Republican congressman explains sea-level rise: it's rocks falling into the sea
2018-05-17 21:42:07 UTC
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republican-congressman-explains-sea-level-rise-its-rocks-falling-into-the-sea/ar-AAxrdgO?li=BBnbfcL

A member of Congress has suggested that the White Cliffs of Dover tumbling into
the English Channel was causing rising sea levels.

Republican Mo Brooks of Alabama pushed back at the notion that rising sea levels
were the result of global warming in a hearing of the House Science, Space and
Technology on Wednesday.

Instead, Brooks pointed to silt deposition as well as erosion as a cause of
rising sea levels. Questioning scientist Phil Duffy of the Woods Hole Research
Center, Brooks postulated that silt and mud washed by rivers into the ocean
caused water levels to rise as it settled on the sea floor. “Now you have got
less space in those oceans because the bottom is moving up,” he said.

He went on: “What about the White Cliffs of Dover … [and] California, where you
have the waves crashing against the shorelines, and time and time again you have
the cliffs crashing into the sea? All of that displaces water which forces it to
rise, does it not?”

Duffy answered: “I’m pretty sure on human timescales, those are minuscule
effects.”

The questioning went on as Brooks argued the Antarctic ice sheet was actually
growing. A recent study reported that the ice sheet had shrunk by 1,463km from
2010 to 2016.

Duffy disagreed, noting that “we have satellite records clearly documenting a
shrinkage of the Antarctic ice sheet and an acceleration of that shrinkage” and
citing “the National Snow and Ice Data Center and the National Aeronautics and
Space Administration” for his data.

However, Brooks insisted: “Well, I’ve got a Nasa base in my district, and
apparently, they’re telling you one thing and me a different thing.”

Brooks said: “There are plenty of studies that have come that show with respect
to Antarctica that the total ice sheet, particularly that above land, is
increasing, not decreasing. Now, you could make a different argument if you want
to talk about Greenland or the Arctic.”

Brooks, a graduate of Duke University and University of Alabama School of Law,
was first elected to Congress in 2010 from his North Alabama district. In 2017,
he mounted an unsuccessful bid for the US Senate vacated by attorney general
Jeff Sessions. Brooks finished third in the Republican primary behind the
eventual nominee Roy Moore as well as appointed incumbent Luther Strange.

2018-05-17 23:23:47 UTC
[...]
I'd be curious to know exactly who at NASA told him the Antarctic ice
sheet was growing.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/nov/20/americannewsc
om/no-nasa-antarctica-study-didnt-discredit-climate-c/
Still the cream of the intellectual crop as far as Republicans go.
Siri Cruise
2018-05-18 04:04:55 UTC
However, Brooks insisted: "Well, I've got a Nasa base in my district, and
apparently, they're telling you one thing and me a different thing."
I'd be curious to know exactly who at NASA told him the Antarctic ice
sheet was growing.
As the ice sheet melts away, continental glaciers flow more rapidly into the
sea, so they briefly increase the sea ice before it too becomes sea water.
Perhaps that's what Congressman Gumby is thinking.
Mitchell Holman
2018-05-18 02:09:23 UTC
[...]
Our local Republican nutcase Joe Barton has
argued that global warming isn't real and besides
it is caused by wind turbines that slow down the
movement of air.

http://content.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1997963,00.html
Miloch
2018-05-18 02:28:50 UTC
In article <***@216.166.97.131>, Mitchell Holman
says...
Post by Mitchell Holman
Post by Miloch
[...]
What's scary is that Brooks is a member of the House Science Committee!

The retiring committee chairman, Representative Lamar Smith (R–TX), is even
worse...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/11/house-science-chair-retire-congress

"But his departure could be more than simply a changing of the Republican guard.
Smith, trained as a lawyer, has fought acrimonious battles with scientists over
peer review, climate change, and the role of the federal government in
supporting basic research since becoming chairman in January 2013. He has
clashed repeatedly with senior officials at the National Science Foundation,
which he has accused of wasting tax dollars on frivolous research, and at the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), which he believes has hampered economic
development through overregulation.

“Chairman Smith’s climate denial and investigations have created consternation
in the scientific community and relations have deteriorated while he’s been
chair,” one longtime observer says. “But he has not been fundamentally hostile
to the scientific or academic enterprise. In an increasingly ideological and
polarized Congress, it’s not clear whether his successor will be less
controversial.”

"The Union of Concerned Scientists, which has been one of Smith’s leading
critics over the years, says his departure “offers Congress and the science
community a chance for a fresh start.” The science committee “became a venue for
partisan conflict and political interference in science” during his tenure, says
Andrew Rosenberg, who heads the union’s center for science and democracy in
Cambridge, Massachusetts.

2018-05-18 04:01:15 UTC
Post by Mitchell Holman
Our local Republican nutcase Joe Barton has
argued that global warming isn't real and besides
it is caused by wind turbines that slow down the
movement of air.
High school physics should answer that: the only way for wind turbines to
generate electricity is to extract energy from wind, which means they must cool
the air.

The one case I am certain of is the Mississippi delta. Its weight is depressing
the floor of Gulf of Mexico and increasing its volume, lowerring the sea level.
This depression is why New Orleans is sinking into the Gulf.
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-05-18 16:45:09 UTC
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republican-congressman-explains-sea-level-rise-its-rocks-falling-into-the-sea/ar-AAxrdgO?li=BBnbfcL
A member of Congress has suggested that the White Cliffs of Dover tumbling into
the English Channel was causing rising sea levels.
As believable as the water from glaciers raise the sea level isn't
it....? The silt from the Amazon is probably doing more to raise the sea
level than the Cliffs of Dover.

Then there are volcanoes under the sea and above it that spew rock to
displace the water and raise the sea level, to believe that only water
or "melting ice" raises the sea level would be ignorant. There are also
millions of tons of space dust and meteorites that fall into the oceans
that cover 2/3 of the planet.
That's Karma
Gronk
2018-05-23 03:48:30 UTC
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Miloch
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republican-congressman-explains-sea-level-rise-its-rocks-falling-into-the-sea/ar-AAxrdgO?li=BBnbfcL
A member of Congress has suggested that the White Cliffs of Dover tumbling into
the English Channel was causing rising sea levels.
As believable as the water from glaciers raise the sea level isn't
it....?
Do you have any idea how much water is locked up in ice?

Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
level than the Cliffs of Dover.
Bullshit.
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
Then there are volcanoes under the sea and above it that spew rock to
displace the water and raise the sea level, to believe that only water
More bullshit.
Why do we still have oceans then?
Siri Cruise
2018-05-23 04:48:22 UTC
Post by #BeamMeUpScotty
level than the Cliffs of Dover.
Bullshit.
Rocks are three to five times as dense as water, which makes them depress the
sea floor more than water. Depressing the sea floor increases volume and
decreases sea level. Adding water without depressing the sea floor increases sea
level.