Male rape emerging as one of the most under-reported weapons of war
Obama Enabled Homosexuals
2019-07-11 04:18:21 UTC
It is one of the darkest, most secretive weapons used in war.
But slowly, the widespread nature of the sexual abuse of boys
and men is being cast under anguished limelight as survivors and
activists seek more awareness and perpetrator accountability.

“I didn’t see him because they blindfolded us before the
interrogation, but I heard the officers calling for Abo Somar to
torture me,” Marwan al Qarout, 38, told Fox News of his abuser.
“He hit me on my genitals and threatened me with cutting it off
so I could not ‘re-produce terrorists.’ After an hour of hitting
me, another [torturer] came. He stuck a rifle up my bottom.”

Qarout, a pseudonym, is an activist who says he was peacefully
demonstrating against the Syrian dictatorship led by Bashar al-
Assad, when he was subsequently arrested by an Air Force
intelligence branch on April 23, 2014 in his hometown of Homs
City. He spent five months behind bars – months marked by fear
and the kind of abuse he lives over and over in his mind.

“I haven’t survived it,” he lamented, acknowledging that while
he wants the perpetrators to be held accountable and punished by
the international community, he has not sought any professional
help and only a few close family members know about what he
endured.

“People who know sympathize with me,” Qarout continued. “But all
of us, all detainees have suffered from this problem in one way
or another.”

And for fellow Syrian activist Khalid Terkawi, the screams of
his fellow male detainees still echo in the walls of his mind.

“First, there was a woman who had iron sticks inside her
genitals. Then the men had wooden sticks shoved in their ass
whenever the interrogator wanted to torture,” Terkawi, 34, who
is now based in Istanbul but spent two different stints in
detention for protesting the government, recalled. “But the
victim cannot speak about this in our society.”

Throughout the eight-year civil war that has rubbled Syria and
left more than half a million dead, sexual violence against
women in detention has emerged as one of the horrific methods of
torture at the hands of government forces. However, only now is
it coming to light just how extensively male sexual violence has
– and continues to be – deployed against male detainees.

A report released this month by Syrian rights organization
Lawyers and Doctors for Human Rights documented 138 accounts of
male detainee abuse, of which more than 40 percent detailed
occurrences of sexual abuse ranging from forced nudity and
sterilization to the mutilation of genitals and rape, sometimes
resulting in false confessions.

But the issue is hardly confined to the Syrian conflict.

“The scale of sexual violence against young males and men in
conflict and near-conflict spaces represents a global epidemic
that knows no borders,” said Ian Bradbury, CEO of 1st NAEF, a
non-profit focused on humanitarian aid and assisting victims of
all gender-based violence. “It has been observed prominently in
Afghanistan, Iraq, Philippines, Indonesia, Syria, Nigeria,
Libya, Sudan and other conflict zones. And it is not limited to
these areas alone.”

Indeed, the Qaddafi regime was accused of male rape as a tool of
war during the 2011 revolution in Libya, with the systematic
tactic used by several different factions in the severed nation
in the ensuing years. Videos and testimony collected in recent
years by a Tunis-based advocacy group painted a painful picture
of victims having been forced to rape other male detainees
behind bars, as well as men being sodomized by objects such as
rockets and broom handles.

Retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Rudolph Atallah, now chief
executive officer of White Mountain Research, and former Africa
Counterterrorism in the Office of the Secretary of Defense, also
recalled hushed accounts of male sexual abuse throughout the
conflicts in Bosnia and eastern Congo – pointing out that it
also happens in conflict-riddled parts of Africa under the
auspice of witch doctor creed that sometimes claims raping young
boys can bring about cures for major diseases such as HIV.

“It breaks the victims down so much, it is often impossible for
them to talk openly,” he said. “There is so much stigma, so much
taboo. For the perpetrator, it’s about dominance and control
that destroy a victim internally, make them feel no longer male.”

Moreover, a report released by Amnesty International earlier
this month, following a detailed investigation, illuminated that
boys as young as 8 have been raped in the Yemeni city of Ta’iz.
Many of the suspected perpetrators, according to Amnesty, belong
to militias aligned with the Saudi Arabia and UAE-led Coalition.

Two medical reports viewed by Amnesty indicated signs of anus
lesions on two of the survivors, which was consistent with their
testimony.

In one case, a 16-year-old boy recalled being raped in December
2018 by an Islahi-affiliated militiaman in Ta’iz, describing how
he was beaten with a rifle and pushed to the ground. He was
unable to sit or go to the bathroom for days, his complexion
drained and yellow, his psychological state marked by sheer
fright. His mother reported the incident to the Ta’iz Criminal
Investigations Department who issued an order for a forensic
medical exam. Yet according to the investigation, the doctor too
was under militia control and refused, the hospital wanted money
that the mother was not able to produce, and the report was
never finished.

“Considering all of the problems the international community is
trying to tackle in Yemen, I don’t think anything is really
being done,” noted Philippe Nassif, Amnesty’s advocacy director
for the Middle East and North Africa, with regards to the issue
of sexual abuse amid a war that has left more than 11 million
people starving and more than 100,000 dead. “This is an issue
that has always existed in Yemen, but it has only gotten worse
because of the conflict. We know it is taboo, but it is being
weaponized. That demands the international community face it.”

Earlier this month amid the backdrop of citizen outrage, Yemen’s
government was prompted to establish a committee to investigate
the cold-blooded killing of Raafat Danbaa in the port city of
Aden, who was slain seemingly in retaliation for testifying
against militiamen accused of raping a 7-year-old boy amid the
protracted conflict.

Accusations of sexual abuse also plague the Iran-backed Houthi
rebels on the other side of the conflict, who continue to
control pockets of northern Yemen and the capital city Sana’a.
Psychologists treating former child soldiers forced to fight for
the Houthis told Fox News last year that at least 50 to 60
percent of the boys ages 12 to 15 had experienced some form of
sexual abuse at the behest of their superiors.

And while females undoubtedly constitute the overwhelming
majority of sexual violence in conflict overall, researchers
believe that in some conflict-riddled countries, men make up
more than a quarter of the survivors. The UN notes that sexual
violence against males in armed conflict is common, but no
accurate statistics are available. The sense of disgrace that
pervades the notion of male sexual abuse means that not only is
it rarely even acknowledged, but little help is sought out or
even offered for the psychological wounds.

“Male victims suffer in silence. We have a care gap – young male
victims of sexual violence in conflict are not being recognized
as victims, let alone being treated as such,” Bradbury said.
“The risks associated with not addressing this care gap is
likely to be an increased probability of failed peace processes,
due to the increased likelihood that these victims could go on
to repeat cycles of violence if they remain untreated.”

And in some countries where homosexuality is outlawed, survivors
are even at risk of being arrested by law enforcement – under
the presumption of being gay – should their trauma ever be
brought to light. Historically, medical and legal personnel have
lacked the training and preparation needed to address or
identify male victims, contributing to the silent nature of the
crime – a critical gap that individuals such as Karen Naimer,
Deputy Director of Programs and Director of the Program on
Sexual Violence in Conflict Zones for Physicians for Human
Rights, is trying to mend.

“We work with local clinics, doctors, nurses, police officers,
lawyers and judges to help them understand that these are very
legitimate experiences and to help improve not only access to
care and treatment; but to allow the survivor to come forward
with a dignified experience,” Naimer said.

A prominent portion of PHR’s work in recent times has been
centered in the northern swaths of Iraq, in which thousands from
the Yazidi community are recovering from being brutally targeted
as sex slaves under ISIS occupation. While the vast number of
survivors are female, Naimer said that, anecdotally speaking,
there are also male survivors of sexual abuse from under the
ISIS reign.

“We are seeing strides. We are seeing a shift in attitudes and
behaviors,” she added, referring to the openness and willingness
of war-torn communities to treat male sexual assault victims
during recent years. “But it is going to take a lot more time,
and a lot of commitment and investment to really see the change
that is needed.”

https://www.foxnews.com/world/male-rape-emerging-as-one-of-the-
most-underreported-weapons-of-todays-wars
d***@e-carrollschools.org
d***@e-carrollschools.org