Oprah Keeps Her Sets Free of Harassment By Simply Being Picky About Who She Works With
2017-11-08 20:38:00 UTC
https://jezebel.com/oprah-keeps-her-sets-free-of-harassment-by-simply-being-1820259607

Speaking to reporters at the second series finale party for the wonderful Queen
Sugar, Oprah shared one very simple method she uses for insuring that her sets
are free of harassment: being picky.

Is it so truly revolutionary? Would one think that by simply being choosy about
who you work with, harassment on-set and in life could be minimized? “We don’t
want any assholes around us,” she said, before laying out precisely how to avoid
the classic Hollywood problem of a room full of assholes and potential sexual
predators intent on maintaining their power via intimidation.

From People:

“First of all starting with all-female directors,” she continued. “Ava
[DuVernay] casts from the spirit of the person and looks for skill and talent.
You’re casting with the very idea of surrounding yourself and when you’re
looking at casting you’re looking at ‘Does this guy fit with this woman? Does
this little boy fit? Could those two people have had that boy? And how do we
make this family?’”

“So we’re looking at those things and not just looking at who’s gonna be the
star and take the lead but looking at how does it all integrate so that it can
evolve into something bigger.”

Solid advice for casting and making films that feel believable and are also
safe-enough spaces for the people working behind the scenes. Imagine choosing a
person for a project based not just on their “star power” and their shininess
and the money behind their name. Imagine casting a movie based on talent and
whether or not someone is fundamentally a good person—imagine. Oprah, as always,
is right.

*
Travoltron
2017-11-11 02:33:57 UTC
I trust Oprah's judgement of people about as far as I could throw her.
She imposed the quacks Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz upon us all.