115 Cable Channels Ranked by 2019 Viewership ˆ Yes, Comedy.TV Is Still Dead Last
2019-12-25 13:37:36 UTC
http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/115-cable-channels-ranked-by-2019-viewership-%e2%80%93-yes-comedytv-is-still-dead-last/

2019 is finally coming to an end, taking with it a decade that saw major changes
in the way people watched television. But before we close the book on 2019 and
dive into 2020, let's look back at how the final year of the 2010s treated our
favorite cable channels by employing the most hallowed form of year-end content
— the ranked list.

For the fourth year in a row, Fox News Channel finished 2019 as the most-watched
network on cable, according to Nielsen's Live + Same Day ratings. That claim
holds true for both primetime (8 p.m. to 11 p.m.) and total day (6 a.m. to 6
a.m.). As a matter of fact, Fox News is currently enjoying its most-watched year
ever in primetime.

ESPN was again runner-up in primetime, but MSNBC bumped the world's most
expensive cable channel to third in total day rankings.

MSNBC, HGTV and Hallmark Channel complete the Top 5 primetime cable networks,
according to Nielsen's Live + Same Day data through Dec. 9. TBS, TNT, USA
Network, CNN and History round out the Top 10.

Once again, Comedy.TV ranked dead last in the study, which encompassed 115
networks. The network averaged a paltry 1,000 total viewers across both
primetime and the full day, performing even worse than such little-watched
networks as Newsy, MTV Classic, beIN Sports and beIN Sports Español.

Looking ahead, Fox News, MSNBC and CNN should all have a pretty excellent 2020
with the presidential election set for next November.

The below Nielsen rankers are in thousands, which means Fox News averaged 2.481
million primetime viewers, just 1,000 fewer total viewers than in 2018. For this
story we ignored delayed viewing, which skews hard against news and sports
programming. The rankings would change if we included catch-up tuning.

See the full rankings for both primetime and total-day viewership, below.

Primetime (Mon-Sun, 8-11 p.m.)

Rank Network P2+ AA (000)
1 FOX NEWS CHANNEL 2,481
2 ESPN 1,784
3 MSNBC 1,753
4 HOME AND GARDEN TV 1,199
5 HALLMARK CHANNEL 1,100
6 TBS NETWORK 1,055
7 TURNER NETWORK TELEVISION 1,050
8 USA NETWORK 1,042
12 A&E NETWORK 935
13 INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY 910
14 DISCOVERY CHANNEL 894
15 FOOD NETWORK 823
16 TV LAND 609
21 LIFETIME TELEVISION 559
22 HALLMARK MOVIES & MYSTERIES 500
24 ADULT SWIM 493
28 ANIMAL PLANET 426
31 TRAVEL CHANNEL 401
32 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC 400
35 THE CARTOON NETWORK 369
36 NICK JR 366
37 COMEDY CENTRAL 339
38 OPRAH WINFREY NETWORK 329
39 BLACK ENTERTAINMENT TV 328
40 NBC SPORTS NETWORK 327
41 FOX SPORTS 1 318
42 LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK 311
45 WGN AMERICA 298
46 OXYGEN MEDIA 275
49 NFL NETWORK 265
51 MOTOR TREND 240
52 NAT GEO WILD 236
57 IFC TV 214
58 SUNDANCE TV 212
59 FAMILY ENT TV 187
60 DIY NETWORK 186
61 THE WEATHER CHANNEL 180
64 COOKING CHANNEL 140
65 MLB NETWORK 137
68 FX MOVIE CHANNEL 127
70 DISNEY XD 124
71 TV ONE 121
73 GOLF CHANNEL 101
75 FOX BUSINESS NETWORK 97
76 AMERICAN HEROES CHANNEL 94
77 BOOMERANG 93
78 UP 92
79 RFD-TV 87
80 GREAT AMERICAN COUNTRY 86
81 NBA-TV 85
81 TEENNICK 85
83 VICELAND 77
84 HALLMARK DRAMA 75
85 MTV2 74
86 DESTINATION AMERICA 72
87 DISCOVERY EN ESPANOL 69
87 ESPNU 69
87 OVATION 69
90 UNIVERSO 68
91 TENNIS CHANNEL 65
92 AXS TV 64
93 BIG TEN NETWORK 61
94 FOX DEPORTES 57
94 LOGO 57
96 DISCOVERY FAMILY CHANNEL 51
96 DISCOVERY LIFE CHANNEL 51
98 BET HER 47
99 ESPN DEPORTES 45
100 DISCOVERY FAMILIA 36
101 ESPNEWS 35
102 BABY FIRST TV 34
103 CINE LATINO 31
104 UNIVERSAL KIDS 29
105 FUSE 28
106 CNN EN ESPANOL 26
107 EL REY 25
108 FOX SPORTS 2 17
109 BEIN SPORT ESPANOL 11
110 JUSTICE CENTRAL 11
111 MTV CLASSIC 9
112 BEIN SPORT 5
113 NEWSY 3
113 ESN LIFESTYLES 3
115 COMEDY.TV 1

2019-12-25 17:52:31 UTC
[...]
networks as Newsy, MTV Classic, beIN Sports and beIN Sports Espaol.
[...]
I did a quick count and I only have 16 of these in my surfing lineup.

Also apparently not a lot of Turner Classic Movies fans out there.
Miloch
2019-12-25 17:58:44 UTC
In article <super70s-***@reader01.eternal-september.org>,
super70s says...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/115-cable-channels-ranked-
by-2019-viewership-%e2%80%93-yes-comedytv-is-still-dead-last/
2019 is finally coming to an end, taking with it a decade that saw major
changes in the way people watched television. But before we close the book on
2019 and dive into 2020, let's look back at how the final year of the 2010s
treated our favorite cable channels by employing the most hallowed form of
year-end content -- the ranked list.
For the fourth year in a row, Fox News Channel finished 2019 as the
most-watched network on cable, according to Nielsen's Live + Same Day ratings.
That claim holds true for both primetime (8 p.m. to 11 p.m.) and total day (6 a.m.
to 6 a.m.). As a matter of fact, Fox News is currently enjoying its most-watched
year ever in primetime.
TV 1
Post by super70s
I did a quick count and I only have 16 of these in my surfing lineup.
Also apparently not a lot of Turner Classic Movies fans out there.
I used to watch a lot of History Channel until they stopped and showed anything
but history.

Basically a news junkie and like channels like Discovery. Never watch the
normal channels with sitcoms etc.

*
moviePig
2019-12-25 18:08:41 UTC
[...]
ESPN-combined is ~2,200 (which would seem to approximate its "reach").

(And wtf is 'Home and Garden TV'?...)
super70s
2019-12-25 19:11:25 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by super70s
I did a quick count and I only have 16 of these in my surfing lineup.
Also apparently not a lot of Turner Classic Movies fans out there.
ESPN-combined is ~2,200 (which would seem to approximate its "reach").
(And wtf is 'Home and Garden TV'?...)
I just did an "All" and looks like my provider has it on channel 62,
it's a "Property Brothers: Fovever Home" marathon on Christmas
apparently.

One show is titled "Flipping Virgins," that must draw a lot of
disappointed guys.
danny burstein
2019-12-25 19:20:48 UTC
In <PANMF.29222$***@fx11.iad> moviePig <***@moviepig.com> writes:

[snip]
Post by moviePig
ESPN-combined is ~2,200 (which would seem to approximate its "reach").
(And wtf is 'Home and Garden TV'?...)
One of those innocuous, visually attractive pieces of
time wasting fluff used for backround in medical and
other offices...
***@panix.com
2019-12-25 21:34:06 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[snip]
Post by moviePig
ESPN-combined is ~2,200 (which would seem to approximate its "reach").
(And wtf is 'Home and Garden TV'?...)
One of those innocuous, visually attractive pieces of
time wasting fluff used for backround in medical and
other offices...
When ranked #4...1,199,000 average viewers is hardly fluff! Discover Inc owns
it along with:

American Heroes Channel
Animal Planet
Cooking Channel
Destination America
Discovery Life
Discovery Channel
DIY Network
Food Network
Great American Country
Investigation Discovery
TLC
Travel Channel

I can pretty much guarantee that if you want one of their channels, Discovery
Inc will make you take all or a good portion of their entire catalog of
channels.

Anyone remember the Dumont Network?...Jackie Gleason first appeared on that
network...

"The network was hindered by the prohibitive cost of broadcasting, by
regulations imposed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) which
restricted the company's growth, and even by the company's partner, Paramount
Pictures. Despite several innovations in broadcasting and the creation of one of
television's biggest stars of the 1950s, Jackie Gleason, the network never found
itself on solid financial ground. Forced to expand on UHF channels during an era
when UHF tuning was not yet a standard feature of television sets, DuMont fought
an uphill battle for program clearances outside its three owned-and-operated
stations in New York City, Washington, D.C. and Pittsburgh, eventually ending
network operations on August 6, 1956.

"DuMont's latter-day obscurity, caused mainly by the destruction of its
extensive program archive by the 1970s, has prompted TV historian David
Weinstein to refer to it as the "forgotten network".[6] A few popular DuMont
programs, such as Cavalcade of Stars and Emmy Award winner Life Is Worth Living,
appear in television retrospectives or are mentioned briefly in books about U.S.
television history.

2019-12-25 23:14:54 UTC
[...]
It was slightly before my time but seems like I remember it mentioned
often in an old PBS documentary about television.

Paramount got the last laugh though when it named a channel after itself
when it replaced Spike.

I don't know if any network is currently running Honeymooners reruns, I
haven't seen them since TVLand I guess used to run them several years
ago. Of course the #MeToo movement wouldn't appreciate Alice being
threatened with being "sent to the moon" in every episode.

A Friend
A lot of people didn't appreciate that, even at the time.
A Friend
2019-12-26 03:48:47 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[snip]
Post by moviePig
[...]
I don't know where that's from, but it's pretty poor.

DuMont's main problem was that, unlike the other nets, it didn't have a
radio network to subsidize its startup losses. It developed talent
(you mentioned Jackie Gleason) but the best stuff was quickly poached
by CBS and NBC. I think the biggest name DuMont managed to hang onto
was Morey Amsterdam, which just goes to show you.

The destruction of DuMont's archives was authored by a higher-up at
Metromedia, who decided he owned everything in the archives (he didn't)
to save on storage fees, and so he had everything loaded into trucks
and dumped into New York's East River. He also dumped Metromedia stuff
he claimed to own, such as the kid show "Winchell-Mahoney Time." Paul
Winchell collected a huge payoff in court over that -- $27 million,
IIRC.

The only stuff you see from that era was held onto by ad agencies and a
handful of kinescope collectors. It was rare that a producer would
kinescope his live programming, although Gleason did it routinely and
kept the copies, which he claimed not to know about for tax reasons.

BTW "Life Is Worth Living" was Bishop Sheen's show. I remember
thinking at the time (I was four or five) that Sheen looked like
Dracula. Saw it again not so long ago and decided I'd been right.
A Friend
2019-12-26 03:32:42 UTC
Post by moviePig
(And wtf is 'Home and Garden TV'?...)
Better known these days as HGTV.

I'm a little surprised that Hallmark Movies & Mysteries has only half
the audience of Hallmark Channel. Maybe it suffers from a lack of
carriers? Also, Hallmark Drama isn't even on the list.
Ubiquitous
2019-12-28 01:32:42 UTC
Post by moviePig
[...]
NB: FNC is nearly double that of the highest competitor, although I am being
generous with MSDNC...
It should come as no surprised, since FNC is the least biased news network.
Post by moviePig
[...]
AKA "HGTV", a DIY home improvement network.

--
"We need to impeach the President to find out what crime he committed."
- Nancy Pelosi
super70s
2019-12-28 03:24:40 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Miloch
[...]
...is #1 with white male senior citizens who have nothing better to do
than plant their butts in front of a TV all day and all night and never
change the channel.
Ubiquitous
2019-12-29 01:48:31 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Miloch
[...]
Actuallty, FNC is the most diverse, evenly divided amongst leftists,
conservatives, and moderates.

--
"We need to impeach the President to find out what crime he committed."
- Nancy Pelosi
FPP
2019-12-29 01:51:17 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by super70s
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Miloch
[...]
Goldfish love it too! Mainly because it's pitched for their level of
intelligence.
--
"You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all
so that when you write negative stories about me no one will believe
attacks the press so often.)
Miloch
2019-12-29 03:06:27 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by super70s
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by Miloch
[...]
...goldfish and...Lou Dobbs...who was too nutball for CNN and they 'released'
him from his contract! He found a home at Fox Business Network a year later.

Birtherism

Dobbs promoted the false conspiracy theory that Barack Obama was not born in the
United States. His willingness to raise the "birther" issue repeatedly, even
though CNN itself considered it a "discredited rumor", led the Washington Post's
TV critic to remark that this "explains their upcoming documentary: 'The World:
Flat. We Report – You Decide.'" The issue had come up in 2008 during the
Presidential campaign, and had largely disappeared from the media spotlight
until Dobbs picked up the issue again.

His statements in support of these conspiracy theories were dubbed "racist" and
"defamatory" by the Southern Poverty Law Center. The controversy led to Media
Matters airing ads critical of Dobbs and of CNN, and to Jon Stewart mocking
Dobbs on the satirical Comedy Central television series The Daily Show.

The Associated Press said that Dobbs had "become a publicity nightmare for CNN,
embarrassed his boss and hosted a show that seemed to contradict the network's
'no bias' brand."

*
pattieireland
2019-12-30 04:46:33 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by super70s
/
[...]
That must be why it's most diverse, all the niggers need programming s
low iq as they are. Look at kike murray rothstein's viacom, and how every
channel there has turned into bet.