GOP Rep. Gohmert invokes "civil war" following impeachment vote
2019-11-01 15:25:43 UTC
https://www.axios.com/louie-gohmert-impeachment-trump-civil-war-guns-8cae6cbb-762e-40c1-be5d-2b685c98268c.html

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) gave a House floor speech following the first major
vote on impeachment Thursday, calling the measure a "coup" against President
Trump and warning of a potential "civil war."

The big picture: The House voted 232-196 on Thursday to formally introduce the
impeachment inquiry against President Trump after Republicans said the inquiry
is not legitimate because a full House vote had not been held.

•Republicans have been protesting an alleged lack of transparency in the
impeachment process. Gohmert complained that "armed guards" were outside a
secure room where depositions were recently held.

What he's saying: "Never in the history of this country have we had such gross
unfairness that one party would put armed guards with guns to prevent the duly
authorized people from being able to hear the witnesses and see them for
themselves," Gohmert stated.

•“It’s about to push this country to a civil war if they were to get their
wishes. And if there’s one thing I don’t want to see in my lifetime, I don’t
want to ever have participation in, it’s a civil war. Some historian, I don’t
remember who, said, guns are only involved in the last phase of a civil war.”

Reality check: Only members of certain committees are permitted to hear
depositions, but those committee are made up of both Republicans and Democrats.

•Gohmert is not a member of a committee with access to the depositions.

*
m***@hotmail.com
2019-11-02 16:14:45 UTC
[...]
Iowa Rep. Steve King Says America Is Heading Toward Another Civil War
CBS Local - June 25, 2018
-- https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/nation-now/iowa-rep-steve-king-says-america-is-heading-toward-another-civil-war/465-9b25e15e-cc7b-4e74-b23c-e4800e2a091e