Whose house was this?
Kris Baker
2006-08-06 17:35:00 UTC
Years ago, on Sunset Boulevard, there was a home with a statue in front -
and the statue was of a tourist (tourists?) taking pictures of the home.
I was trying to explain this to a friend, and she asked me whose home it
was. Anyone know? (I guessed Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis or someone
non-famous).

Kris
Mikki
2006-08-06 17:41:15 UTC
Years ago, on Sunset Boulevard, there was a home with a statue in front - and
the statue was of a tourist (tourists?) taking pictures of the home.
I was trying to explain this to a friend, and she asked me whose home it was.
Anyone know? (I guessed Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis or someone non-famous).
Kris
I know exactly the house you're talking about. There are other statues there
too, and they are very well done, but I have no idea whose house it is or has
been. It's a very busy area, so you can't slow down to take a good look, but I
think there is a little area where you can turn in to get off the busy street
and take a better look.

Okay, I just asked my husband who says that is the Playboy Mansion West.
Guaranteed. I never knew that and I think I've asked him about that house
before. He knows Los Angeles very well, so I'll choose to believe him.
;~)
Mikki
Ms.B.Haven
2006-08-06 18:05:42 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
Years ago, on Sunset Boulevard, there was a home with a statue in front -
and the statue was of a tourist (tourists?) taking pictures of the home.
I was trying to explain this to a friend, and she asked me whose home it
was. Anyone know? (I guessed Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis or someone
non-famous).
Haderway Hall - 10,000 Sunset Blvd. Was owned by Howard Hughes once as
well as Vincente Minelli and Judy Garland.

pictures: http://www.beachcalifornia.com/sunset-boulevard-statues.html
Razzle Bathbone
2006-08-06 18:17:38 UTC
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:35:00 GMT, "Kris Baker"
Post by Kris Baker
Years ago, on Sunset Boulevard, there was a home with a statue in front -
and the statue was of a tourist (tourists?) taking pictures of the home.
I was trying to explain this to a friend, and she asked me whose home it
was. Anyone know? (I guessed Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis or someone
non-famous).
Kris
Kris, I'm not sure but I think that was Judy Garland's house. There
are several statues on the lawn but I think the first ones were the
tourists taking pictures over the wall.

Razzle------------I also read somewhere that Howard Hughes also owned
the house at one time.
c***@gmail.com
2006-08-06 18:20:03 UTC
I guess that's close enough to the name Hugh Hefner. Gaur-an-teed.
Mikki
2006-08-06 18:26:41 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Razzle Bathbone
Razzle------------I also read somewhere that Howard Hughes also owned
the house at one time.
I guess that's close enough to the name Hugh Hefner. Gaur-an-teed.
You're right; he screwed me again! Oh well, that should teach me.
;~)
Kris Baker
2006-08-06 18:32:20 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
Years ago, on Sunset Boulevard, there was a home with a statue in front -
and the statue was of a tourist (tourists?) taking pictures of the home.
I was trying to explain this to a friend, and she asked me whose home it
was. Anyone know? (I guessed Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis or someone
non-famous).
Kris
Thanks, everyone! Now I know where to start looking for a picture
of that statue, with the geeky tourist and cameras around his neck.

Kris
"JonesieCat" <Long Ago & Far Away>
2006-08-06 23:19:40 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
Post by Kris Baker
Years ago, on Sunset Boulevard, there was a home with a statue in front -
and the statue was of a tourist (tourists?) taking pictures of the home.
I was trying to explain this to a friend, and she asked me whose home it
was. Anyone know? (I guessed Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis or someone
non-famous).
Kris
Thanks, everyone! Now I know where to start looking for a picture
of that statue, with the geeky tourist and cameras around his neck.
Kris
I got a visual of the place as soon as you mentioned it - made me homesick
for L.A.! Seems the house accumulates more statuary every year too.
Great-looking place. (You saw the pic link on this thread right?) Despite
assertions to the contrary (and by those who likely are much more
celebratory-informed than I, I don't believe this house has ever been owned
by anyone particularly famous). What made you think of it?

jc
Kris Baker
2006-08-07 01:29:25 UTC
Post by "JonesieCat" <Long Ago & Far Away>
Post by Kris Baker
Post by Kris Baker
[...]
A friend and I were talking about "tacky stuff" and I remembered
seeing the statue of the tourist when I was a teenager. She'd
never seen it, and I couldn't explain it.

But I still can't find an image of that particular statue; the ones
I'm seeing are tasteful. The one I actually saw was a grotesque
cartoon of a bermuda-shorts clad tourist with cameras.

Kris
"JonesieCat" <Long Ago & Far Away>
2006-08-08 08:37:53 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
Post by Kris Baker
[...]
You're right - that particular pic isn't here, but this link is the place
you're thinking of, I feel sure. I recognize this place, and have seen the
statue you're talking about: a couple of yokel sight-seers, but surprisingly
realistic at first glance. Driving toward the 405 freeway on Sunset, coming
from the East, the house is on the left side. Or - hey - at least this is
the house _I_ remember at any rate! Thx to poster Ms.B.Haven who says the
house once belonged to Garland and Minelli, and Howard Hughes. I'm skeptical
of that part, but maybe true, who knows? Where ever, hope you can find a
specific pic.
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/sunset-boulevard-statues.html

jc (think I'm going to make a point of driving up to see this place whenever
I'm in L.A. next)
m***@drizzle.com
2006-08-07 05:00:29 UTC
I believe one of Rock Hudson's houses had a brick wall that backed up
against Sunset in Holmby Hills. There were statuary "lookie-loos"
climbing the wall to peer over into the yard.

Kris
Kris Baker
2006-08-07 14:25:23 UTC
Post by m***@drizzle.com
I believe one of Rock Hudson's houses had a brick wall that backed up
against Sunset in Holmby Hills. There were statuary "lookie-loos"
climbing the wall to peer over into the yard.
I think we're getting closer.

The statue I'm remembering (and this has been years) has
a tourist (couple?) and cameras, standing on the lawn. After
reading about Lucille Ball being so angry about the tourists
invading her place, I'm wondering if the statue was hers.
Really lookie-loo hicks.

Kris
JFlexer
2006-08-07 20:36:12 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
Post by m***@drizzle.com
I believe one of Rock Hudson's houses had a brick wall that backed up
against Sunset in Holmby Hills. There were statuary "lookie-loos"
climbing the wall to peer over into the yard.
I think we're getting closer.
The statue I'm remembering (and this has been years) has
a tourist (couple?) and cameras, standing on the lawn. After
reading about Lucille Ball being so angry about the tourists
invading her place, I'm wondering if the statue was hers.
Really lookie-loo hicks.
Kris
Lucy's house was not on Sunset - it is on one of of the side streets in the
90210 area north of Santa Monica, south of Sunset (like Canon or Beverly or
one of those). No wall around the front of her house.

The statues you describe reminded me of the Lucy episode where she and Ethel
are on a star's home tour, They miss the bus cause they are busy scaling a
wall to pick a grapefruit from Richard Widmark's tree... naturally, they
end up in big trouble. Maybe the statues are a tribute to that episode?
Maybe the home was once owned by Richard Widmark
--
-J

** Keeper of Bette Midler and Betty Buckley **
Kris Baker
2006-08-07 23:04:38 UTC
Post by JFlexer
Post by Kris Baker
Post by m***@drizzle.com
[...]
Yeah, except they weren't both women. It was a man and a
woman, in (IIRC) rumpled shirts and shorts. I found Lucy's
house, and it was like 1000 Roxbury.

Wherever they were, they must have been removed years ago
because although we're coming up with good stuff, they're
just not "right".

I'm pretty sure it was a comedian's house.

Kris
c***@gmail.com
I stayed at the house in the mid 70's and will only verify that the property was owned at that time by the Penn family (Carolina's)the property was previously owned by Hughes and then Garland and Minelli before the Penn's.
b***@gmail.com
2019-07-06 18:52:07 UTC
The house us owned by a distant relative of ours who bought it in the 80’s Stanley Black and his beautiful late wife Joyce
l***@gmail.com
2019-08-11 06:44:48 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
Years ago, on Sunset Boulevard, there was a home with a statue in front -
and the statue was of a tourist (tourists?) taking pictures of the home.
I was trying to explain this to a friend, and she asked me whose home it
was. Anyone know? (I guessed Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis or someone
non-famous).
Kris
Just the movie, sunnset bouleverd, 1950,