Burnett Wasted Little Time Finding 'Survivor' Stars
edonline
2004-01-21 00:05:13 UTC
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|85851|1|,00.html

Burnett Wasted Little Time Finding 'Survivor' Stars
(Tuesday, January 20 03:31 PM)
By Rick Porter

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The casting of "Survivor" usually takes
months, with producers and casting executives rooting through
thousands of applications and videotapes to find the 16 players.

That was not the case for the upcoming "Survivor: All-Stars." If the
show's mastermind, Mark Burnett, is to be believed, the process of
picking 18 castaways from the pool of previous contestants took all of
a couple hours.

"The casting was really, really scientific," Burnett told reporters
last week. "I got a yellow legal pad and wrote down 24 names, and
[then] cut down to 18. It was that quick."

Meetings with CBS CEO Les Moonves, other network executives and
"Survivor" host Jeff Probst helped settle the roster. The results will
be on display on CBS starting Sunday, Feb. 1, after the Super Bowl.
The players are Jenna Lewis, Sue Hawk, Rudy Boesch and Richard Hatch
(the inaugural "Survivor"); Colby Donaldson, Jerry Manthey, Tina
Wesson, Alicia Calaway and Amber Brkich ("The Australian Outback");
Ethan Zohn, Lex van den Berghe and Tom Buchanan ("Africa"); Rob
Mariano and Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien ("Marquesas"); Shii Ann Huang
("Thailand"); Jenna Morasca and Rob Cesternino ("The Amazon); and
Rupert Boneham ("Pearl Islands").

Burnett says only two people who received invitations to be part of
"All-Stars" declined. "Outback" contestant Elisabeth Filarski
Hasselbeck was in the midst of her tryouts for ABC's daytime show "The
View," a job she later won. "She made a good choice, huh?" Burnett
says.

Colleen Haskell, the first show's resident cutie pie, also turned down
the offer. "[She] had moved on with her life and just genuinely didn't
want to go through that again," Burnett says.

Colby!
http://images.zap2it.com/20040119/colbydonaldson_survivorallstars_240.jpg
American Chick
I still don't get Amber. She was boring as hell.
Lisa Davidson
2004-01-21 06:40:18 UTC
Post by American Chick
Post by edonline
Meetings with CBS CEO Les Moonves, other network executives and
"Survivor" host Jeff Probst helped settle the roster. The results will
be on display on CBS starting Sunday, Feb. 1, after the Super Bowl.
The players are Jenna Lewis, Sue Hawk, Rudy Boesch and Richard Hatch
(the inaugural "Survivor"); Colby Donaldson, Jerry Manthey, Tina
Wesson, Alicia Calaway and Amber Brkich ("The Australian Outback");
Ethan Zohn, Lex van den Berghe and Tom Buchanan ("Africa"); Rob
Mariano and Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien ("Marquesas"); Shii Ann Huang
("Thailand"); Jenna Morasca and Rob Cesternino ("The Amazon); and
Rupert Boneham ("Pearl Islands").
I still don't get Amber. She was boring as hell.
Probably asked because Colleen and Elizabeth said "no". They cast this show
with "types" - and in this case, it is "attractive young woman".
American Chick
Well, at least they didn't go with Ms. Rat Eyes, that skanky Heidi.
Hush, Hush Sweet Icebreaker
2004-01-21 13:07:09 UTC
Post by American Chick
Post by edonline
Meetings with CBS CEO Les Moonves, other network executives and
"Survivor" host Jeff Probst helped settle the roster. The results will
be on display on CBS starting Sunday, Feb. 1, after the Super Bowl.
The players are Jenna Lewis, Sue Hawk, Rudy Boesch and Richard Hatch
(the inaugural "Survivor"); Colby Donaldson, Jerry Manthey, Tina
Wesson, Alicia Calaway and Amber Brkich ("The Australian Outback");
Ethan Zohn, Lex van den Berghe and Tom Buchanan ("Africa"); Rob
Mariano and Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien ("Marquesas"); Shii Ann Huang
("Thailand"); Jenna Morasca and Rob Cesternino ("The Amazon); and
Rupert Boneham ("Pearl Islands").
I still don't get Amber. She was boring as hell.
\
I agree. Where's the love for Johnny Fairplay?
--

----------------------------------
ICEBREAKER
for it."
Centre of the Known Universe
2004-01-21 08:01:01 UTC
Post by Hush, Hush Sweet Icebreaker
Post by American Chick
Post by edonline
[...]
I would have loved to see Johnny Fairplay on this one, darling, but I don't
think his star really began to shine until the last half of the series, at
which point they were already filming All Star. Even still, the producers
must have known he'd be an unforgettable character - I had the same reaction
to him as I did to Jerri from S2 and Rob from S6 - every week my jaw just
dropped in surprise and/or outrage, and it was absolutely fabulous viewing.
I wonder when the actual casting with 24 names on a legal pad took place and
if Rupert's name was on that list from the start, or if he was a late
addition once they saw what a breakout star he was in September and October?
I believe they started filming All Star around November 1st, didn't they? In
any event, hopefully Survivor will be around for years to come and we'll see
a second All Star in, oh, let's say the fall of 2007. Fabulous!

Patting Wig, Looking Great
{{{{{LCM}}}}}
Centre of the Known Universe
Official Keeper of the fabulous Dave
Mordal and the astounding Wing!

www.davemordal.com
http://wingmusic.co.nz/index.html
edonline
2004-01-21 15:15:52 UTC
Post by American Chick
Post by edonline
[...]
re: Jonny Fairplay... there's a thin line between loving to hate someone and
simply hating them and I think Burnett may have been worried about giving
the audience too much of JF at one time in such a short period