Lawsuit Alleging Trump Violated the Constitution to Proceed
2018-07-25 22:22:30 UTC
https://theslot.jezebel.com/lawsuit-alleging-trump-violated-the-constitution-to-pro-1827872319

A lawsuit filed by attorneys general in Maryland and Washington D.C. alleging
that Donald Trump violated the Constitution will continue, the Washington Post
reports, despite Trump’s efforts to dismiss the case.

U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte has agreed to hear a case arguing that, by
overseeing the Trump Organization, which conducts business overseas, Trump broke
a set of obscure anti-corruption laws known as the Emoluments Clauses that bar
public officials from accepting payments from foreign officials. (He resigned
from the business, but this means nothing, as he has not fully divested).
According to the Post, this appears to be the “first time the first time a
federal judge had interpreted those Constitutional provisions and applied their
restrictions to a sitting president.”

From the Post:

Messitte’s 52-page opinion said that, in the modern context, the Constitution’s
ban on “emoluments” could apply to Trump — that it could cover any business
transactions with foreign governments where Trump derived a “profit, gain or
advantage.”

“This includes profits from private transactions, even those involving services
given at fair market value,” Messitte wrote.

“In sum, Plaintiffs have plausibly alleged that the President has been receiving
or is potentially able to receive ‘emoluments’ . . . in violation of
the Constitution,” Messitte wrote.

The Justice Department, which is reviewing the decision and may appeal, released
a statement saying, “We continue to maintain that this case should be
dismissed.”

Trump’s previous defense has been “I have a no-conflict situation because I’m
president,” which makes absolutely no sense, unless of course by “president” he
means “man who is above the law.”

I ask, again: is it crime time yet?

more at
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal-judge-allows-emoluments-case-against-trump-to-proceed/2018/07/25/c8070206-8fa4-11e8-8322-b5482bf5e0f5_story.html?utm_term=.d87df761263d

*
NoBody
2018-07-26 13:32:29 UTC

He was appointed by Clinton. There's a shock...
Siri Cruise
2018-07-26 14:24:46 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
NoBody <***@nowhere.com> wrote:

> He was appointed by Clinton. There's a shock...

Irrelevant. Unless you think your political enemies should be allowed to ignore
the Supremes when the majority are appointed by Republicans.

Do you think California should be allowed to ignore federal court decisions it
doesn't like because why should an elected super-majority Democrat body be
controlled by an appointed majority Republican body? Does that sound fair to
you? Do you think any Democrat can get a fair hearing before Republican majority
court?

This is where you whine 'but that's different.'

This post / \
Yet another supercilious snowflake for justice. insults Islam. Mohammed
NoBody
2018-07-27 14:28:59 UTC

It goes to his political bias...duh!
Siri Cruise
2018-07-27 15:26:41 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
NoBody <***@nowhere.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 07:24:46 -0700, Siri Cruise <***@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <***@4ax.com>,
> > NoBody <***@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >
> >> He was appointed by Clinton. There's a shock...
> >
> >Irrelevant. Unless you think your political enemies should be allowed to
> >ignore
> >the Supremes when the majority are appointed by Republicans.
>
> It goes to his political bias...duh!

Do the Supremes enjoy your assuredness in their bias?

Miloch
2018-07-26 16:21:24 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, NoBody says...

>On 25 Jul 2018 15:22:30 -0700, Miloch <***@newsguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>https://theslot.jezebel.com/lawsuit-alleging-trump-violated-the-constitution-to-pro-1827872319
>>
>>A lawsuit filed by attorneys general in Maryland and Washington D.C. alleging
>>that Donald Trump violated the Constitution will continue, the Washington Post
>>reports, despite Trump’s efforts to dismiss the case.
>>
>>U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte has agreed to hear a case arguing that, by
>>overseeing the Trump Organization, which conducts business overseas, Trump broke
>>a set of obscure anti-corruption laws known as the Emoluments Clauses that bar
>>public officials from accepting payments from foreign officials. (He resigned
>>from the business, but this means nothing, as he has not fully divested).
>>According to the Post, this appears to be the “first time the first time a
>>federal judge had interpreted those Constitutional provisions and applied their
>>restrictions to a sitting president.”
>>

>He was appointed by Clinton. There's a shock...

...been hittin' that sizzurp a little early today...haventya!!

*
NoBody
2018-07-27 14:29:27 UTC
On 26 Jul 2018 09:21:24 -0700, Miloch <***@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>In article <***@4ax.com>, NoBody says...
>>
>>On 25 Jul 2018 15:22:30 -0700, Miloch <***@newsguy.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>https://theslot.jezebel.com/lawsuit-alleging-trump-violated-the-constitution-to-pro-1827872319
>>>
>>>A lawsuit filed by attorneys general in Maryland and Washington D.C. alleging
>>>that Donald Trump violated the Constitution will continue, the Washington Post
>>>reports, despite Trump’s efforts to dismiss the case.
>>>
>>>U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte has agreed to hear a case arguing that, by
>>>overseeing the Trump Organization, which conducts business overseas, Trump broke
>>>a set of obscure anti-corruption laws known as the Emoluments Clauses that bar
>>>public officials from accepting payments from foreign officials. (He resigned
>>>from the business, but this means nothing, as he has not fully divested).
>>>According to the Post, this appears to be the “first time the first time a
>>>federal judge had interpreted those Constitutional provisions and applied their
>>>restrictions to a sitting president.”
>>>

>>He was appointed by Clinton. There's a shock...
>

>...been hittin' that sizzurp a little early today...haventya!!

You mean he wasn't appointed by Clinton? Do tell.

Winston_Smith
2018-07-26 16:40:17 UTC
On 7/26/2018 6:32 AM, NoBody wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2018 15:22:30 -0700, Miloch <***@newsguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>> https://theslot.jezebel.com/lawsuit-alleging-trump-violated-the-constitution-to-pro-1827872319
>>
>> A lawsuit filed by attorneys general in Maryland and Washington D.C. alleging
>> that Donald Trump violated the Constitution will continue, the Washington Post
>> reports, despite Trump’s efforts to dismiss the case.
>>
>> U.S. District Judge Peter J. Messitte has agreed to hear a case arguing that, by
>> overseeing the Trump Organization, which conducts business overseas, Trump broke
>> a set of obscure anti-corruption laws known as the Emoluments Clauses that bar
>> public officials from accepting payments from foreign officials. (He resigned
>>from the business, but this means nothing, as he has not fully divested).
>> According to the Post, this appears to be the “first time the first time a
>> federal judge had interpreted those Constitutional provisions and applied their
>> restrictions to a sitting president.”
>>

> He was appointed by Clinton.

/ad hominem/ noted and mocked. Is his ruling correct, or isn't it?
You admit to being incompetent to say.