A Fantastic Woman Director Thinks Scarlett Johansson's Trans Role 'Should Never Be Prohibited'
2018-07-06 16:10:10 UTC
https://themuse.jezebel.com/a-fantastic-woman-director-thinks-scarlett-johanssons-t-1827387440

Scarlett Johansson—who likes to occupy minority roles in films and then say
self-protective nonsense when it inevitably causes controversy—is set to star in
the upcoming film Rub & Tug, which details the life of trans man Dante “Tex”
Gill, famous for operating a massage parlor and brothel in 1970s/80s Pittsburgh.
Johansson responded to criticism of her playing the role of a transgender person
by stating, “Tell them that they can be directed to Jeffrey Tambor, Jared Leto,
and Felicity Huffman’s reps for comment,” in a moment of true tone deaf beauty.

Days later, Chilean director Sebastian Lelio, famous for his Oscar-winning 2017
film A Fantastic Woman—which stars trans actor Daniela Vega—addressed the
criticism, telling The Hollywood Reporter:

“It’s true [that] cultural representation has been scarce so far. And it’s also
true that the gesture of casting a cisgender actor to play a transgender role
can be aesthetically or ethically debatable—but it should never be prohibited.

When I decided to cast Daniela Vega to play Marina in A Fantastic Woman, it was
an act of artistic freedom, not political correctness. I wasn’t telling the
world that transgender roles should be played by transgender actors. I was only
doing what I felt was right for my film.”

This isn’t Johansson’s first casting controversy, of course. For the 2017 U.S.
adaptation of the Japanese manga Ghost in the Shell, Johansson played the
canonically Japanese cyborg Major Motoko Kusanagi. Producers reportedly
attempted to make her “look more Asian,” which she later denied, along with any
whitewashing. “I certainly would never presume to play another race of a
person,” she , told Marie Claire that year. “Diversity is important in
Hollywood, and I would never want to feel like I was playing a character that
was offensive. Also, having a franchise with a female protagonist driving it is
such a rare opportunity.” Producer Steven Paul came to her (and his own) defense
by saying the film was “an international story.”

History certainly repeats itself.

*
Byker
2018-07-06 19:55:05 UTC
https://themuse.jezebel.com/a-fantastic-woman-director-thinks-scarlett-johanssons-t-1827387440
Producer Steven Paul came to her (and his own) defense by saying the film
was “an international story.”
History certainly repeats itself.
Brace yourself for a flood of Bollywood bombs on Netflix:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netflix-india/netflix-turns-to-bollywood-to-script-india-growth-story-idUSKBN1JU2MM
Siri Cruise
2018-07-06 19:56:12 UTC
true that the gesture of casting a cisgender actor to play a transgender role
So how long are we going to tolerate Neil Patrick Harris to portray heterosexual
men in movies like the Harold and Kumar series? This is especially grievious
because in Harris's protrayal of Harris he implies heterosexual men are nothing
but duplicitous and lustcrazed.
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-07-06 23:15:29 UTC
[...]
the movie will be a stinker because it has a story line that will be to
narrow for it to gain any steam at the box office.
--
That's Karma

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/ig-report-fbi-secret-service-planned-lynch-clinton-tarmac-meeting/
Byker
2018-07-07 10:11:38 UTC
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
the movie will be a stinker because it has a story line that will be to
narrow for it to gain any steam at the box office.
Speaking of box-office bombs, the Left calls Trump Hitler as Trump handles
North Korea, trade, jobs, tariffs et cetera. That is the opposite of Hitler.
He's a Gandhi, an orange Gandhi, which is why the Left is losing it. The
latest of course is Peter Fonda. Yes, he has lost his chopper and his
marbles. This brain-dead basket case suggested kidnapping and assaulting
Trump's son. What did I say before? Deem someone evil and you can do
anything to him. And so the Liberal manifesto has been boiled down to two
words: "FUCK YOU."

But instead of professional suicide, Fonda has a movie coming out. What
Roseanne did was zilch compared to this. The double standard thrives, but
it's not just Fonda, every celebrity. They are all dull conformists, they
think alike, talk like - at times, they even walk alike. Here they are on
the red carpet.

No wonder they hate Trump. He's a bigger star and he is more entertaining.
What would you rather watch? Sarah Sanders reducing Jim Acosta to a puddle?
Or Peter Fonda trying to eat peas? But it's not about kids really, it's
about 2020 and a willingness to cleave a country over it. Luckily, America
gets it. A new poll has a large majority believing the media is inherently
biased.
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-07-07 16:55:50 UTC
Post by Byker
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
[...]
All made out of ticky-tacky, and they all look just the same.

Miloch
2018-07-07 19:06:29 UTC
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Byker
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
[...]
http://youtu.be/VUoXtddNPAM
Actually the song was inspired by this view of Daly City that she (and anyone
else for that matter) saw everyday when commuting to SF.

https://www.famlii.com/little-boxes-ticky-tacky-folk-song-lyrics-malvina-reynolds/

I've seen this view countless times and considered myself blessed that I didn't
live there.

*

#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-07-06 23:52:14 UTC
[...]
the movie will be a stinker because it has a story line that will be too