup I've been on that went to either a moderated newsgroup
or a restricted-access option, promptly withered and died. Because for
all the bitching about spammers and trolls, too few people end up
participating in the new forum to keep it viable.

So if you're going to try something, I'd recommend keeping your hand
in here, too, at least until the new group looks viable. And good luck.
laytonian
2011-12-07 02:50:19 UTC
Post by Hell Toupee
Why not Facebook?    You can create a "private" or "secret" group,
with only invited people.   You can set it up so several trusted
people
can be administrators.
Since it'd be only invited people, there's really not many problems.
Every newsgroup I've been on that went to either a moderated newsgroup
or a restricted-access option, promptly withered and died. Because for
all the bitching about spammers and trolls, too few people end up
participating in the new forum to keep it viable.
So if you're going to try something, I'd recommend keeping your hand
in here, too, at least until the new group looks viable. And good luck.
I could easly set it up ... but since I've always been "unwelcome"
here by one of the group's leaders, I obviously cannot do so.

One thing: it'd obviously be under people's real names, BUT it's
also a good way to keep people responsible for their posts.

Kris
(Google has renamed me...but I'm Baker)
Gracenote
2011-12-07 05:26:24 UTC
Post by laytonian
Post by Hell Toupee
[...]
That would be my problem with Facebook, not because I am ashamed of my
posts, but because some people here (the trolls) scare me and I don't
want them to know who I am. I had a local stalker from school this
semester and it was terrible. I'm not good at judging people soon
enough before I have given them my cell number and invited them to
lunch :(

I will stay here, but hope you all will let me know if another group
opens. I scan quite a few day to day.
laytonian
2011-12-07 16:38:19 UTC
Post by Gracenote
Post by laytonian
Post by Hell Toupee
[...]
opens. I scan quite a few day to day.- Hide quoted text -
They wouldn't see you, Gracenote.

There are two kinds of closed Facebook groups:

A regular "closed" group's members are visible to other Facebook
users. Only members can post, and the posts are only visible
within the group.

A "secret" group's title (only) is visible. No one outside the group
can see who is a member. The posts are not visible to the outside.

You have more exposure here, than in a "secret" Facebook group.

Kris
Jackson739
2011-12-06 03:40:00 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by myname2use4now
Post by Judith R
Post by S. Scott
[...]
I'd be there in a heartbeat if we could keep trolls away. Get
Volfie.......Keep her at the gate, NO ONE would get by her. Facebook
sounds like a viable option. Closed/private group.

Sherry
Jackson739
Girlie to her toes
Buttercup
2011-12-06 15:41:52 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by myname2use4now
Post by Judith R
Post by S. Scott
[...]
Girlie to her toes- Hide quoted text -
With pictures!

It could be just like old times again!
Michael McAffee
Is Chilton a creep?
Buttercup
2011-12-07 17:18:28 UTC
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100003238394293

Billie Started a facebook agc for us.

If it is set to private nobody will see our post and cannot post w/o
being added!

This can be so cool. We can add pics of celebs we are talking about.

I hope to see you soon!
Chris Pisarra

I hope to see you soon!
laytonian
2011-12-07 20:00:34 UTC
Post by Chris Pisarra
I'm there!!
        Chris
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100003238394293
Billie Started a facebook agc for us.
If it is set to private nobody will see our post and cannot post w/o
being added!
This can be so cool. We can add pics of celebs we are talking about.
I hope to see you soon!
I'm not a member, so I looked
I can see the full (real) names of everyone who has signed up --
and click on their profiles.

So it's not really "private". That's why I advised it be set up
as a secret group. Groups have very different privact settings
(ie, much tighter).

BUT, it's obviously not my call. Have fun, y'all.

Kris
laytonian
2011-12-07 21:02:56 UTC
Post by laytonian
Post by Chris Pisarra
I'm there!!
        Chris
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100003238394293
Billie Started a facebook agc for us.
If it is set to private nobody will see our post and cannot post w/o
being added!
This can be so cool. We can add pics of celebs we are talking about.
I hope to see you soon!
I'm not a member, so I looked
I can see the full (real) names of everyone who has signed up --
and  click on their profiles.
So it's not really "private".    That's why I advised it be set up
as a secret group.   Groups have very different privact settings
(ie, much tighter).
BUT, it's obviously not my call.  Have fun, y'all.
Kris- Hide quoted text -
To clarify: Billie started a "person" -- not a group. A secret
GROUP is invitation-only, and no one can even see who is in
it.

That would have been perfect to invite some of the oldies into.

Kris
donnalynne888@gmailnospam.com
2011-12-09 11:47:01 UTC
Post by laytonian
Post by Chris Pisarra
I'm there!!
        Chris
[...]
I would love to be invited to the new group. I have been reading this
group for about 6 or 7 years. I am not much of a poster.
I came in today on a lark.
Very surprised at the amount of trash/porn? posting or whatever you
call that.

Thanks,donnalynne888
Chris Pisarra
2011-12-09 16:53:40 UTC
Follow the link to the Facebook page and send a friend request. All
non-trolls welcome.

Chris
Post by laytonian
Post by laytonian
Post by Chris Pisarra
I'm there!!
Chris

Thanks,donnalynne888
Mumio
2011-12-11 02:02:39 UTC
Have sent a friend request to the FB page...
Chris Pisarra
2011-12-11 02:48:36 UTC
Cool! Welcome.

Chris

Mumio
2011-12-12 01:42:51 UTC
Thanks Chris!
Robin
2011-12-11 03:01:10 UTC
Post by Buttercup
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100003238394293
Billie Started a facebook agc for us.
If it is set to private nobody will see our post and cannot post w/o
being added!
This can be so cool. We can add pics of celebs we are talking about.
I hope to see you soon!
The group on Facebook is too open for my tastes. I would love to join,
but as it stands now, all anyone would have to do is click on the left
side of the page and go to my personal FB page. A secret page, in my
opinion, would be best.

Take Care and Good Luck!

Robin
matthewrmt
2011-12-12 02:07:45 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by myname2use4now
Post by Judith R
Post by S. Scott
[...]
WOW! I am happy to see these posts! I used to come here all the time,
but over the past year or so, it has become such a horrible place with
the spam and the political crap that I rarely ever check in. I'm sure
many of you know what i mean--it sucks to have to scroll through all
the crap to find some legit post about gossip/ celebrities.

Sorry Billie, but I didn't even know about a yahoo group.
Chris Pisarra

CliffB
2011-12-12 18:59:47 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by myname2use4now
Post by Judith R
Post by S. Scott
[...]
You did great work. Folks just moved on. Blogs finally did usenet in.
Still it's a great archival resource, so job well done Billy~
Alan Smithee
2011-12-13 21:31:17 UTC
Post by CliffB
You did great work. Folks just moved on. Blogs finally did usenet in.
Also, a lot of ISP are dropping UN. Seems there have been many complaints
about piracy running amok.
computeridiot
2011-12-05 17:06:43 UTC
Post by Judith R
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
http://www.proboards.com:-D
Okay, that's a reasonable solution--an open forum anyone can read, only
members can post. Easy enough to keep out the spammers and trolls.
Do I hear an Amen? Anyone interested in going this route?
Chris
Sounds good to me.
I'm in!- Hide quoted text -
Me too!
edonline
Me three.
Mumio
2011-12-06 04:07:09 UTC
Would also like to be part of the group, even though I contribute little. Have enjoyed coming here to see what others have to say but definitely can do without all the hate posts that spammers have been putting up here.
Rashed Gonad
2011-12-06 06:15:23 UTC
Don't ya just hate those hateful Commie baiters?
Hell Toupee
2011-12-07 02:34:31 UTC
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
That's what filters are for. Use your filters to dump any non-gossip
themed posts or posters. Then post gossip!

With a good newsreader, you can eliminate more than 90% of the spam
and troll postings.
Chris Pisarra
2011-12-07 02:37:28 UTC
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
That's what filters are for. Use your filters to dump any non-gossip
themed posts or posters. Then post gossip!

With a good newsreader, you can eliminate more than 90% of the spam
and troll postings.

I wish. But the cowardly bastards nymshift incessantly, and
they breed like cockroaches.

I'm pretty sold on the Facebook alternative, but I don't know
how to do it. I keep hoping somebody more techie than I am (which is almost
everyone) will step up and start it. I'd be willing to help administrate.

Chris
Hell Toupee
2011-12-07 02:48:19 UTC
Post by Hell Toupee
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
That's what filters are for. Use your filters to dump any non-gossip
themed posts or posters. Then post gossip!
With a good newsreader, you can eliminate more than 90% of the spam
and troll postings.
I wish. But the cowardly bastards nymshift incessantly, and
they breed like cockroaches.
Yes. Which is why you create additional filters that block crossposted
messages and posts with certain words in the subject line.

If you take a close look at the troll crap, you'll note that most of
it is crossposted to numerous groups. Thunderbird is one newsreader
that permits users to create custom filters. So create a custom filter
that deletes any message cross-posted to any other group. Bam - you've
wiped out the majority of the racist and political troll crap in one
fell swoop. As for subject keyword filters, everyone should be able to
easily figure out what words to add to the filter's list.

If your newsreader doesn't allow you to filter by crossposts, or to
create custom filters, you might want to experiment with using another
newsreader. Setting it up takes a bit of time, but after that there's
only minimal maintenance involved.
Newt'sNemesis
2011-12-07 20:06:34 UTC
Post by S. Scott
All the regs have disappeared and there are only spammers left.
STAY OFF HERE, SCOTT, AND THIS GROUP WILL HAVE ONE LESS SHIT ...
YOU ...
no one important
2011-12-14 07:30:27 UTC
Gosh, you leave a newsgroup for a couple months and...
d***@gmail.com
2017-11-19 03:24:37 UTC
It was inevitable with Billy Chris and Maggie and Jonesie