Egyptian Singer Sentenced to Two Years in Prison Over Music Video in Which She Suggestively Eats Fruit
2017-12-13 18:08:25 UTC
https://jezebel.com/egyptian-singer-sentenced-to-two-years-in-prison-over-m-1821244548

21-year-old Egyptian pop singer Shaimaa Ahmed, who goes professionally by
“Shyma,” was reportedly found guilty on Tuesday of “inciting debauchery” and
publishing a lewd film.

According to the Guardian, a Cairo court sentenced Shyma to two years in prison
for this crime, and fined her 10,000 pounds. Mohamed Gamal, who directed the
video, received the same sentence and both will be given a chance to appeal the
ruling.

The video, for which Shyma was arrested on November 18, for her song “I Have
Issues,” features the singer eating an apple and a banana in her underwear in
front of a classroom of young men. The Guardian characterizes her style of
eating as “suggestive.”

The video was discussed widely on social media and talk shows in Egypt,
prompting plenty of conservative condemnation.

In a statement released on her Facebook page shortly after the video was posted,
Shyma apologized and explained that she was surprised by the public opprobrium.

“I didn’t imagine all this would happen and that I would be subjected to such a
strong attack from everyone, as a young singer … who has dreamt from a young age
of being a singer,” Shyma wrote. According to the BBC, the post has since been
deleted.

video --->

*
Alan Smithee
2017-12-14 06:05:27 UTC
https://jezebel.com/egyptian-singer-sentenced-to-two-years-in-prison-over-m-1821244548
21-year-old Egyptian pop singer Shaimaa Ahmed, who goes professionally by
"Shyma," was reportedly found guilty on Tuesday of "inciting debauchery" and
publishing a lewd film.
When will the world finally learn that sex is evil, unnatural, and wrong?
If she'd shot people in her video, now that would be acceptable and good.
Post by Miloch
According to the Guardian, a Cairo court sentenced Shyma to two years in prison
for this crime, and fined her 10,000 pounds. Mohamed Gamal, who directed the
video, received the same sentence and both will be given a chance to appeal the
ruling.
Yeah, I'm sure they will win their case.
Post by Miloch
The video, for which Shyma was arrested on November 18, for her song "I Have
Issues," features the singer eating an apple and a banana in her underwear in
front of a classroom of young men. The Guardian characterizes her style of
eating as "suggestive."
Of what? Eating fruit in a classroom?
Post by Miloch
The video was discussed widely on social media and talk shows in Egypt,
prompting plenty of conservative condemnation.
They should watch some Katy Perry ("California Girls") or Britney Spears
("Womanizer") videos.
Post by Miloch
In a statement released on her Facebook page shortly after the video was posted,
Shyma apologized and explained that she was surprised by the public opprobrium.
I guess she wasn't paying attention to her own government.