Ving Rhames Recalls Being Held at Gunpoint by Police at His Home After A Neighbor Called in a Break-In by a 'Large Black Man'
2018-07-28 16:40:49 UTC
https://www.theroot.com/ving-rhames-recalls-being-held-at-gunpoint-by-police-at-1827944856

Money doesn’t protect you from racism and actor Ving Rhames made that clear
during his interview with SiriusXM’s The Clay Cane Show Friday. When asked about
how racism impacts his life, Rhames discussed an incident in which his neighbor
called the cops on him because she thought he was a robber.

“This happened this year. I am in my home, it was around 2:15 p.m. in the
afternoon,” Rhames said. “I have a screen door at my Santa Monica place and and
then I have a wooden door. I’m in my house. I’m in a pair of basketball shorts
only. I have two English bulldog puppies. I hear a noise in my backyard, but I’m
thinking the puppies are just running around, and then I get a knock on the
front door.”

When Rhames answered the door, he says he was staring down the barrel of a 9mm
handgun.

“I open the door and there is a red dot pointed at my face from a 9MM. They say
put up your hands, literally. I just walked and opened up the door....Then they
said ‘Open the front screen door.’ They say do it with one hand so then I have
to do it with one hand. My hands are up and they have me outside,” Rhames says.

One of the officers, described as the captain, recognized him and told the other
cops to stand down. Rhames said his son plays against the captain’s kids’
school. The officers apologized, but when Rhames asked why they were at his
place in the first place, he was told that a woman called to say that a “large
black man was breaking into the house. When Rhames and other officers went to
the woman’s home - she lives across the street - to ask why she called, she
denied ever making the call.

“So here I am in my own home, alone in some basketball shorts, just because
someone calls and says a large black man is breaking in, a 9MM is pointed at me.
My problem is what if it was my son and he had a video game remote or something
and you thought it was a gun?”

As we’ve seen more and more instances of the police being called on black people
for doing nothing more than the activities of daily living, some sort of legal
and financial consequence needs to be implemented for wasting taxpayer dollars.
Or something. It’s gotten entirely out of hand.

*
M.L.
2018-08-02 14:02:42 UTC
https://www.theroot.com/ving-rhames-recalls-being-held-at-gunpoint-by-police-at-1827944856
“So here I am in my own home, alone in some basketball shorts, just because
someone calls and says a large black man is breaking in, a 9MM is pointed at me.
My problem is what if it was my son and he had a video game remote or something
and you thought it was a gun?”
Seriously, rich blacks need to live in a home with lots of private
distance from the front door. Sounds like Rhames' front door is right
off the street, which is likely the case of a home in expensive Santa
Monica.