The Trade War Has Begun!!!
2018-07-06 16:12:50 UTC
https://theslot.jezebel.com/the-trade-war-has-begun-1827388712

This morning, I woke up to no less than four push notifications with the cheery
news that the long-anticipated trade war with China began just after the stroke
of midnight.

If you haven’t been following the lead-up to this global economic pissing
contest, here’s a very brief primer: Donald Trump has long charged the Chinese
government with unfair trade practices, and campaigned on promises to target the
US trade deficit with China.

Making good on his threats, the US government has now imposed trade tariffs on
$34 billion worth of Chinese goods, including auto parts and medical tools. In
retaliation, the Chinese government announced it had imposed tariffs on an equal
amount of US products.

And it may not stop here: According to the New York Times, Trump yesterday
threatened to follow up with increasing levies on up to $450 billion worth of
Chinese products.

What will the impact be? How will this end? No one really knows, though many
experts believe that the escalating trade war will weaken both the U.S. and
global economy. As Edward Alden, a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign
Relations, put it to the Times, a lot depends on what Donald Trump decides to
do, which is reassuring!! “At the moment, I don’t see how this ends,” he said.
“This is very much in the president’s hands because he’s got advisers that seem
divided, some substantively, some tactically. I just don’t think we’ve had any
clear signs of the resolution he wants.”

Like many of you, I have some questions. Are there any adults in the room? Am I
actually rooting for China in this trade war? (Maybe?) Are we lurching toward a
global economic recession? Will this lead the Trump family to stop making their
wares in Chinese factories?

*
Mitchell Holman
2018-07-06 18:07:08 UTC
[...]
Did anyone else notice that Trump started
his trade war against China only AFTER Ivanka
moved her shoe production from China to the
even cheaper Ethiopia?

http://tinyurl.com/y8rqh22y
Miloch
2018-07-06 19:22:41 UTC
In article <***@216.166.97.131>, Mitchell Holman
says...
Post by Mitchell Holman
Post by Miloch
[...]
I travelled thru Ethiopia back in the 70s when Haile Selassie was barely alive
but still Emperor...ya...back then they had emperors!...and it was like
travelling back in time to around the 16th century.

The poverty was staggering, hunger was rampant and leprosy was a fact of life.

*
Byker
2018-07-06 20:20:33 UTC
Tuberculosis still is: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5360058/