Brain-Eating Amoeba Fatalities Linked to Common Cold Remedy
Add Reply
Q JINN
2011-12-17 17:44:57 UTC
http://news.yahoo.com/brain-eating-amoeba-fatalities-linked-common-cold-re=
medy-160603508.html

Brain-Eating Amoeba Fatalities Linked to Common Cold Remedy

By Natalie Wolchover | LiveScience.com=A0-=A022 hrs ago

Louisiana's state health department has issued a warning about the
dangers of improperly using nasal-irrigation devices called neti pots,
responding to two recent deaths in the state that are thought to have
resulted from "brain-eating amoebas" entering people's brains through
their sinuses while they were using the devices.

Both victims are believed to have filled their neti pots with tap water
instead of manufacturer-recommended distilled or sterilized water. When
they used these pots to force the water up their noses and flush out
their sinus cavities "a treatment for colds and hay fever" a deadly
amoeba living in the tap water, called Naegleria fowleri, worked its way
from their sinuses into their brains. The parasitic organism infected
the victims' brains with a neurological disease called primary amoebic
meningoencephalitis (PAME), which rapidly destroys neural tissue and
typically kills sufferers in a matter of days.

Jonathan Yoder, an epidemiologist with the United States Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said the Louisiana cases are still
being investigated to ascertain that the deaths did indeed result from
exposure to treated tap water in neti pots, rather than exposure to
untreated water in a pond or lake. If so, they are the first known
incidences of the disease in the U.S. resulting from N. fowleri
organisms surviving the water treatment process.

"Nearly all the cases have resulted from exposure to warm recreational
water, such as ponds, rivers and lakes, and the kind of exposure where
the water would be forced up the nose " for example, diving and water
sports," Yoder told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to
LiveScience. The amoeba thrives in natural waterholes, especially those
in the South, and several Americans die every year from swimming in
these waterholes, or using untreated water from them. However, "in the
last 15 years, I'm not aware of other cases [in the U.S.] associated
with treated drinking water," he said.

Municipal water undergoes a rigorous purification process to make it
potable, including being treated with chlorine to kill microorganisms,
he explained. "We consider chlorination to be effective in killing [N.
fowleri]. I can't comment on any water system in Louisiana, but in
general =E2=80=A6 you may start out with 1 million amoebas and your goal
is to reduce it with chlorine, and you might get 99.9 percent out. But
you're probably never going to eliminate 100 percent. That goes for
amoebas, parasites, bacteria, viruses. So while we say our drinking
water is safe, it's not sterile." [Can Your Tap Water Kill You?]
N. fowleri only seems capable of reaching the brain if it's given a big
boost by being squirted deep into a person's nasal passages. That's why
water that is considered safe to drink or bathe in isn't necessarily
safe to use in a neti pot, Yoder said.

But if you only use distilled or previously boiled water in your neti
pot, and you avoid snorting water when diving into waterholes, can you
be sure you won't get PAME simply by splashing your face with the water
out of your faucet " especially if you live in Louisiana?

Yoder said the CDC maintains that the risk of getting PAME from normal
exposure to tap water is very low, but they are helping Louisiana's
health department investigate the water treatment process in the state.
"In general, what we're committed to is even though there are very few
cases, CDC is very committed to learning more about the organism so we
can prevent further infection by developing science-based prevention
methods. But it is a very tragic infection and we're very sad for the
families."

This story was provided by Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to
LiveScience. Follow us on Twitter @llmysteries, then join us on
Facebook. Follow Natalie Wolchover on Twitter @nattyover.

311 comments
Popular Now
Newest
Oldest
Most Replied

=A0?=A0 Washington, United States =A0?=A0 2 hours ago
Another fun thing to worry about this Christmas season...wonder how many
politicians have used neti pots?

michael =A0?=A0 Orlando, United States =A0?=A0 2 hours ago
Whew!!! Glad they cleared all that up!!... I thought for a minute it was
all this drinking I was doing!!...(hiccup, hiccup)....lol

GeorgeS =A0?=A0 Manchester, United States =A0?=A0 19 hours ago
Guess I will have to use distilled water in my neti pot or boil the
water.

Sol DuRorr =A0?=A0 Seattle, United States =A0?=A0 21 hours ago
Look, I know sniffing cocaine is illegal. But really, there are always
alternatives to letting something eat your brain. That just sounds so
discusting. And, no I can't spell. I havn't been able to since my last
cold. Hmmmmm..........

Ccmr News =A0?=A0 Salisbury, United States =A0?=A0 22 hours ago
My wife been thinking something been eating on my brain for a long time
anyhow!

Eric1 3 minutes ago
ENOUGH with the stupid POLITICS already!

Jason K =A0?=A0 Phoenix, United States =A0?=A0 4 minutes ago
If you can die within a matter of days from snorting tap water, suddenly
crystal meth and cocaine don't look so bad for you!!!

Sandra H =A0?=A0 Phoenix, United States =A0?=A0 4 minutes ago
Don't blame the medicine. And, what is this amoeba doing in our drinking
water? Basically this article should say "Don't drink the Water."

seanj 7 minutes ago
Holy #$%$ That is insane.

the final say =A0?=A0 St. Louis, United States =A0?=A0 6 minutes ago
Uh. . . The title is misleading. It said that using this is can be
fatal. It is not fatal if used correctly with pure water. Oh but it is
so nice to link natural remedies with deaths so you can line the pockets
of the pharmesutical companies, eh yahoo?!

colby010 =A0?=A0 Bloomfield, United States =A0?=A0 13 minutes ago
how is the neti pot responsible for the amoeba's. If you are supposed to
use distilled water, and not use tap water, then the issue would be with
the tap water . contamination ie. article july12,2011 dow company found
responsible for water contamination in louisiana. secondly, for all of
you that didn't feel that chemistry was a much needed course. bacteria
are killed when heat is added and if there are any other chemicals added
to the water there is a change with those chemicals as well
Q JINN
2011-12-17 18:40:27 UTC
http://healing.about.com/b/2011/08/18/neti-pot-is-vehicle-brain-eating-par=
asite-entered-body.htm

Neti Pot is Vehicle Brain-Eating Parasite Entered Man's Body
By=A0Phylameana lila Desy, About.com Guide=A0=A0 August 18, 2011

I routinely cleanse my sinuses with the use of a saline wash through the
delivery of a neti pot. So, when I learned that the use of a neti pot
was traced to the rare death of a Louisiana man who succumbed to a brain
infection I was very surprised, but not alarmed. The investigation into
his death shows this was an isolated case traced to a parasite found in
the man's home water system.

The brain-eating ameba (amoeba) is also blamed for the death of two
children this summer after swimming. This parasite, called Naegleria
fowleri, is generally found in warm freshwater (ponds, lakes, rivers) or
natural hot springs. The ameba enters the brain through the nose causing
a fatal infection.

It is important to point out that this condition is very rare. But, to
err on the side of caution, Dr. Raoult Ratard, Louisiana's state
epidemiologist, recommends using only sterile, distilled, or boiled
water in neti pots.
Judy Scobee
2011-12-17 21:18:16 UTC
Who would have thought years ago that in the USA, we shouldn't drink our
tap water, but buy bottled water or a Brita filtering container or
system . . . or boil the water we're gonna drink/use! I recall it was
safe to drink tap water, even though it's now having fluoride in it . .
. plus maybe people's thrown out drugs, too! Yikes!

=Judy=
m***@gmail.com
2018-06-28 07:26:27 UTC
Yah well trust and believe that I’m a sole survivor of this amoeba attack in my brain. I was murdered by these asshole scientists in Korea who deliberately used this parasite as a means to eat my brain because I’m smarter than most people on this planet and have the ability to see through all the lies and bullshit. Well little did they know that I also have the ability to heal myself and and I’m immune to everything. Any harm done to me will only reconmence the evil act on their own heads. I’m here for a purpose and that purpose is to make a speedy ridense of the evil doers. I search them out so they can all be judged accordingly and I bring the evil nations down low and bring the lie to the surface.
Miloch
2018-06-28 13:33:27 UTC
Yah well trust and believe that I=E2=80=99m a sole survivor of this amoeba =
attack in my brain. I was murdered by these asshole scientists in Korea wh=
o deliberately used this parasite as a means to eat my brain because I=E2=
=80=99m smarter than most people on this planet and have the ability to see=
through all the lies and bullshit. Well little did they know that I also =
have the ability to heal myself and and I'm immune to everything. =
Any harm done to me will only reconmence the evil act on their own heads. I'm
here for a purpose and that purpose is to make a speedy ridense =
of the evil doers. I search them out so they can all be judged accordingly =
and I bring the evil nations down low and bring the lie to the surface.
First things first, Mikee...use your 'abilities' to improve your sentence
structure and spelling.