New Book Says Lisa Bloom Offered to Damage Rose McGowan's Reputation to Help Harvey Weinstein
2019-09-09 15:59:11 UTC
https://jezebel.com/new-book-says-lisa-bloom-offered-to-damage-rose-mcgowan-1837972261

A new book exploring the allegations against Harvey Weinstein says attorney Lisa
Bloom offered to help portray actor Rose McGowan, one of Weinstein’s accusers,
as “increasingly unglued” in an effort to discredit her. Bloom also apparently
attempted to smear other Weinstein accusers, including Ashley Judd.

The New York Times published a long look at She Said by Jodi Kantor and Megan
Twohey, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists who published the first New York
Times exposé on Weinstein in October 2017. It sounds like there’s a lot in
here—Kantor and Twohey report, for instance, that Weinstein’s brother, Bob
Weinstein, attempted to convince Weinstein to get medical treatment to fix what
he categorized as “misbehavior” that had “brought shame to the family and
[Weinstein’s] company,”and that the first Weinstein whistleblower was Weinstein
Company executive Irwin Reiter.

She Said also reveals the identities of another Weinstein accuser, Rowena Chiu,
who was an assistant at Miramax in the 1990s and allegedly sexually assaulted by
Weinstein in a hotel room in 1998.

Then, there’s this detail (emphasis mine):

Allred’s daughter, the lawyer Lisa Bloom, a prominent victims’ rights attorney,
was working behind the scenes with Mr. Weinstein — at a rate of $895 an hour —
to quash the journalists’ investigation and thwart his accusers. In a
confidential memo to Mr. Weinstein that Ms. Bloom wrote in December 2016, which
is reproduced in “She Said,” she offered to help him damage the reputation of
one of his accusers, Rose McGowan, and portrayed her background as a victims’s
rights advocate as an asset.

“I feel equipped to help you against the Roses of the world, because I have
represented so many of them,” Ms. Bloom wrote, before laying out a multistep
playbook for how to intimidate accusers or paint them as liars. One of Ms.
Bloom’s suggested tactics for undermining Ms. McGowan: “We can place an article
re her becoming increasingly unglued, so that when someone Googles her this is
what pops up and she’s discredited.”

Bloom resigned as Weinstein’s attorney shortly after Kantor and Twohey’s first
bombshell piece came out, claiming she was “over the hate” and touting her
record as an attorney for victims of sexual assault. And yet:

Ms. Bloom accompanied Mr. Weinstein on a surprise visit to the Times the day
before the initial article was published, to present the journalists with
information intended to portray several accusers — including Ashley Judd, the
first actress to go on the record — as unreliable and mentally unstable.

Bloom later apologized for working with Weinstein, claiming she “deeply
regretted” representing him. On Sunday, shortly after the Times published their
story on She Said, Bloom released a statement reiterating her apology and and
outlining some of the work her firm has done in the years since:

Lisa Bloom
✔ @LisaBloom

While painful, I learn so much more from my mistakes than my successes.

To those who missed my 2017 apology, and especially to the women: I am sorry.

Here are the changes I've made to ensure that I will not make that mistake
again.

2019-09-09 23:38:22 UTC
https://jezebel.com/new-book-says-lisa-bloom-offered-to-damage-rose-
mcgowan-1837972261
A new book exploring the allegations against Harvey Weinstein says attorney
Lisa Bloom offered to help portray actor Rose McGowan, one of Weinstein's
accusers, as "increasingly unglued" in an effort to discredit her. Bloom also
apparently attempted to smear other Weinstein accusers, including Ashley
Judd.
Any time there's a new sexual harassment case of national significance
Lisa Bloom or her old lady Cruella Allred appear out of the ether
standing next to the victim. Those two are only in it for the money.
Miloch
2019-09-10 00:15:17 UTC
In article <super70s-***@reader01.eternal-september.org>,
super70s says...
https://jezebel.com/new-book-says-lisa-bloom-offered-to-damage-rose-
mcgowan-1837972261
A new book exploring the allegations against Harvey Weinstein says attorney
Lisa Bloom offered to help portray actor Rose McGowan, one of Weinstein's
accusers, as "increasingly unglued" in an effort to discredit her. Bloom also
apparently attempted to smear other Weinstein accusers, including Ashley
Judd.
Any time there's a new sexual harassment case of national significance
Lisa Bloom or her old lady Cruella Allred appear out of the ether
standing next to the victim. Those two are only in it for the money.
Rose McGowan Wants Lisa Bloom Disbarred For What She Pulled While Representing
Harvey Weinstein

https://dlisted.com/2019/09/09/rose-mcgowan-wants-lisa-bloom-disbarred-for-what-she-pulled-while-representing-harvey-weinstein/

According to Variety

“She Said,” Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey’s account of reporting their New York
Times investigation of Harvey Weinstein that helped reignite the #MeToo
movement, will be published on Tuesday — but a story about the book in the New
York Times Sunday has already set off a firestorm on the internet.

In an interview with Variety, Rose McGowan said that the revelations about her
from the news story were “deeply wounding.”

Rose McGowan ain’t wrong. The book includes fucked-up memos from Lisa including
one where she offered to launch a smear campaign against Rose.

Weinstein knew McGowan was writing a memoir, and was positive she was going to
expose him, which is why Bloom focused on undermining the actor.

Alter’s story quotes from Bloom’s memo: “I feel equipped to help you against the
Roses of the world, because I have represented so many of them.” Bloom also
adds: “We can place an article re her becoming increasingly unglued, so that
when someone Googles her this is what pops up and she’s discredited.”

Lisa burped up a dumb apology about this in 2017:

Bloom did not respond to Variety’s request for comment, but did tweet in
response to this New York Times story, and apologized: “To those who missed my
2017 apology, and especially to the women: I am sorry.”

What a weak ass apology. She’s basically saying, she already did this in 2017
and doesn’t care enough to do it twice. Ok, Lisa, thanks for reminding us of
your apology two years ago.

Rose also came for Lisa Bloom two years ago, alleging that Lisa tried to offer
her money to consider Harvey’s feelings when her writing book. Lisa responded by
saying, “I never called Rose McGowan’s literary agent… I don’t even know who her
agent is. I never threatened Rose McGowan, nor offered her money, nor reached
out to her. This is completely false. I have withdrawn from my representation of
Harvey Weinstein and apologized for being involved in this. I am sorry for the
pain Rose McGowan is in. But this is completely false.”

Huh. Considering that damning memo, things are looking a little shady for Lisa
Bloom and I know we’re all shocked the daughter of Gloria Allred could do such a
thing.

That said, my understanding of the law comes from watching Law & Order reruns
and Judge Judy, so I have no idea if Lisa Bloom (and David Boies who was also
mentioned) can be disbarred for this. Lisa Bloom should at least be stripped of
her name. Lisa Bloom sounds too much like Lisa Frank and my tiny brain can’t
handle some Harvey Weinstein-defending ambulance chaser getting confused with my
favorite artist.