William Shatner is 90 today, and still working his ass off
2021-03-23 00:22:42 UTC
https://nypost.com/2021/03/22/william-shatner-is-90-today-and-still-working-his-ass-off/?_ga=2.109078210.614834589.1615942034-1115777547.1574097628

William Shatner was about to take the stage of London’s Eventim Apollo Theatre
on March 16, 2020, when the British prime minister made a frightening
announcement.

“That afternoon, Boris Johnson said everything’s locked down — no more than 500
people,” Shatner told The Post of his first encounter with the coronavirus
pandemic. “It was a sold-out audience: 3,500 people waiting for me.”

But the “Star Trek” actor, who turned 90 on Monday, has never been the sort to
twiddle his thumbs and stand idly by. Captain Kirk got to work.

“I wrote a song, ‘Monday in London,’ about wondering when the audience will be
there, whether there would be any audience,” the occasional musician said. “I
stepped out in front of the curtain, and 3,500 people had stayed.”

Still, that uncertain day marked a radical change for the artist, who’s moved at
warp speed since he first donned the yellow captain’s uniform on “Star Trek” in
1966. The rest of his tour through the UK, like all other live performances, was
canceled, and he’s been back at home in Southern California since then with his
two dogs, one of whom loudly made himself known during a Zoom interview.

“That’s my male dog doing his Doberman best to protect us from other dogs,” he
said. “Other dogs … you never know what another dog’s going to do!”

The animal lover added: “The female dog, we just had spayed. We’re waiting for
her to poop.”

Just like that unexpectedly productive afternoon in London, Shatner, who was
recently vaccinated, has been dabbling in a vast array of projects from the
comfort of his house.

Right now, he’s promoting his new comedy film called “Senior Moment,” out
Friday, in which he plays Victor, a Palm Springs, California, hotshot who
defiantly refuses to show his age. (Smart casting.) In the film, the “Star Trek”
actor romances Jean Smart, who is 21 years his junior.

“She’s beautiful!,” he said. “Here’s this beautiful woman who’s talented and a
great joy! We just had the best time together. I love her.”

Shatner has also been creating a new album. While he’s best known for “Star
Trek” and such roles as the title character on “T.J. Hooker” and as Denny Crane
on “Boston Legal” (for which he won a Golden Globe and an Emmy), the actor is
also a prolific recording artist who’s finally gaining some acclaim for his
strange blend of spoken word and song.

He worked with Ben Folds on his deeply personal 2004 album “Has Been” (Pitchfork
called it “confusing, enthralling, sincere, profound”), and in October he
dropped “William Shatner — The Blues,” which remarkably reached No. 1 on the
Billboard blues chart.

He told The Post he’ll soon release a new album, his 13th, which is a
collaboration with a New York poet.

“It’s been picked up by what, from my understanding, is the biggest label in the
world — Universal,” he said before mentioning some of his new Universal Music
Group colleagues: “The Jonas Brothers!”

2021-03-23 16:20:21 UTC
http://youtu.be/5-WZ8uzNkE4
[...]
I wonder if he still suffers from a chronic tinnitus problem that
happened during a Star Trek shoot, now he's doing commercials for some
other malady.
Miloch
2021-03-23 16:38:05 UTC
In article <super70s-***@reader02.eternal-september.org>,
super70s says...
[...]
Expect to see 'im as "Captain Kirk" flogging hemorrhoidal cream (with aloe) to
relieve the discomfort from sitting in the 'Captain's Chair' on the Enterprise
for all those years.

suzeeq
2021-03-23 17:44:34 UTC
super70s says...
https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/system/news_items/main_images/1385_Bridgestillnormal.jpg
It was only 3 years. And several movies.
Miloch
2021-03-23 18:02:54 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Miloch
super70s says...
[...]
For someone who's guilty of unnecessary Shakespearian over-acting using modest
talent, it was three years and several movies too many...

...ya...not a Shatner fan!

*
Arthur Lipscomb
2021-03-23 18:55:19 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Miloch
super70s says...
[...]
Well I am. In addition to being an awesome Starship captain, the guy is
also consistently funny when he does comedy. I'm looking forward to
seeing him in person in a few months at a convention.
Miloch
2021-03-23 19:11:24 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Miloch
Post by suzeeq
Post by Miloch
super70s says...
[...]
Excellent, Lipscomb...check in with us when you return and let the group(s) know
how it went...

*
Sleepy Joe the Falldown Artist
Do you ever have anything nice to say about anyone, other than Taylor Swift?
super70s
2021-03-23 23:18:58 UTC
Post by Sleepy Joe the Falldown Artist
Post by Miloch
For someone who's guilty of unnecessary Shakespearian over-acting using
modest talent, it was three years and several movies too many...
...ya...not a Shatner fan!
Do you ever have anything nice to say about anyone, other than Taylor Swift?
Thought you should make the switch from "Beijing Biden" for that one huh.

A troll by any other name would stink just as much, to paraphrase Bill.
Miloch
2021-03-23 23:52:54 UTC
Post by Miloch
For someone who's guilty of unnecessary Shakespearian over-acting using
modest talent, it was three years and several movies too many...
...ya...not a Shatner fan!
Do you ever have anything nice to say about anyone, other than Taylor Swift?
Thought you should make the switch from "Beijing Biden" for that one huh.
A troll by any other name would stink just as much, to paraphrase Bill.
...Hello Kiitty, MaxxX-Ine, MAGA2020, Biden Raising Taxes Killing Foreigners et
al tryin' out his new shiney nym...and a fresh addition to my kill-file.

*
Sleepy Joe Is A Falldown Artist
2021-03-24 01:08:18 UTC
super70s says...
Post by Miloch
For someone who's guilty of unnecessary Shakespearian over-acting using
modest talent, it was three years and several movies too many...
...ya...not a Shatner fan!
Do you ever have anything nice to say about anyone, other than Taylor Swift?
Thought you should make the switch from "Beijing Biden" for that one huh.
A troll by any other name would stink just as much, to paraphrase Bill.
...Hello Kiitty, MaxxX-Ine, MAGA2020, Biden Raising Taxes Killing Foreigners et
al tryin' out his new shiney nym...and a fresh addition to my kill-file.
Those aren't me, you dopey Biden voter who regrets you didn't study a little
more for the election. But if it makes you mad, oh, you caught me.
Miloch
2021-03-24 00:17:29 UTC
Post by Miloch
For someone who's guilty of unnecessary Shakespearian over-acting using
modest talent, it was three years and several movies too many...
...ya...not a Shatner fan!
Do you ever have anything nice to say about anyone, other than Taylor Swift?
Thought you should make the switch from "Beijing Biden" for that one huh.
A troll by any other name would stink just as much, to paraphrase Bill.
The reference is most likely lost on 'im!...he'll search for any "Bill Clinton"
connection he can. He's been the group's 'flickering dim bulb' since the
beginning!

*
Sleepy Joe Is A Falldown Artist
2021-03-24 01:13:52 UTC
Post by Miloch
For someone who's guilty of unnecessary Shakespearian over-acting using
modest talent, it was three years and several movies too many...
...ya...not a Shatner fan!
Do you ever have anything nice to say about anyone, other than Taylor Swift?
Thought you should make the switch from "Beijing Biden" for that one huh.
A troll by any other name would stink just as much, to paraphrase Bill.
I like to switch it up. It seems to cause a crisis for Milo every time I do it.
What a nice side effect.