It's a conspiracy I tells ya! Trump claims 'Obama knew everything'
2019-12-16 03:04:20 UTC
Trump accuses Horowitz of overlooking bias within FBI, claims 'Obama knew
everything'

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/474651-trump-returns-to-claim-debunked-in-horowitz-report-that-obama-knew

President Trump on Sunday accused Justice Department Inspector General (IG)
Michael Horowitz of overlooking bias within the FBI and returned to his claim
that "Obama knew everything" about the bureau's investigation of Trump campaign
associates.

Trump leveled the accusation after the IG released a report last week saying the
FBI did not act out of political motivation when investigating Trump’s 2016
campaign’s ties to Russia. Trump honed in on the fact that Horowitz was
appointed by President Obama in his tweet.

“As bad as the I.G. Report is for the FBI and others, and it is really bad,
remember that I.G. Horowitz was appointed by Obama,” he posted. “There was
tremendous bias and guilt exposed, so obvious, but Horowitz couldn’t get himself
to say it. Big credibility loss. Obama knew everything!”

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 15, 2019

While the Horowitz report concluded the bureau did not launch the investigation
for political reasons, it did cite a number of mistakes made by the FBI during
the probe.

The release of the report has sparked partisan reactions with Republicans saying
the report proves the FBI acted inappropriately, while Democrats say it shows
the bureau did not commit wrongdoing.

Another report from the Justice Department overseen by Trump ally Attorney
General Bill Barr is also looking into the FBI’s work during the Russia
investigation.

*
Ken
2019-12-16 12:46:30 UTC
[...]
Here is a 7 minute video that clarifies why Barr disagrees with the IG
report. Worth viewing.

https://www.facebook.com/FoxBusiness/videos/attorney-general-william-barr-on-wsj-at-large/838988379891061/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos
Miloch
2019-12-16 20:52:12 UTC
Post by Ken
Post by Miloch
Trump accuses Horowitz of overlooking bias within FBI, claims 'Obama knew
everything'
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/474651-trump-returns-to-claim->>
Here is a 7 minute video that clarifies why Barr disagrees with the IG
report. Worth viewing.
https://www.facebook.com/FoxBusiness/videos/attorney-general-william-barr-on-wsj-at-large/838988379891061/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos
Former FBI, CIA director slams AG Barr over reaction to DOJ watchdog report

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/former-fbi-cia-director-slams-ag-barr-over-reaction-to-doj-watchdog-report/ar-BBY3l8Z?li=BBnb7Kz

Former FBI and CIA Director William Webster issued a surprising rebuke of
President Donald Trump and Attorney General William Barr Monday over their
reactions to the Department of Justice inspector general's report examining the
origins of the Russia investigation.

Webster, who notes he is a "longtime friend" of Barr's, argued in a New York
Times op-ed that both Trump and Barr's public statements attacking the FBI's
actions in the investigation is "dangerous" for the bureau.

"Calling F.B.I. professionals “scum,” as the president did, is a slur against
people who risk their lives to keep us safe," Webster wrote. "Mr. Barr’s charges
of bias within the F.B.I., made without providing any evidence and in direct
dispute of the findings of the nonpartisan inspector general, risk inflicting
enduring damage on this critically important institution."

Webster was appointed FBI Director by former President Jimmy Carter and remained
in the position through former President Ronald Reagan's tenure until Reagan
appointed him as CIA Director.

"The privilege of being the only American in our history to serve as the
director of both the F.B.I. and the C.I.A. gives me a unique perspective and a
responsibility to speak out about a dire threat to the rule of law in the
country I love," Webster said. "Order protects liberty, and liberty protects
order. Today, the integrity of the institutions that protect our civil order
are, tragically, under assault from too many people whose job it should be to
protect them."

A spokesperson for the Justice Department declined comment when asked by ABC
News about the editorial.

Webster in particular used the piece to mount a defense of FBI Director
Christopher Wray, who in an interview with ABC following the IG report's release
noted that despite major errors uncovered regarding the conduct of some FBI
officials involved in the probe, "the investigation was opened with appropriate
predication and authorization."

(MORE: FBI Director Chris Wray reacts to DOJ watchdog report on Russia
investigation: Exclusive)

President Trump directly rebuked Wray's assessment in a tweet, saying, "with
that kind of attitude, [Wray] will never be able to fix the FBI, which is badly
broken despite having some of the greatest men & women working there!

Despite the president's misgivings about the FBI, however, internal numbers
obtained by ABC News tell a different story about morale at the bureau.

According to the most recent FBI "climate" survey, morale internally was up for
the first time in two years.

The survey, obtained by Lawfare through a FOIA lawsuit, asked FBI employees
among other things, if they are proud to work for or are cynical of the bureau
-- and if they have a high level of respect for FBI's senior executives. All of
the questions were answered positively and showed an uptick in the bureau's
morale from years past when it was on the decline.

The FBI has also seen an increase in applicants in the past year, according to
an FBI spokesperson.

"I have complete confidence in Mr. Wray, and I know that the F.B.I. is not a
broken institution," Webster wrote in response to the president. "It is a
professional agency worthy of respect and support. The derision and aspersions
are dangerous and unwarranted."

Webster's article is only the latest development in the political fallout from
Inspector General Michael Horowitz's more than 400-page report examining the
Russia investigation released just one week ago.

While Horowitz determined the investigation was opened based with proper
predication and found no evidence of political bias, he was also highly critical
of how agents handled the court-authorized surveillance of former Trump campaign
adviser Carter Page.

"We identified significant inaccuracies and omissions in each of the four [FISA]
applications," Horowitz said in testimony last Wednesday before the Senate
Judiciary Committee. "Seven in the first application and a total of 17 by the
final renewal application."

Horowitz added he could not rule out political bias was behind the mishandling
of the surveillance process, he said he was not able to uncover evidence that
spoke to the agents' motivations.

Barr in an interview said he believed Horowitz's non-determination "leaves open
the possibility to infer bad faith" on the part of the FBI agents, which he said
is what a separate ongoing investigation by U.S. attorney John Durham is looking
to further explore.

Both Barr and Durham said they did not agree with one of Horowitz's key
determinations that the Russia probe was launched with proper cause, a move that
Webster took direct issue with.