Pioneering female NFL sportscaster and Miss America-winner Phyllis George dies at 70...
2020-05-17 02:35:21 UTC
...after long fight with blood disorder

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8327295/Phyllis-George-female-sportscasting-pioneer-dies-70.html

Phyllis George, the former Miss America who became a female sportscasting
pioneer on CBS's The NFL Today, has died at age 70. A family spokeswoman said
George died Thursday at a Lexington, Kentucky, hospital after a long fight with
a blood disorder she'd had since she was in her 30s.

Her children, Lincoln Tyler George Brown and CNN White House correspondent
Pamela Ashley Brown, released a joint statement about George's death. 'For many,
Mom was known by her incredible accomplishments as the pioneering female
sportscaster, 50th Miss America and first lady. But this was all before we were
born and never how we viewed Mom,' George's children said in the statement. 'To
us, she was the most incredible mother we could ever ask for, and it is all of
the defining qualities the public never saw, especially against the winds of
adversity, that symbolize how extraordinary she is more than anything else.The
beauty so many recognized on the outside was a mere fraction of her internal
beauty, only to be outdone by an unwavering spirit that allowed her to persevere
against all the odds.'

George is pictured in 2009 (left), after being named Miss America in 1971
(right) and while being a sportscaster on CBS The NFL Today in 1976.

2020-05-17 23:02:56 UTC
[...]
I was not aware CNN's Pamela Brown was the daughter of Phyllis George,
that explains why she's so good looking (even if she has more of her
father's facial features).