Donald Trump seems to know very little about the coronavirus
2020-02-25 19:17:55 UTC
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus/index.html

(CNN) — President Donald Trump has lots and lots of thoughts about the novel
coronavirus that has crippled China and has been spreading worldwide.
Unfortunately, most of those thoughts are either wrong or factually
questionable.

At a press conference during his visit to India on Tuesday, Trump made a number
of claims about the virus, which has sickened 80,000 and killed 2,700, that were
at best hugely optimistic and at worst deeply misleading.

"I think that's a problem that's going to go away," Trump said of the virus,
which has expanded this week in Italy, Austria, Croatia and Iran. In Iran, a day
after the health minster appeared publicly to make clear that all was well, it
was announced he had coronavirus.

In that news conference, the President insisted that "they have studied it. They
know very much. In fact, we're very close to a vaccine." There's no available
evidence that a vaccine is "close," in fact, most infectious disease experts say
developing a vaccine for the virus is roughly a year away. Sen. Lamar Alexander
(R-Tennessee), who chairs the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions
Committee, told CNN's Manu Raju Tuesday morning that "the vaccine for the
coronavirus is moving more rapidly than any vaccine we have already tried to
approve -- but it will take a year or 18 months. The way to stop (an outbreak)
is quarantine and monitoring."

Trump also claimed in the news conference that all the US coronavirus patients
"are getting better ... they're all getting better." That followed a tweet very
early Tuesday morning in India that read: "The Coronavirus is very much under
control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries.
CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting
to look very good to me!"

The latest tally shows 35 confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States as
well as several other Americans with the virus in Japan. Dr. Nancy Messonnier,
director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases,
told reporters on Friday that the Americans hospitalized in Japan are "seriously
ill." There have been very few updates on the condition of the other patients,
although it is possible that Trump, as President, is privy to information about
their conditions that the general public is not.

The series of misstatements from Trump on Tuesday about coronavirus are not new.
Trump has repeatedly offered rosy predictions about the disease's arc -- most
notably pushing the idea that warming temperatures (as winter turns to spring
across North America) will reduce its impact much like seasonal flu.

Again, the vast majority of infectious disease experts say it is too early in
the life cycle of the illness to make assumptions like that.

"It would be reckless to assume that things will quiet down in spring and
summer," Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at
the Baylor College of Medicine in Texas told CNN earlier this month. "We don't
really understand the basis of seasonality, and of course we know ... absolutely
nothing about this particular virus."

Because Trump is a knows prevaricator and exaggerator, there is a tendency to
view all of his mistruths through the there-he-goes-again lens. And to greet
them with an eye roll. But there are mistruths and there MISTRUTHS. And when you
are misleading people -- whether intentionally or not -- about a public health
emergency, it's very much in that latter category.

In moments like these, when uncertainty, fear and anxiety are rampant in the
country and the world, we look to our leaders to provide facts. Not speculation.
Not hopes. Facts.

Given that, Trump's longtime inability to adhere to truth and provide facts
untainted by his own personal biases is always damaging to the country. But
never more so than in moments like these.

*
a***@yahoo.com
2020-02-25 22:20:58 UTC
Nobody knows about that , But in Brazil we have anyone with ,, God help us said naturalhandcraftedsoap.com
super70s
2020-02-26 03:44:28 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Nobody knows about that , But in Brazil we have anyone with ,, God help us
said naturalhandcraftedsoap.com
A head fake that would make Progressive insurance proud!