Senate approves spending bill without provision to ban arming teachers
Add Reply
Democrats Brainwash Children
2018-08-26 09:17:07 UTC
The Senate overwhelmingly approved an $854 billion measure
Thursday that combines military spending with disbursements for
the departments of Health and Human Services, Education, Labor
and other agencies.

The 85-7 vote sends the measure to the House and means the
Senate has now passed nine of the 12 mandatory spending bills
for the budget year that begins Oct. 1.

The House has approved a $675 billion spending bill for the
Defense Department, but has not voted on a spending measure for
labor, health and education. Senators from both parties have
said they want to keep the two measures attached. The bills must
be merged into a single product that passes both the House and
Senate before they can be sent to the White House for President
Trump's signature.

The bill did not include any formal proposal to prohibit the
arming of schoolteachers, despite threats by Democrats to draft
an amendment barring the Department of Education from using
funds allocated by Congress for the purpose.

Under current law, the Trump administration is allowed to use
the money to arm teachers through the end of September.

The bill boosts military pay by 2.6 percent, the largest
increase in nearly a decade, and ups funding for the National
Institutes of Health by 5 percent.

Republicans cited defense spending in urging support for the
measure, which accounts for about two-thirds of federal spending
for the 2019 budget year.

The 5 percent boost for NIH is the fourth straight significant
increase for the biomedical research agency. The measure would
hike spending for Alzheimer's research to more than $2.3
billion, essentially quadrupling spending levels from four years
ago on a disease that requires hundreds of billions of dollars
for dementia-related care.

Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., chairman of the Appropriations
subcommittee on labor and health, said that if the United States
does not find a solution to the disease by 2050, "we will be
spending about twice today's defense budget on Alzheimer's care."

The bill also would provide a $145 million increase for
treatment of opioid addiction, bringing spending to $3.7 billion
to confront what lawmakers called an epidemic of abuse.

It would also boost spending for the Head Start preschool
program and increase maximum Pell Grants for college education.

Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., chairman of the Senate
Appropriations Committee, said the vote "shows what the Senate
can do working together. We all know it's not easy, but it
works."

Some conservatives criticized Republicans for going along with
Democratic demands for increases in non-defense spending that
match the increase in defense spending. The Heritage Foundation,
a conservative think tank, said the bill "continues to fund
wasteful and ineffective programs that should be curtailed or
eliminated entirely" and omits several policy riders important
to conservatives.

Senate leaders from both parties have agreed to avoid attaching
so-called poison pill proposals to spending legislation to
ensure passage.

The Senate rejected an amendment sponsored by Sen. Rand Paul, R-
Ky., to block taxpayer dollars from going to Planned Parenthood
and other groups that perform abortions. Paul said the amendment
offered Republicans who "profess pro-life values" a chance "to
turn our words into action, stand up for the sanctity of life
and speak out for the most innocent among us that have no voice."

Only 45 senators voted in favor of the proposal.

Senate leaders also blocked an amendment by Sen. Joe Manchin, D-
W.Va., to allow the Senate to intervene in a Texas lawsuit that
could upend health-care protections for people with pre-existing
medical conditions. The Trump administration has said it will no
longer defend key parts of the Obama-era Affordable Care Act in
court.

"What's happening today in the Senate is disgusting," Manchin
said after the amendment was blocked. He said Senate Majority
Leader Mitch McConnell "chose to play politics with the health
care of millions of Americans," including about 1.8 million
people with pre-existing conditions in his home state of
Kentucky.

"This is not a Democratic or Republican issue, this is life or
death to many," Manchin said.

Manchin's election opponent, West Virginia Attorney General
Patrick Morrissey, has joined states challenging the health care
law.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/23/senate-approves-
spending-bill-without-provision-to-ban-arming-
teachers.html?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork
Mr. B1ack
2018-08-27 02:19:17 UTC
Democrats Brainwash Children wrote

> The Senate overwhelmingly approved an $854 billion measure
> Thursday that combines military spending with disbursements for
> the departments of Health and Human Services, Education, Labor
> and other agencies.

Jesus says in the Bible that we should kill rightists. Some disagree.

Rightists love to spend taxpayer money and borrow even more when they run
out. Should teachers teach children that rightists will rape them if they
don't prevent it by killing them? Trump lovers prefer raping boys.