Gwyneth Paltrow Isn't Going to Let a $145,000 False Advertising Settlement Taint Goop's Brand
2018-10-10 01:51:10 UTC
https://gizmodo.com/gwyneth-paltrow-isnt-going-to-let-a-145-000-false-adve-1829640927

It’s been a little more than a month since it was announced that Goop, the
controversial lifestyle brand of actress Gwyneth Paltrow, settled a false
advertising lawsuit over scientifically unproven claims about its vaginal quartz
and jade eggs—you may remember the ones. However, in a new interview with BBC
addressing criticism of the brand, Paltrow challenged claims that Goop sold
products that veered into the realm of “pseudoscience.”

Speaking with BBC Breakfast’s Charlie Stayt, Paltrow said that she “disagree[d]
with that wholeheartedly” and went on to defend Goop-promoted “healing
modalities,” among which she listed essentials oils and acupuncture.

We really believe that there are healing modalities that have existed for
thousands of years, and they challenge maybe a very conventional western doctor
that might not believe necessarily in the healing powers of essential oils or
any variety of acupuncture—things that have been tried and tested for hundreds
of years. We find that they are very helpful to people and there’s an incredible
power in the human body to heal itself. And so I think any time you’re trying to
move the needle and you’re trying to empower women, you know, you find
resistance. We just think that’s part of what we do, and we’re proud to do it.

We really believe that there are healing modalities that have existed for
thousands of years, and they challenge maybe a very conventional western doctor
that might not believe necessarily in the healing powers of essential oils or
any variety of acupuncture—things that have been tried and tested for hundreds
of years. We find that they are very helpful to people and there’s an incredible
power in the human body to heal itself. And so I think any time you’re trying to
move the needle and you’re trying to empower women, you know, you find
resistance. We just think that’s part of what we do, and we’re proud to do it.

In September, Goop settled a lawsuit brought on by 10 counties in California
over three products that the company claimed could provide medical benefits. The
company said prior to the lawsuit that use of the jade and quartz eggs
“increases chi, orgasms, vaginal muscle tone, hormonal balance, and feminine
energy in general.” Of its Inner Judge Flower Essence Blend, according to the
Orange County district attorney’s office, Goop said it “could help prevent
depression.” Per the settlement, the company agreed to pay $145,000 and adhere
to a five-year injunction.

more at
https://gizmodo.com/gwyneth-paltrow-isnt-going-to-let-a-145-000-false-adve-1829640927

*