Why shut down his coronavirus task force? Trump wants someone to blame if things get worse
2020-05-06 05:53:23 UTC
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-05-05/politics-trump-coronavirus-task-force-pence

By Scott Martelle | Editorial Writer

May 5, 2020|3:34 PM

Vice President Mike Pence confirmed to reporters on Tuesday afternoon that the
White House might look to close down the special coronavirus task force he’s
been leading, possibly in early June.

Why, you might ask?

Well, there are a couple of explanations.

“It really is all a reflection of the tremendous progress we’ve made as a
country,” Pence said. “The president stood up the White House coronavirus task
force … to marshal a national response.”

“And as I’ve said before,” Pence continued, “as we continue to practice social
distancing and states engage in safe and responsible reopening plans, I truly
believe — and the trend lines support it — that we could be in a very different
place” by late May or early June.

Fantastic. Except for those other reports that government predictions suggest
3,000 deaths per day by June, a 70% increase over the current daily tally, and a
separate analysis suggesting the number of COVID-19 deaths nationwide could
double to 135,000 by August. That comes as states — including California — begin
loosening restrictions.

Then there’s the political explanation.

By closing down the task force, the White House would shift the visible
responsibility for the fight against the coronavirus from the president to
federal agencies, including the Centers for Disease Control, the National
Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (led by Dr. Anthony Fauci) and the
Federal Emergency Management Agency, as well as to state governments and elected
officials.

Doing so would position Trump to head into the summer — and the early scale-up
of the fall election cycle — not as the near-daily host of the coronavirus task
force update briefings, but as the president who handed off the problem to
federal agencies.

He could then claim success if the pandemic does indeed die down, or run against
those very agencies if the pandemic worsens or stages a rebound in the fall, as
some experts suspect will happen.

He could then try to claim that he had the problem under control and the rest of
the government messed it up. Yes, Trump is trying to angle himself to turn the
coronavirus to his political advantage (nothing new there).

That would put Trump in his favorite role — as the aggrieved victim of the “deep
state,” the entrenched government establishment and the “hostile press,” which
in his view (or in his cynical lie to his base supporters) is in cahoots with
Democrats to stifle the revolution he has been leading, and which stands in the
way of his mission to “keep America great.”

That would give our dishonest president a platform from which to claim he needs
to be reelected — to finish the job hardworking (and sometimes xenophobic)
Americans sent him there to do. Namely, blow it all up ... er, drain the swamp.

But what, you ask, of the health and the security of the American people?

What, indeed.

*
Daniel
2020-05-06 05:58:25 UTC
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-05-05/politics-trump-coronavirus-task-force-pence
By Scott Martelle | Editorial Writer
May 5, 2020|3:34 PM
Vice President Mike Pence confirmed to reporters on Tuesday afternoon that the
White House might look to close down the special coronavirus task force he’s
been leading, possibly in early June.
You still read the phony garbage from the leftist press? I guess the
learning curve is pretty shallow on the left.
--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Miloch
2020-05-06 15:04:31 UTC
Post by Daniel
Post by Miloch
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-05-05/politics-trump-coronavirus-task-force-pence
By Scott Martelle | Editorial Writer
May 5, 2020|3:34 PM
Vice President Mike Pence confirmed to reporters on Tuesday afternoon that the
White House might look to close down the special coronavirus task force he’s
been leading, possibly in early June.
You still read the phony garbage from the leftist press? I guess the
learning curve is pretty shallow on the left.
"....shallow on the left" but completely flat on the right. See ya at the polls
in November, Danny Boy.

*
BeamMeUpScotty
2020-05-06 15:39:06 UTC
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-05-05/politics-trump-coronavirus-task-force-pence
By Scott Martelle | Editorial Writer
May 5, 2020|3:34 PM
Vice President Mike Pence confirmed to reporters on Tuesday afternoon that the
White House might look to close down the special coronavirus task force he™s
been leading, possibly in early June.
NO need for there to be a *FEDERAL TASK FORCE* since the Governors of
the States declared that they will determine when to open their own
State. That means that they have the problems in their State well in hand.

That means they need no more FEDERAL EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE, so they were
signaling that TRUMP can go back to doing his normal job. Which also
means that the States will no longer need any Federal money or supplies.

That's great.

The Democrats rejected any further Federal input. SO there need NOT be
any State BAIL-OUT money.... TRUMP is doing a great JOB isn't he?

Saving taxpayers Billions by letting the States have the power that they
say they have. But with great power comes great responsibility. Those
States better prepare to be responsible for their actions.

The Governors got what they wished for, I only hope they considered it
carefully before they made their wish.
--
That's Karma

*Mama'says*
12 - Life is like a "Waring Blender" you can toss a little bullshit in
with the ice cream, and as long as you aren't watching, it all tastes
like milkshake.
Hello Kiitty
2020-05-06 20:43:42 UTC
Post by Daniel
Post by Miloch
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-05-05/politics-trump-coronavirus-task-force-pence
By Scott Martelle | Editorial Writer
May 5, 2020|3:34 PM
Vice President Mike Pence confirmed to reporters on Tuesday afternoon that the
White House might look to close down the special coronavirus task force he’s
been leading, possibly in early June.
You still read the phony garbage from the leftist press? I guess the
learning curve is pretty shallow on the left.
Miloch is a lazy gossiper, and rather than look a little deeper for any truth,
he's completely happy to swallow and regurgitate the latest liberal sputum.
Gronk

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-faces-backlash-to-talks-of-winding-down-coronavirus-task-force
Siri Cruise
2020-05-11 07:46:03 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by Daniel
Post by Miloch
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-05-05/politics-trump-coronavirus
-task-force-pence
By Scott Martelle | Editorial Writer
May 5, 2020|3:34 PM
Vice President Mike Pence confirmed to reporters on Tuesday afternoon that the
White House might look to close down the special coronavirus task force
he’s
been leading, possibly in early June.
You still read the phony garbage from the leftist press? I guess the
learning curve is pretty shallow on the left.
Sigh. Trumptards
Pence must be running out of ways not to say anything.
2020-05-11 14:31:01 UTC
In article <chine.bleu-***@reader.eternal-september.org>, Siri
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Gronk
Post by Daniel
Post by Miloch
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-05-05/politics-trump-coronavirus
-task-force-pence
By Scott Martelle | Editorial Writer
May 5, 2020|3:34 PM
Vice President Mike Pence confirmed to reporters on Tuesday afternoon that the
White House might look to close down the special coronavirus task force
he’s
been leading, possibly in early June.
You still read the phony garbage from the leftist press? I guess the
learning curve is pretty shallow on the left.
Sigh. Trumptards
Pence must be running out of ways not to say anything.
I read a thumbnail bio of him that said his life-long ambition was to be
President...it's dawning on him that he hitched on to the wrong coattails and
he's trying not to screw up whatever political future he has...which is nil.