After School Shooting, Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick Boldly Suggests... Door Control
2018-05-19 15:26:45 UTC
https://theslot.jezebel.com/after-school-shooting-texas-lt-gov-dan-patrick-boldl-1826154518#spbg4pc71

Republicans, who have so far sought to address school shootings by offering
prayers, arming teachers, equipping students with clear backpacks, and
increasing security at schools, now have another strategy: limit the number of
entryways (what Jezebel senior editor Joanna Rothkopf dubbed “door control”). In
the wake of the school shooting outside Houston, Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, a
staunch opponent of gun control, offered this: “Maybe we need to look at
limiting the entrances and exits into our schools.” Then he went all-in with
this very bad solution, which is also a serious fire hazard: “Had there been one
single entrance possibly for every student, maybe he would have been stopped.”
It’s amazing, and sad, how far Republicans will go to avoid addressing gun
control.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/18/17369832/santa-fe-high-texas-shooting-dan-patrick

After Friday’s shooting at Santa Fe High School, in which at least 10 people
were killed and another 10 wounded, several of the state’s leading politicians —
Gov. Greg Abbott, Sen. Ted Cruz, and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick — gave a press
conference to talk about the tragedy.

It was a sober affair until Patrick took the mic.

The lieutenant governor, a social conservative firebrand who recently pushed to
allow concealed carry in churches, listed off a series of what he called
“outside the box” ideas for stopping school shootings. These included having
students enter schools at different times (so there’d be fewer crowds to shoot
at), parents doing a better job locking up their guns, and, most remarkably,
limiting the number of doorways into schools.

“There are too many entrances and too many exits to our over 8,000 campuses,”
Patrick said. “There aren’t enough people to put a guard at every entry and
exit.”

There are a number of practical problems with this idea. If you have a mass
shooter in the building, you don’t want to trap people in the building. It’s not
obvious that security guards would be able to spot someone concealing a weapon
even if they were at every door; in fact, there were two armed guards at Santa
Fe on Friday. And closing most of the entryways to a school would create a
serious fire hazard.

More fundamentally, this all feels like an absurd kind of deflection. As my
colleague German Lopez writes, the solutions to gun violence “aren’t a big
mystery”: they’re gun control measures, like universal background checks and
mandatory buybacks. There is a mountain of evidence that the best way to stop
people from killing with guns is to stop them from getting guns in the first
place.

more at
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/18/17369832/santa-fe-high-texas-shooting-dan-patrick

*
David Hartung
2018-05-19 15:44:34 UTC
[...]
As I understand, in most schools all doorways other than the main entry
are locked during the day, in order to prevent an unauthorized entry.
Siri Cruise
2018-05-19 17:56:06 UTC
Post by David Hartung
As I understand, in most schools all doorways other than the main entry
are locked during the day, in order to prevent an unauthorized entry.
But many schools are not built as prison blocks. Most classrooms have a separate
exterior door.
David Hartung

Where is this?
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-05-19 22:22:34 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by David Hartung
As I understand, in most schools all doorways other than the main entry
are locked during the day, in order to prevent an unauthorized entry.
But many schools are not built as prison blocks. Most classrooms have a separate
exterior door.
And you still have school shootings don't you, so it may be time to look
into securing them instead of ignoring them.
That's Karma
Siri Cruise
2018-05-20 05:58:13 UTC
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by David Hartung
As I understand, in most schools all doorways other than the main entry
are locked during the day, in order to prevent an unauthorized entry.
But many schools are not built as prison blocks. Most classrooms have a separate
exterior door.
And you still have school shootings don't you, so it may be time to look
into securing them instead of ignoring them.
Not so many school invasion shootings, especially relative to the population.

We can't afford to tear down most schools and rebuild them as prisons.
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-05-20 17:26:13 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by David Hartung
As I understand, in most schools all doorways other than the main entry
are locked during the day, in order to prevent an unauthorized entry.
But many schools are not built as prison blocks. Most classrooms have a separate
exterior door.
And you still have school shootings don't you, so it may be time to look
into securing them instead of ignoring them.
Not so many school invasion shootings, especially relative to the population.
We can't afford to tear down most schools and rebuild them as prisons.
If you had that many deaths from a food or an alcohol product you'd
close them down until you could solve the problem wouldn't you....

So why NOT close the schools as quickly when there seems to be mad cow
disease or some other mental problem or psych drug causing it?

Dead kids are starting to pile up due to the way schools are organized
and run. May kids need a test to see if they are mentally stable before
they can be placed in a closed environment with thousands of other
kids... you do require vaccines so why NOT a mental inoculation to make
sure they aren't going to spread their mental illness and delusions to
others?
That's Karma
Siri Cruise
2018-05-20 19:43:05 UTC
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by David Hartung
As I understand, in most schools all doorways other than the main entry
are locked during the day, in order to prevent an unauthorized entry.
But many schools are not built as prison blocks. Most classrooms have a separate
exterior door.
And you still have school shootings don't you, so it may be time to look
into securing them instead of ignoring them.
Not so many school invasion shootings, especially relative to the population.
We can't afford to tear down most schools and rebuild them as prisons.
If you had that many deaths from a food or an alcohol product you'd
close them down until you could solve the problem wouldn't you....
You know those California gun control laws you whine about? They work.
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-05-21 15:18:50 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by David Hartung
As I understand, in most schools all doorways other than the main entry
are locked during the day, in order to prevent an unauthorized entry.
But many schools are not built as prison blocks. Most classrooms have a separate
exterior door.
And you still have school shootings don't you, so it may be time to look
into securing them instead of ignoring them.
Not so many school invasion shootings, especially relative to the population.
We can't afford to tear down most schools and rebuild them as prisons.
If you had that many deaths from a food or an alcohol product you'd
close them down until you could solve the problem wouldn't you....
You know those California gun control laws you whine about? They work.
The Texas shooting could have happened in California even after
California banned AR-15's and magazines that hold more than 5 bullets.

The Bombs too....
That's Karma
Miloch
2018-05-21 19:48:24 UTC
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by David Hartung
[...]
As a Northern Californian, I believe the rule is that all killing is to be
accomplished with clubs and knives only...of course, Southern California might
be different.

*

David Hartung
How does that change things?
Mitchell Holman
2018-05-19 17:57:50 UTC
Post by David Hartung
Post by Miloch
[...]
There was no "unauthorized entry". As with
Columbine, the shooter was a student with the
same access to the school as all the other
students.
Miloch
2018-05-19 22:00:27 UTC
In article <***@216.166.97.131>, Mitchell Holman
says...
Post by Mitchell Holman
Post by David Hartung
Post by Miloch
[...]
That certainly puts a fly in the lieutenant governor's ointment...

2018-05-20 06:08:26 UTC
Post by Mitchell Holman
There was no "unauthorized entry". As with
Columbine, the shooter was a student with the
same access to the school as all the other
students.
That certainly puts a fly in the lieutenant governor's ointment...
When doors are outlawed, only outlaws will have doors.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/door/4005-56947/
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-05-20 15:04:23 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Miloch
Post by Mitchell Holman
There was no "unauthorized entry". As with
Columbine, the shooter was a student with the
same access to the school as all the other
students.
That certainly puts a fly in the lieutenant governor's ointment...
When doors are outlawed, only outlaws will have doors.
AR-15's could have been outlawed and this was still going to happen...

Put a steel door in with a good lock and the kids could have been
delayed or stopped until police showed up.

Why do banks, Liquor stores and Jewelry stores have doors with locks?
That's Karma
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-05-19 22:12:38 UTC
Post by Mitchell Holman
Post by David Hartung
Post by Miloch
[...]
Authorized entry should mean through the doors where they are greeted by
security..... They need to then be scanned sniffed by cute puppies for
explosives and gun powder residue and ammunition....

Maybe their lockers need to be outside the secure classroom areas and
any books they need they can go out and bring back in through security.

Otherwise maybe we should rethink the whole concept of school being a
central location like a Library is no longer in a building we just
access the library from the internet. Sort of a system of home school
for as many as possible.

Why do they need back packs with books if they each sit at a computer
station? They should have nothing to carry. They can access all their
notes from the school computer system from home and vise-verse. No more
dog eating the homework.
--
That's Karma