Trump: I have 'absolute right to pardon myself'
2018-06-04 14:15:03 UTC
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/04/politics/donald-trump-pardon-tweet/index.html

Washington (CNN) — President Donald Trump asserted Monday that he has the right
to pardon himself but suggested that he won't use that power, adding that the
special counsel investigation is "unconstitutional."

"As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to
PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong? In the
meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted
Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms!" the President tweeted.

Donald J. Trump
✔ @realDonaldTrump

As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to
PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong? In the
meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted
Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms!

5:35 AM - Jun 4, 2018

The President then called Robert Mueller's investigation "UNCONSTITUTIONAL" but
said he would "play the game" because he has "done nothing wrong."

Trump's comments come after one of his attorneys in the Russia investigation,
Rudy Giuliani, said Sunday that Trump "probably does" have the power to pardon
himself, but won't.

"He has no intention of pardoning himself." Giuliani also said on Sunday. "It
would be an open question. I think it would probably get answered by gosh,
that's what the Constitution says, and if you want to change it, change it. But
yes."

Many legal scholars dispute the idea that a President cannot obstruct justice.
While Trump did have the authority to fire former FBI Director James Comey, the
question becomes whether he had corrupt intent in doing so -- the issue at the
center of Mueller's obstruction investigation.

A Brookings Institution study in October concluded that the President's
authority to fire the head of the FBI in this case was a "red herring."

"The fact that the president has lawful authority to take a particular course of
action does not immunize him if he takes that action with the unlawful intent of
obstructing a proceeding for an improper purpose," the report said.

2018-06-05 01:00:48 UTC
Washington (CNN) — President Donald Trump asserted Monday that he has the right
to pardon himself but suggested that he won't use that power, adding that the
special counsel investigation is "unconstitutional."
For federal crimes, yes. For state crime, no. Federal prosecutors are leaving
crumbs for New York and other state prosecutors.