Surprise, Trump's Tulsa Rally Probably Caused a Spike in New Coronavirus Cases in the County
2020-07-10 03:03:17 UTC
https://theslot.jezebel.com/surprise-trumps-tulsa-rally-probably-caused-a-spike-in-1844317177

Despite drawing thousands fewer attendees than Donald Trump’s implacable ego
would have liked, the president’s rally in Tulsa last month likely played a role
in a huge surge in the county’s coronavirus cases. Who could possibly have
predicted this? Ah yes, that’s right: Literally everyone.

Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said Wednesday that
the rally and large protests “likely contributed” to the spike in new confirmed
cases, which reached 261 on Monday, compared to the 76 cases reported the week
before the June 20 rally.

“In the past few days, we’ve seen almost 500 new cases, and we had several large
events just over two weeks ago, so I guess we just connect the dots,” Dart said
during a news conference. The county has more infections than any other in
Oklahoma, and “we’ve had some significant events in the past few weeks that more
than likely contributed to that,” he added.

While the event drew just a paltry 6,200 people, most attendees did not wear
masks, despite them being provided. Dart had previously urged the campaign to
push back the rally, fearing precisely the rise in cases that it seems to have
set off.

Leanne Stephens, a spokeswoman for the health department, would not disclose
whether contact tracing had confirmed a link between the rally and the high
number of cases, telling the New York Times that it “will not publicly identify
any individual or facility at risk of exposure, or where transmission occurred”

The arena, which holds 19,000, is large enough that attendees could have spread
out. This would have had the dual benefits of making the stands look fuller and
giving people the space to social distance. Instead, they packed in like
chickens in a factory farm. It’s almost as if Trump...wants his biggest
supporters to die? Or probably more accurately, he just doesn’t care what
happens to them once the cheering stops and they’ve gone home for the night.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/connect-the-dots-tulsa-county-covid-19-cases-soaring-weeks-after-trump-rally-large-scale/article_7c6dfef3-230a-5314-94bc-bab491189960.html

*
b***@gmail.com
2020-07-11 22:07:26 UTC
[...]
They warned Trump:
"Tulsa Officials Plead for Trump to Cancel Rally as Virus Spikes in Oklahoma"
New York Times - June 16, 2020
-- https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-rally.html