Trump Tried to Pull Some Sleazy Reality TV Sweeps Week Stunt With Grieving British Parents
2019-10-16 23:43:59 UTC
https://jezebel.com/trump-tried-to-pull-some-sleazy-reality-tv-sweeps-week-1839098226

In a move that would have been rejected from even the sleaziest, most
exploitative reality TV franchise of the mid 2000s, the Trump administration
attempted to engineer a surprise meeting for the cameras between the grieving
parents of a 19-year-old British man killed in a car crash and the diplomat’s
wife who was involved in the accident and immediately fled the country.

Literally what in the fuck is wrong with these people?

The New York Times reported on the extremely upsetting surprise that awaited
Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, who have come to the United States to demand the
return of Anne Sacoolas to the United Kingdom, when they got to the White House
to meet with Trump:

Anne Sacoolas, 42, the wife of an American diplomat and the driver involved in
the crash that killed their son, was in an adjacent room, waiting to meet them.
The police in England said she had fled the country while claiming immunity.
Britain and the United States have been involved in a diplomatic tug of war ever
since.

Mr. Trump, a former reality television star well versed in the language of
staging a spectacle for the cameras, had another surprise. Members of the White
House press corps were in another room.

Apparently they were waiting to record any meeting between the grieving parents
and the woman they had pleaded with in teary television interviews to return to
Britain to face the police and to meet them so they could get answers.

The couple said no. “We would still love to meet with her,” said Charles, “but
it has to be on our terms and on U.K. soil,” adding, “She needs to come back and
face the justice system.” The Northamptonshire police have said they suspect
Sacoolas was driving on the wrong side of the road at the time of the accident.

This stories continues to unfold even as a British family has been detained for
days, for accidentally crossing the border between the U.S. and Canada. It’s
almost as though, on top of everything else, the Trump administration is
determined to undermine the relationship with America’s closest ally, which is
weird, considering that the GOP would run the zombie corpse of Winston Churchill
as its presidential candidate if possible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/world/europe/donald-trump-harry-dunn-anne-sacoolas.html

2019-10-17 04:14:17 UTC
[...]
I wonder how often this kind of thing happens with tourists, in both
countries. Every time I watch a movie or TV show set in Britain I often
think if I went over there and tried to drive I'd kill myself or someone
else within two days after over 45 years of driving on the opposite side
of the road.

Of course you're going to (most likely) be in a rental with the steering
wheel on the opposite side to help you remember but you're bound to
still slip up sometimes.

Maybe diplomats get to import their own American made cars as a perk,
who knows.
Miloch
2019-10-17 04:31:57 UTC
In article <super70s-***@reader01.eternal-september.org>,
super70s says...
[...]
Matthew Broderick killed a couple of people in England by driving on the wrong
side...

https://people.com/archive/matthew-broderick-ends-a-holiday-in-a-tragic-crash-that-claims-two-lives-vol-28-no-8/

I hitch-hiked through Europe in the 70s and what I remember most was the fact
that Germany had no speed limits...got picked up by someone is a MiniCooper and
he drove at almost 100 MPH (not KPH) the entire time on the Autobahn...I kept
glancing at the speedometer hoping he'd slow down...but he didn't.

*
The Horny Goat
2019-10-18 02:51:31 UTC
I hitch-hiked through Europe in the 70s and what I remember most was the fact
that Germany had no speed limits...got picked up by someone is a MiniCooper and
he drove at almost 100 MPH (not KPH) the entire time on the Autobahn...I kept
glancing at the speedometer hoping he'd slow down...but he didn't.
So pardon my pruriest interest but how long does it take an Austin
Mini to get from 0 -> 100mph?

(This is not a set up for a joke)
Miloch
2019-10-18 03:13:45 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by Miloch
I hitch-hiked through Europe in the 70s and what I remember most was the fact
that Germany had no speed limits...got picked up by someone is a MiniCooper and
he drove at almost 100 MPH (not KPH) the entire time on the Autobahn...I kept
glancing at the speedometer hoping he'd slow down...but he didn't.
So pardon my pruriest interest but how long does it take an Austin
Mini to get from 0 -> 100mph?
(This is not a set up for a joke)
No joke...I only remember it because it was a little scary...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/1975-austin-mini-1275gt-classic-quick-drive/

..."made 0-100km/h in about 14seconds and could hit 140km/h."

*
danny burstein
2019-10-17 04:33:38 UTC
I wonder how often this kind of thing happens with tourists, in both
countries. Every time I watch a movie or TV show set in Britain I often
think if I went over there and tried to drive I'd kill myself or someone
else within two days after over 45 years of driving on the opposite side
of the road.
Yoots today. Will no one think of Winston Churchill's
visit to NYC?

https://winstonchurchill.org/publications/finest-hour/finest-hour-136/my-new-york-misadventure/
***@panix.com
A Friend
2019-10-17 12:45:29 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Post by super70s
I wonder how often this kind of thing happens with tourists, in both
countries. Every time I watch a movie or TV show set in Britain I often
think if I went over there and tried to drive I'd kill myself or someone
else within two days after over 45 years of driving on the opposite side
of the road.
Yoots today. Will no one think of Winston Churchill's
visit to NYC?
https://winstonchurchill.org/publications/finest-hour/finest-hour-136/my-new-york-misadventure/
Matthew Broderick and Jennifer Grey got into a car smash in Northern
Ireland about 30 years ago because he was on the wrong side of the
road:

"On August 5, 1987, while driving a rented BMW in Enniskillen, Northern
Ireland, Broderick crossed into the wrong lane and collided head-on
with a Volvo driven by Anna Gallagher, 28, accompanied by her mother,
Margaret Doherty, 63, killing both instantly. He was vacationing with
Jennifer Grey, whom he began dating in semi-secrecy during the filming
of Ferris Bueller's Day Off; the crash publicly revealed their
relationship. He had a fractured leg and ribs, a concussion, and a
collapsed lung. Grey received minor injuries, including whiplash.

"Broderick told police he had no recollection of the crash and did not
know why he was in the wrong lane: 'I don't remember the day. I don't
remember even getting up in the morning. I don't remember making my
bed. What I first remember is waking up in the hospital, with a very
strange feeling going on in my leg.' He was charged with causing death
by dangerous driving and faced up to five years in prison, but was
later convicted of the lesser charge of careless driving and fined
$175.

"The victims' son and brother, Martin Doherty, called the verdict 'a
travesty of justice'. He later forgave Broderick, amid plans to meet
with him in 2003, to gain a sense of closure. In February 2012, when
Broderick was featured in a multi-million-dollar Honda commercial aired
during the Super Bowl, Doherty said the meeting had not taken place and
that Broderick 'wasn't the greatest choice of drivers, knowing his
past.'"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Broderick#1987_car_crash
The Horny Goat
2019-10-18 00:49:26 UTC
Post by A Friend
"Broderick told police he had no recollection of the crash and did not
know why he was in the wrong lane: 'I don't remember the day. I don't
remember even getting up in the morning. I don't remember making my
bed. What I first remember is waking up in the hospital, with a very
strange feeling going on in my leg.' He was charged with causing death
by dangerous driving and faced up to five years in prison, but was
later convicted of the lesser charge of careless driving and fined
$175.
My daughter who has been living in the UK since 2014 (and keeping her
BC drivers' licence in good standing during her trips home) recently
got a UK licence. After having been on UK roads for 5 years as
pedestrian, cyclist and passenger she said she did not find switching
to 'the other side of the road' particularly onerous.

She doesn't intend to drive much but wants to be able to rent a car in
Europe when she's outside London. She specifically included France in
that and as you know plenty of places in Europe don't drive on the
left.....
The Horny Goat
2019-10-20 22:16:02 UTC
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 04:33:38 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
Post by danny burstein
Post by super70s
I wonder how often this kind of thing happens with tourists, in both
countries. Every time I watch a movie or TV show set in Britain I often
think if I went over there and tried to drive I'd kill myself or someone
else within two days after over 45 years of driving on the opposite side
of the road.
Yoots today. Will no one think of Winston Churchill's
visit to NYC?
https://winstonchurchill.org/publications/finest-hour/finest-hour-136/my-new-york-misadventure/
This specific story has been discussed several times on
soc.history.what-if which is a newsgroup devoted to counterfactuals.

(There's a reason why my favorite episode of Star Trek is "The City on
the Edge of Forever" where Kirk and Spock go back in time and Kirk
falls in love with Edith Keeler (played by a very young Joan Collins)
where Spock physically restrains Kirk from saving her from being
struck by a car after Spock determines that she had started a pacifist
movement which had she lived would have kept the US out of WW2,
allowed a Nazi victory which would create a world which would prevent
the formation of the United Federation of Planets)
A Friend
2019-10-20 23:13:52 UTC
Post by super70s
https://winstonchurchill.org/publications/finest-hour/finest-hour-136/my-new-
york-misadventure/
This specific story has been discussed several times on
soc.history.what-if which is a newsgroup devoted to counterfactuals.
(There's a reason why my favorite episode of Star Trek is "The City
on the Edge of Forever" where Kirk and Spock go back in time and Kirk
falls in love with Edith Keeler (played by a very young Joan Collins)
where Spock physically restrains Kirk
Kirk restrains McCoy.
Post by The Horny Goat
from saving her from being struck by a car after Spock determines
that she had started a pacifist movement which had she lived would
have kept the US out of WW2, allowed a Nazi victory which would
create a world which would prevent the formation of the United
Federation of Planets)
It's more complex than that. You'll remember the weird little guy
early on who says something ungallant about Edith during the meeting,
and Kirk tells him to shut up. Well, that guy is named Rodent in
Harlan Ellison's script. (I'm not sure if he's named anything in Gene
Coon's rewrite.) In the original history, Rodent will soon rape and
kill Edith -- but McCoy arrives in the past and falls unconscious,
Rodent rolls him, finds the phaser, and accidentally kills himself via
overload before he can ever attack Edith. That's how history changes.

Edith dies anyway because she's distracted by the happy reunion of
Kirk, Spock and McCoy while she's re-crossing the street, and she
doesn't see the truck coming. Her death would not have happened
without the three of them being there whooping it up, so it's their
presence in the past that not only changes history but fixes it, too.
A Friend
2019-10-17 15:26:39 UTC
In article
[...]
I've already mentioned Matthew Broderick. The other-side-of-the-road
thing is so deeply ingrained in us that we don't really appreciate it.

I myself was on foot and trying to cross a pickup lane at Heathrow when
I almost got nailed by a cab because I was looking the wrong way.
There were all kinds of signs to warn travelers about it, and I thought
I was doing everything right, but I wasn't.
Rhino
2019-10-17 19:56:03 UTC
In article
[...]
I remember walking around central London seeing signs painted on the
sidewalk at crossing points advising people to "Look left" before
crossing the streets. Given London's popularity as a tourist
destination, I have to imagine that those signs were specifically for
the sake of the tourists. I don't remember anything similar for any of
the other cities I visited in the UK, including Stratford-on-Avon, which
is also quite touristy.
Rhino
The Horny Goat
2019-10-18 02:53:24 UTC
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 15:56:03 -0400, Rhino
Post by Rhino
I remember walking around central London seeing signs painted on the
sidewalk at crossing points advising people to "Look left" before
crossing the streets. Given London's popularity as a tourist
destination, I have to imagine that those signs were specifically for
the sake of the tourists. I don't remember anything similar for any of
the other cities I visited in the UK, including Stratford-on-Avon, which
is also quite touristy.
The main thing I remember being amazed about Londoners and cars was
how in residential areas people would park both for and against the
flow of traffic and parking on sidewalks was frequent. Never saw that
in business districts but on residential side streets all the time.