California Democrats pass resolution calling for John Wayne Airport to be renamed
2020-06-28 03:24:20 UTC
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-democrats-resolution-john-wayne-airport-renamed

The resolution calls for the reversal of the 1979 decision to rename it after
Duke.

California Democrats in Orange County are demanding that the county’s John Wayne
Airport be renamed and all likenesses of Wayne be removed from the airport, over
“racist and bigoted statements” made by the American icon decades ago.

“The Democratic Party of Orange County condemns John Wayne’s racist and bigoted
statements, and calls for John Waynes’ name and likeness to be removed from the
Orange County airport, and calls on the OC Board of Supervisors to restore its
original name: Orange County Airport,” the resolution, passed Friday, says.

The resolution, first reported by the Los Angeles Times, calls on the Orange
County Board of Supervisors to reverse the 1979 decision to rename it after
Duke, and cites remarks he made in a 1971 interview with Playboy.

“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of
responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership
and judgment to irresponsible people,” he said in that interview nearly 50 years
ago.

“I don’t feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people
were slaves,” he said at another point in the interview.

There have been a number of pushes to rename the airport as a result of those
comments after they resurfaced. Wayne’s defenders have said it is unfair to
judge him based off remarks made nearly 50 years ago, and when he is no longer
alive to defend or even retract them.

The latest push comes amid a movement across the country to tear down monuments
and rename buildings and institutions that are named after people deemed to have
held racist views or committed racist acts.

The Democratic resolution hails a “national movement to remove white supremacist
symbols and names is reshaping American institutions, monuments, businesses,
nonprofits, sports leagues and teams, as it is widely recognized that racist
symbols produce lasting physical and psychological stress and trauma
particularly to Black communities, people of color and other oppressed groups,
and the removal of racist symbols provides a necessary process for communities
to remember historic acts of violence and recognize victims of oppression."

According to the LA Times, Wayne lived a good portion of his life in Newport
Beach in Orange County, was a political power broker in the county and was
buried in the city after his death in 1979.

2020-06-28 04:53:58 UTC
[...]
And Asian-Americans shouldn't forget Chen Lee, the Hattie McDaniel of
True Grit.
moviePig
2020-06-28 20:01:17 UTC
[...]
Hope this isn't too outrageous an observation, but... Wayne's quotes
above (and though he could be fooling me) don't seem to me irrecoverably
racist so much as ignorant of later social insight. For one thing, he
seems to *blame* blacks for their "irresponsibility" ...which is a damn
sight better than a condescending acceptance of it as the "natural order
of things". Point being that surely there must be better racist symbols
to target than an old white dude whom we remember almost exclusively for
the admirable traits his image embodied.