Kellyanne Conway Loses It on CNN's Dana Bash for Asking About Husband's Anti-Trump Tweets
2018-04-23 04:51:17 UTC
https://www.thedailybeast.com/kellyanne-conway-loses-it-on-cnns-dana-bash-for-asking-about-husbands-anti-trump-tweets?ref=home

The counselor to the president did not appreciate being questioned about her
husband, George Conway’s, penchant for criticizing Trump on Twitter.

Dana Bash said it was supposed to be a “somewhat lighthearted” question.
Kellyanne Conway did not take it that way.

Toward the end of a long interview during which Conway dodged question after
question about her boss’ legal troubles, Bash asked her, “What is up with your
husband’s tweets?”

Conway’s permanent smile began to fade ever so slightly as Bash explained that
George Conway, a prominent lawyer, has been surprisingly critical of President
Donald Trump on Twitter over the past year and a half. Many of those tweets have
since been deleted, but one that remains on his account from March calls a
report that Trump considered pardons for Michael Flynn and Paul Manafort
“flabbergasting.”

After somehow working in yet another dig at Hillary Clinton, Conway told Bash,
“It’s fascinating to me that CNN would go there. But it’s very good for the
whole world to just witness that it’s now fair game how people’s spouses and
significant others may differ with them. I’m really surprised, but very, in some
ways, relieved and gratified to see that.”

Taken aback by Conway’s response, Bash insisted that she would have asked the
same question if the gender roles were reversed. “No you wouldn’t,” Conway
interrupted her, to which Bash replied, “A thousand percent I would.”

“You just brought him into this, so this ought to be fun moving forward, Dana,”
a furious Conway said. “We’re now going to talk about other people’s spouses and
significant others just because they either work at the White House or at CNN?
Are we now going to do that? Because you just went there. CNN just went there.”
When Bash said she wasn’t trying to be “critical,” Conway said, “Of course it
was, it was meant to harass and embarrass.”

“By definition, spouses have a difference of opinion when adultery is
happening,” Conway added, cryptically. “By definition, spouses have a difference
of opinion when one is, I don’t know, draining the joint bank account to support
things that maybe the other disagrees with. So this is a fascinating ‘cross the
Rubicon’ moment and I’ll leave it at that.”

As Bash tried to ease the tension between them, Conway only ratcheted it up,
accusing the anchor of talking out of turn about her marriage and even bringing
her children into it.

“Kellyanne, here was my whole point in this, is that you are a professional
working for the president of the United States and your husband is a very
well-respected lawyer,” Bash told her, “and my point is that we don’t often
see—in fact, I don’t remember the last time we saw—somebody working for the
president in a high-profile position when their spouse is saying critical things
about them. That is all.”

Of course, this being Kellyanne Conway, that was not all. “CNN chose to go
there,” she said. “I think that’s going to be fascinating moving forward.” In
her next breath, Conway was defending her boss for calling the wife of his
former Deputy Director FBI Director Andrew McCabe a “loser.”

2018-04-23 22:35:54 UTC
[...]
Just really strange indignation, I guess she's never heard of the
Carville/Matalin or Avalon/Hoover opposing political bedfellow teams,
the latter who appear on CNN all the time.