The Joker's Lovelife: Cesar Romero Interview
Add Reply
m***@gmail.com
2018-06-30 21:37:39 UTC
Hollywood Gays
By Boze Hadleigh
(exerpts of interview with Cesar Romero)
Found this interesting interview with Cesar Romero about homosexuality in
Hollywood during the Golden Era. I'm not sure when this interview happened, but
I got the impression it was in the 1990's just before he died. The whole
article was too long to post but I included the juicy parts about his flings
with Tyrone Power and Desi Arnaz. You can read the entire article here;
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/7537/gay.htm
<snip>
<<Cesar--as I eventually called him--was an avid and thoughtful
conversationalist on most topics. On one he was unwilling and protective: "my
close friend, my dear friend, Ty Power." He never stated what most of Hollywood
knew at the time--that they were lovers. When he spoke of Power on TV, he would
mention Tyrone's wives or girlfriends--real or imaginary--and although he
admitted to me that Power was "bisexual," even that was uttered reluctantly. A
closeted movie actor friend--best known for his role on a TV series about a
policewoman--himself also legally (if not actually) single, declared, "I gather
Ty was rather tortured about it. He was a prominent movie star and icon. He
wanted to be straight, but more than that, he was terrified of being found out.
"Cesar's not a movie star, and never had the same pressure or fears. And I
think he's more comfortable within himself, he's a survivor [Power died at
44].... When Cesar talks about Ty, he feels he's being loyal to him, even if
those same pressures and fears don't exist anymore. Or not to the same degree."
Q: Those wonderful Latin looks, eh?
A: I'm not the only one. You know who had a crush on Gilbert? Lucille Ball. I
don't know if they had an affair, but several people in this town believed they
would end up married.
Q: Instead she married another Latin--and you worked with him, didn't you? (He
grins.) A renowned, or notorious, ladies' man. Did you ever have a crush on
Desi Arnaz?
A: (Nods.) Desi loved sex. He couldn't get enough.
Q: How about that syndrome, the Casanova thing, where a man--a Don Juan--who
has hundreds of female lovers, at some point along the way also has a few male
ones?
A: Well, of course! An erection's an erection. It just wants satisfaction.
Wasn't it ... was it Gertrude Stein who said a mouth is a mouth is a mouth?
Q: Could be. There didn't used to be surveys on this topic, but now they
indicate that more men enjoy oral sex--receiving it--than the standard
male-female sexual position, the "missionary," for want of a better word.
A: They may prefer it, but until not so long ago, a man, a regular married man,
didn't know where to get it. Mostly, they had to do without. Wives or
girlfriends wouldn't do it. Guys had to go to a professional and pay her.
Q: Or ...?
A: Or something like a highway rest stop where the truckers go. "Glory holes,"
they call them. Which gives a new meaning to the old expression, "gone to
glory." (Smirks.) So, anonymous oral sex--no names, no faces. So that the
fellow can still think of himself as ... living a completely normal life.
Right?
Q: It helps him think of himself as just one category, instead of as simply
sexual. The Greeks, for instance, didn't have words for "heterosexual" or
"homosexual."
A: Smart people, the Greeks. You mean the ancient Greeks?
Q: Of course. Not the Greek Orthodox. So did Desi Arnaz ever know how you felt?
A: He'd have been rather slow if he didn't. He knew he was pretty
irresistible--I mean well before I Love Lucy, and even then. And he knew about
me, and ... I guess he could see it in the eyes. When someone's acting for a
scene, they can fool the camera. But in everyday life, unless you're watching
and censoring yourself every minute, or spending all your time in the company
of ladies, what you feel is bound to show in your eyes. Sooner or later.
Q: Men look. Most men, any type.
A: Yes. And to make a very pleasant story short, one day Desi said to me, "All
right, we both know what you want. Let's get it over with." We did. End of
story.
Q: Just once?
A: (Grins widely.) Men aren't potato chips....
Q: But I'll bet--
A: Desi said "one time only." For our friendship. Neither of us made a big deal
out of it, excuse the pun, and we never referred to it again.
Q: Do you think Lucy ever knew?
A: Of course not! It would have been the least of her worries, later on. And I
know I wasn't the only one; Dorothy Kilgallen's husband (Arnaz's Broadway
co-star Richard Kollmar) was another man. Desi loved pleasure. Who doesn't? He
wasn't "compromised," as they say. He received the pleasure, for a change. I
mean, Desi screwed women, and he never got screwed--physically; in Hollywood,
everyone gets screwed--so how much more heterosexual than that does anyone have
to be?
Besides, it didn't harm anyone or create problems. Later, when he was cheating
on his wife all over the place, in addition to his problem with alcoholism,
that led to heartaches for poor Lucille.
Q: It's certainly true that if a man with a wife goes outside--
A: The expression used to be "steps out."
Q: If he "steps out" for ... a frolic with another man--and there's any number
of things either or both can do, or not do--it should cause no problem. But if
he steps out on her with another woman, he may later decide to leave his
wife--and their kids--for her, or he may impregnate the girlfriend or
mistress--
A: As well as spending household money on the mistress!
Q: Right, and all of that would certainly create problems and heartache.
A: When it's same-sex, no one gets pregnant. Before there was the pill, and
before women made themselves so sexually available, that was a big
consideration.
Q: It's still a big one in Latin America, Asia, and Africa. Heterosexual sex,
because of pregnancy, must occur within legal marriage. Thus, young, unmarried
men often have sex with each other as relief and an alternative.
A: You said it. But you know something? They don't think of themselves as gay.
I've heard it over and over.
Q: Denial. Even though it takes two people to perform one homosexual act.
A: Yes! When they could just think of themselves as flexible. Or just plain
sexual. But there's something you younger kids don't realize. In the, uh, old
days (cocks an eyebrow) ... how shall I? ... fellatio was a big status symbol.
If someone was willing to do that for you, you felt like a king. Few would have
said no.
Q: Once.
A: Yes. Twice might be embarrassing.
Q: I think it was Voltaire who said, or wrote, "Once, a philosopher. Twice, a
sodomite."
A: (Laughs and claps hands.) Very good! But I think he must have been referring
to that other activity?>>
<snip>
Miloch
2018-06-30 23:54:03 UTC
[...]
A: I'm not the only one. You know who had a crush on Gilbert? Lucille Ball. I
don't know if they had an affair, but several people in this town believed they
would end up married.
Q: Instead she married another Latin--and you worked with him, didn't you? (He
grins.) A renowned, or notorious, ladies' man. Did you ever have a crush on
Desi Arnaz?
A: (Nods.) Desi loved sex. He couldn't get enough.
Q: How about that syndrome, the Casanova thing, where a man--a Don Juan--who
has hundreds of female lovers, at some point along the way also has a few male
ones?
A: Well, of course! An erection's an erection. It just wants satisfaction.
Wasn't it ... was it Gertrude Stein who said a mouth is a mouth is a mouth?
Q: Could be. There didn't used to be surveys on this topic, but now they
indicate that more men enjoy oral sex--receiving it--than the standard
male-female sexual position, the "missionary," for want of a better word.
A: They may prefer it, but until not so long ago, a man, a regular married man,
didn't know where to get it. Mostly, they had to do without. Wives or
girlfriends wouldn't do it. Guys had to go to a professional and pay her.
Q: Or ...?
A: Or something like a highway rest stop where the truckers go. "Glory holes,"
they call them. Which gives a new meaning to the old expression, "gone to
glory." (Smirks.) So, anonymous oral sex--no names, no faces. So that the
fellow can still think of himself as ... living a completely normal life.
Right?
Q: It helps him think of himself as just one category, instead of as simply
sexual. The Greeks, for instance, didn't have words for "heterosexual" or
"homosexual."
A: Smart people, the Greeks. You mean the ancient Greeks?
Q: Of course. Not the Greek Orthodox. So did Desi Arnaz ever know how you felt?
A: He'd have been rather slow if he didn't. He knew he was pretty
irresistible--I mean well before I Love Lucy, and even then. And he knew about
me, and ... I guess he could see it in the eyes. When someone's acting for a
scene, they can fool the camera. But in everyday life, unless you're watching
and censoring yourself every minute, or spending all your time in the company
of ladies, what you feel is bound to show in your eyes. Sooner or later.
Q: Men look. Most men, any type.
A: Yes. And to make a very pleasant story short, one day Desi said to me, "All
right, we both know what you want. Let's get it over with." We did. End of
story.
Q: Just once?
A: (Grins widely.) Men aren't potato chips....
Q: But I'll bet--
A: Desi said "one time only." For our friendship. Neither of us made a big deal
out of it, excuse the pun, and we never referred to it again.
Q: Do you think Lucy ever knew?
A: Of course not! It would have been the least of her worries, later on. And I
know I wasn't the only one; Dorothy Kilgallen's husband (Arnaz's Broadway
co-star Richard Kollmar) was another man. Desi loved pleasure. Who doesn't? He
wasn't "compromised," as they say. He received the pleasure, for a change. I
mean, Desi screwed women, and he never got screwed--physically; in Hollywood,
everyone gets screwed--so how much more heterosexual than that does anyone have
to be?
Besides, it didn't harm anyone or create problems. Later, when he was cheating
on his wife all over the place, in addition to his problem with alcoholism,
that led to heartaches for poor Lucille.
Q: It's certainly true that if a man with a wife goes outside--
A: The expression used to be "steps out."
Q: If he "steps out" for ... a frolic with another man--and there's any number
of things either or both can do, or not do--it should cause no problem. But if
he steps out on her with another woman, he may later decide to leave his
wife--and their kids--for her, or he may impregnate the girlfriend or
mistress--
A: As well as spending household money on the mistress!
Q: Right, and all of that would certainly create problems and heartache.
A: When it's same-sex, no one gets pregnant. Before there was the pill, and
before women made themselves so sexually available, that was a big
consideration.
Q: It's still a big one in Latin America, Asia, and Africa. Heterosexual sex,
because of pregnancy, must occur within legal marriage. Thus, young, unmarried
men often have sex with each other as relief and an alternative.
A: You said it. But you know something? They don't think of themselves as gay.
I've heard it over and over.
Q: Denial. Even though it takes two people to perform one homosexual act.
A: Yes! When they could just think of themselves as flexible. Or just plain
sexual. But there's something you younger kids don't realize. In the, uh, old
days (cocks an eyebrow) ... how shall I? ... fellatio was a big status symbol.
If someone was willing to do that for you, you felt like a king. Few would have
said no.
Q: Once.
A: Yes. Twice might be embarrassing.
Q: I think it was Voltaire who said, or wrote, "Once, a philosopher. Twice, a
sodomite."
A: (Laughs and claps hands.) Very good! But I think he must have been referring
to that other activity?>>
<snip>
...I think it's safe to assume that homosexual activity no longer exists in
Hollywood...it's all moved over to the Republican Party and put back in the
closet where it belongs.