Shawn Masters, Hypnotist
Add Reply
b***@gmail.com
2013-03-30 05:51:39 UTC
I met and learned from Shawn in 1980 in Atlanta GA and have been thinking of him and using hypnosis still.Thanks
j***@gmail.com
2013-07-07 02:06:44 UTC
The World's Most Famous Hypnotist!!!
Hypnotist of the Stars - Definitely an AAAA Show - He is Genuis or Magician
or both - Only show invited to the White House - Holds all "Held Over" Show
business records throughout the world - only hypnotist of Record ever to be
endorsed by a Hypnotic Guild - Most Laughter ever recorded in any show
Business Medium - The Greatest Entertainer of them all - Shows are
impressively mysterious and hilarious - Amazing? Awe-inspiring? Yes!
Thrilling? Yes!
Those were the times.
If there is anybody out there that remembers Shawn, please get in touch with
me. He has done so much for you all out there, now is the time for you to
let him know how you are doing with what he has taught you.
Thank you,
Helga Reich
**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (t
My mother, sister and I all attended Shawn's meetings in the early 80s in ATL. We have tried to find him many times and today found your post. We still talk about our amazing experiences. We would love an update! Thanks so much for posting!
g***@gmail.com
2014-03-22 02:41:26 UTC
I was a student of his in 1985 in Atlanta. I had just earned a degree in physics and went to his open to the public session to uncover how he was performing his illusions. Boy was I in for a surprise.

After that night I became a student for several months. So amazing what he could do and what he taught us about ourselves.
g***@gmail.com
2014-03-22 02:45:28 UTC
It was 1984 not 1985.
f***@gmail.com
2016-01-28 00:57:03 UTC
I was a student of Shawn Masters too. i would like to collaborate with you regarding what he taught us. My email address is ***@earthlink.net
g***@gmail.com
2014-12-30 23:42:58 UTC
Very funny--he was a fraud, a child molester and beyond obnoxious. Everyone has been fooled by that clown Helga--multiple marriages, divorces, sleazy and not a nice person. I know this from his daughters and former wives.
h***@iinet.net.au
2015-07-04 03:10:37 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Very funny--he was a fraud, a child molester and beyond obnoxious.
Very funny--he was a fraud, a child molester and beyond obnoxious. Everyone has been fooled by that clown Helga--multiple marriages, divorces, sleazy and not a nice person. I know this from his daughters and former wives.
Whatever Shawn may be as an individual, he was certainly no fraud when it came to hypnosis. And his marvellous showmanship speaks for itself. In March 1973 he came to Australia, and I did his course over three weekends, with my four young daughters aged 6 to 12. Shawn actually pinned my eldest daughter to another volunteer (a young man) with a 6"kilt pin through their forearms, after getting both of them to put in certain suggestions to stop pain, bleeding, etc. (he was demonstrating the efficacy of our suggestions). My daughter showed no sign of having been pierced by a kilt pin, but the young man had forgotten to put in a suggestion to stop any bleeding, and he did bleed a bit. That course with Shawn quite possibly saved my life, because I was suicidal after having left a homicidal husband just a few weeks beforehand. I was destitute, and my beliefs and values around marriage and life had been totally shattered.

Since then, I've mainly used self-hypnosis for physical problems like bleeding, pain, bruising, burns, and such. I've never had any anaesthetic for dentistry, and this includes a root canal on a double molar (over 4 hours), and 6 double molars plus a few others extracted (unknown to me - before it was too late - my jawbone was disintegrating and I lost perfectly good teeth).

Like I said, whatever Shawn was in his private life, he has empowered many people - and possibly saved lives - with his work.
Flem Hawkings
2015-07-04 05:58:12 UTC
I saw him pin the heads of two midgets together wing a pneumatic staple
gun. One midget whined a little, but they quieted him down by giving him
dog biscuits. Later, under self hypnosis, I removed my own appendix,
twice. I was able to squeeze my hemorrhoids into little nubs like tiny
raisins with
very little or no discomfort, I can't remember which.
c***@yahoo.com
2016-11-13 23:38:51 UTC
Post by h***@iinet.net.au
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
I'm not sure of your name, I saw where you posted something about Shawn masters.
My name is Craig Hodges, I am making a documentary and the main characters were students of Shawn's. I am looking for any video of Shawn Masters because whatever he did worked! I'm sure you can attest to this, what he did worked so well that it changed their lives. The main characters were a married couple that studied with Shawn. They used the technique for many things, the main reason was to have enhanced strength for a sailboat journey around the world. This was the late 70's and the boat trip was cut short by a hurricane in Hawaii. A long story later, the two were in an impossible situation. Gary had to fake his death to avoid prison. We are from Arkansas, and this takes place in a small town of 1400 where both were born and raised. To fake your own death in a small town, how? Sally was left to explain when Gary allegedly jumped off the bridge. She used the hypnosis to believe he had really jumped off the bridge. It worked so well that her mother, who was best friends with the prison doctors wife, convinced her friends husband to give Sally truth serum! Sodium pentothal for crying out loud, right out of the movies! Sally's mother did not believe Gary would ever commit suicide, so much so that she did this! I can't find much about Shawn, only an article or two. I had hoped you may be able to tell me a little bit more about him, or some more details so i could research it on my own. Please let me know, thanks.

Craig Hodges
f***@gmail.com
Helga Reich
f***@gmail.com
How do i get in touch with you? My email address is ***@earthlink.net
c***@yahoo.com
c***@yahoo.com

Craig Hodges
g***@gmail.com
2017-05-17 23:24:10 UTC
Here's an article about him I wrote for the Harvard student newspaper in 1969: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1970/2/28/when-you-awake-you-will-remember/
g***@gmail.com
2017-05-17 23:25:22 UTC
I wrote this for my college newspaper in 1969 http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1970/2/28/when-you-awake-you-will-remember/
v***@gmail.com
2017-11-22 08:05:58 UTC
Hi everyone !
I was also a student of Shawn's for about 2 years back in the mid 80s. ~'83 to '85 I think. I got to know him because of my mother, Emmy Lou, who was the director of education at Northside Hospital in Atlanta back then, and she got to know Shawn when he was involved with the hospital and was working with the terminally ill patients and using hypnosis to help reduce their pain.
I started attending his Atlanta classes with my mom at first, then when he started another class up in Greenville South Carolina, I went to those too, as I was going to a University there. He helped me raise my grade point average from a D to a B. I also remember the time when I had to have my wisdom teeth out, and he video taped the anesthesia-free procedure. The wisdom teeth were impacted, and I had all four out at once. The oral surgeon was named Dr. Black, who my mother knew very well (she was also an RN) and the Dr.'s office was located across the street from Northside at the Johnson Ferry Rd. and Peachtree Dunwoody intersection. Anyway, the surgery went really well, and I felt good enough to eat a heaping plate of spaghetti that night, just a few hours after surgery. And then the next night we had Shawn's hypnosis class, and afterwards we all went to dinner afterwards. (remember how Shawn liked to eat and never missed a meal?) I had several crunchy tacos that evening and had no problem eating. During dinner I remember Shawn had me give a little speech to everybody and tell them all about it. I had zero pain, very little bleeding, and no "chipmunk cheek" swelling of my face that always occurs after that kind of surgery. Skeptics can say Shawn was just a con-man and claim that I didn't feel any pain because it was "all in my head", but I challenge them to explain how in the hell I had absolutely no swelling of my face whatsoever after that surgery where the Dr had to slice away at my gums and then rip four 3/4" of an inch long teeth, half of which had multiple live roots, out of my jaw bone using nothing more than a tool that looked like a pair of pliers. The trauma to tissue and jaw bone was extensive. So how in the world did I have no swelling, huh ? Shawn gave me the suggestion, under a very deep trance state, that there would be no swelling. That's how, Mr Smarty skeptic man.
One very memorable thing I remember about the procedure was that all the nurses at Dr. Black's office were captivated by my anesthesia-free wisdom tooth extraction, and after my procedure they all wanted to be hypnotized too. I think Shawn ended up hypnotizing every nurse in Dr. Black's office that day.
There was also another patient who was in the next room to mine, and she was having a root canal or something, and that lady patient was absolutely going bananas and climbing the walls. She was having a panic attack/ meltdown, and was literally fighting off the Dr. whenever he tried put his fingers in her mouth. Shawn saw this and offered to help Dr. Black, he really had no choice but to let Shawn try... and sure enough, he put her "under" in short order, and she totally relaxed. Dr. Black was then finally able to work on her. He was very impressed, and between the Dr and the 5 or 6 nurses there, Shawn had quite a few converts and believers in hypnosis after that.
I also remember seeing him do countless hypnotic regressions in class, and I know he DID help a lot of people who had some very serious issues. One that stands out in my mind was a heavy lady who was a regular at class, and she had an over-eating issue that ended up being tied to low self esteem, and while under regression, it turned out the cause was that she had been molested when she was a little girl. Does anyone else remember the class that night? She lost a lot of weight and was happy as a clam following that.
As far as these comments here regarding alleged immoral and unethical behavior by Shawn, I really don't know anything about that, and this is the first I've heard such awful things about him. I never knew much about his personal life, but a couple of years after Shawn stopped holding his Greenville classes, I do remember hearing from my mother that he had left his wife and "ran off" I guess you could say, with a young lady who was one of his assistants from that 80's Atlanta era. I forget her name, but she had a very weak chin, and he helped her get surgery to correct that. It was drastic surgery and involved breaking the chin bone and resetting it. They had to wire her jaw in place for quite a while, and I remember seeing her in class all wired-up like that.
As far as all of his boasting and wild claims, like holding the World's record for the most held-over shows and knocking Phyllis Diller out of that spot, I do remember thinking at the time that he was either telling the truth or full of a lot of hot air, but it didn't really matter to me because he WAS really that good of a hypnotist, and after being around him for 2 years, I did witness a lot of incredible stuff, and I saw him help a lot of people. Sure, the "standing on the stomach of a woman who was laid across the backs of 2 chairs" is an old stage trick, but I saw a LOT of other stuff that can't be easily debunked. Who else remembers the needles through the arm ? Then there was the "gluing" a person to the floor and unable to be lifted (which is a well known phenomena to practitioners of a martial art called "Aikido", of which I am one), then there was the fake "hot coin" on the skin causing a burn, ...and so many more. Of course there are my own personal experiences too.
I still use the skills that he taught me, pretty much on a weekly basis, and I hypnotize others on occasion. I still continue to practice my hypnosis induction scripts, and a few years ago I even had a website up with some free inductions people could listen to.
For what it is worth, I'm glad I got to know him on a professional level and learn from him. He gave me some valuable skills and charged very little money... I think it was about $50 a week or something like that back in the 80's....
All I know is that Shawn made my life better, and I saw him with my own eyes help a lot of other people too. And he never tried to "con" me, or anybody else I knew. As far as allegations of him being a, um well, a pervert, I do not know -I know very little about his personal life. But the old adage "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" has served me pretty well so far.

It's nice to know other people are out there who still think about him and remember those days... going to those classes and meeting so many nice people is a fondly remembered time in my life too... remember "zoo sleep"? (he would always make any suggestion trigger phrase with 2 words that would never be used together in normal conversation) - And remember that suggestion against "highway hypnosis" he always gave us ? It has been over 30 years and my eyes STILL don't go drowsy on me when I'm behind the wheel!

- It's nice to hear from (most) of you all,.. Take care everybody !!
TIM FABER, ATLANTA