Trump's heir? Pence reemerges, lays groundwork for 2024 run
2021-03-30 15:18:26 UTC
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-heir-pence-reemerges-lays-040658191.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — When former President Donald Trump was asked to list those he
considers the future leaders of the Republican Party, he quickly rattled off
names including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Sens. Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz.
Conspicuously absent from the list: Mike Pence.

The former vice president is steadily reentering public life as he eyes a
potential run for the White House in 2024. He's joining conservative
organizations, writing op-eds, delivering speeches and launching an advocacy
group that will focus on promoting the Trump administration's accomplishments.

But Trump's neglect in mentioning Pence during a podcast interview earlier this
month signals the former vice president's unique challenge. For someone who
built a reputation as one of Trump's most steadfast supporters, Pence is now
viewed with suspicion among many Republicans for observing his constitutional
duty in January to facilitate a peaceful transfer of power to the Biden
administration, a decision that still has Trump fuming.

To prevail in a Republican presidential primary, Pence may have to reinforce his
loyalty to Trump while defending his decisions during the final days of the
administration when the president falsely alleged widespread voter fraud,
contributing to a deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol. If anyone can achieve this
awkward balance, some Republicans say, it's Pence.

“Anybody who can pull off an endorsement of Ted Cruz and become Donald Trump's
vice presidential nominee should not be counted out," said Republican strategist
Alice Stewart, who worked for Cruz's 2016 presidential campaign when Pence
endorsed him. “He has a way of splitting hairs and threading the needle that has
paid off in the past."

Pence aides generally brush off talk of the next presidential election. They
insist he is focused on his family and next year's midterm elections, when
Republicans are well positioned to regain at least one chamber of Congress.
Allies argue that, over time, the anger will subside.

“I think 2024’s a long time away and if Mike Pence runs for president he will
appeal to the Republican base in a way that will make him a strong contender,"
said Republican Rep. Jim Banks of Indiana, who chairs the conservative
Republican Study Committee and has already endorsed a Pence 2024 run. “If and
when Mike Pence steps back up to the plate, I think he will have strong appeal
among Republicans nationwide.”

Pence declined to comment for this story. For their part, Trump aides warn
against reading too much into the omission during the podcast interview.

“That was not an exclusive list,” said Trump adviser Jason Miller. Still, Trump
continued to deride Pence in the interview, falsely claiming Pence had the
authority to unilaterally overturn the results of the election, even though he
did not.

Trump has not said whether he will seek the White House again in 2024. If he
doesn't, other Republicans are making clear they won't cede the race to Pence.
Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, for instance, is already visiting the
critical primary states of Iowa and New Hampshire.

Since leaving office in January, Pence, who served as Indiana's governor and a
member of Congress before being tapped as Trump's running mate, has kept a lower
profile. He's pieced together a portfolio aimed at maintaining influence, paying
the bills and laying the groundwork for an expected presidential run.

He's forged a partnerships with the conservative Heritage Foundation and has
even been discussed as a potential president of the organization, according to
two people familiar with the discussions. He's joined the Young America’s
Foundation and a top speakers' bureau, penned an op-ed for the Daily Signal in
which he perpetuated falsehoods about the 2020 election, and recently toured a
Christian relief organization in North Carolina. He will make his first public
speech since leaving office next month at the Palmetto Family Council's annual
fundraiser in South Carolina, another crucial primary state.

Pence has also discussed writing a book, according to aides, has been in
continued conversation with his evangelical allies, and plans to spend much of
the next two years helping Republican candidates as they try to reclaim House
and Senate majorities in 2022. He's also planning to launch an advocacy
organization that aides and allies say will give him a platform to defend the
Trump administration's record and push back on the current president's policies
as he tries to merge the traditional conservative movement with Trumpism.

“He’s doing what he needs to be doing to lay the groundwork in the event he
wants to set up an exploratory committee,” Stewart said. “You have to make
money, lay the groundwork, gauge the support and then pull the trigger."

Pence’s allies see him as the natural Trump heir, someone who can keep his base
engaged while winning back suburban voters who left the party in droves during
the Trump era.

“Obviously Mike Pence has a very different persona, a very different tone. That
probably is an understatement,” said former Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a
longtime friend who now leads the Young America’s Foundation. "As long as he can
still talk about the things that Trump voters care about, but do so in a way
that’s more reflective of kind of a Midwesterner, that I think ... would be
attractive to those voters.”

Skeptics, meanwhile, see another old, milquetoast white man saddled with Trump’s
baggage, but without his charisma. For these critics, Pence is a sycophant who
debased himself for four years to avoid Trump’s wrath — only to take the blame
when Trump insisted, wrongly, that Pence could unilaterally overturn the results
of the 2020 election.

The anger at Pence took a dangerously personal turn on Jan. 6 when rioters
paraded through the Capitol chanting “Hang Mike Pence” as a mob outside set up a
makeshift gallows. During Trump's impeachment trial for sparking the
insurrection, video was presented showing Pence being rushed to safety,
sheltering in an office with his family just 100 feet from the rioters.

Signs that many in the GOP still hold Pence responsible for losing the election
have dotted the highway in many Trump strongholds, where masking tape and
markers block out his name on Trump-Pence flags and lawn signs.

Meanwhile, others, like Pompeo, are trying to claim the Trump mantle without as
much baggage.

“In many ways I think his future’s in Trump’s hands,” longtime Republican
pollster Whit Ayres said of Pence. If Trump publicly praises Pence as a loyal
lieutenant, Ayers said, he can see him being a viable candidate. But if Trump
continues to publicly blame Pence for their loss in November, “he’s toast,”
Ayres said.

In the meantime, Pence has tried to project the impression that he and the
former president have mended fences, referencing their conversations at a
meeting last month with members of the conservative Republican Study Committee.
Pence and Trump have spoken multiple times since leaving office, according to
aides for both men.

“He was very complementary of President Trump and he told us that he and
President Trump had been talking and reminiscing about the great accomplishments
of the administration and all of that,” said Rep. Mike Johnson, R-La., who
attended.

While Johnson acknowledged the tensions during the final days of the
administration “obviously adds a degree of difficulty" for Pence, he argued that
the former vice president could overcome trepidation with a focus on Trump’s
policy achievements.

“He helped achieve those and so lays claim to that legacy,” Johnson said.

“I think if he does get in he’s a viable candidate,” added Rep. Jeff Duncan of
South Carolina, whose endorsement could provide Pence with a boost if he becomes
a candidate. “He’s a force to be reckoned with.”

2021-03-30 16:08:27 UTC
The former vice president is steadily reentering public life as he eyes a
potential run for the White House in 2024. He's joining conservative
That's odd. I thought to be president you have to at least be a
chordate, but Pence has no spine.
2021-03-30 18:00:05 UTC
In article <chine.bleu-***@reader.eternal-september.org>, Siri
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Miloch
The former vice president is steadily reentering public life as he eyes a
potential run for the White House in 2024. He's joining conservative
That's odd. I thought to be president you have to at least be a
chordate, but Pence has no spine.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/09/13/mike-pence-christian-first-how-govern-president-donald-trump-column/1259832002/

"With President Donald Trump engulfed by scandal, the odds that Vice President
Mike Pence will succeed him grow stronger every day. Pious where the president
is profane and calm where he is chaotic, Pence is Trump’s temperamental
opposite, which many find reassuring. However, his record suggests his
presidency would be more divisive — on policy grounds — than the one America
endures today.

"During 30 years in public life, Pence established that he holds controversial
views that he is willing to turn into policy. He is anti-science when it comes
to evolution but he has left the impression with many that, against all medical
evidence, he believes homosexuality is a disorderand can be cured. He tried to
legalize discrimination against gay people in Indiana and wants a nationwide ban
on elective abortions, except in cases of rape, incest or to save a woman's
life.

"Pence’s views are inspired by the conservative Christianity that is the central
element of his political personality. "I'm a Christian, a conservative, and a
Republican, in that order,” he says. However he also considers questions about
his blend of faith and politics out of bounds. Recently Pence told interviewers
who asked him to react to our new biography of him, “Any time I’m criticized for
my belief in Jesus Christ. I just breathe a prayer of praise." By hiding behind
his faith in this way, he tries to benefit from it without talking about it.

*
Kensi
2021-03-30 18:31:48 UTC
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Miloch
The former vice president is steadily reentering public life as he eyes a
potential run for the White House in 2024. He's joining conservative
That's odd. I thought to be president you have to at least be a
chordate, but Pence has no spine.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/09/13/mike-pence-christian-first-how-govern-president-donald-trump-column/1259832002/
"With President Donald Trump engulfed by scandal, the odds that Vice President
Mike Pence will succeed him grow stronger every day. Pious where the president
is profane and calm where he is chaotic, Pence is Trump? temperamental
opposite, which many find reassuring. However, his record suggests his
presidency would be more divisive ?on policy grounds ?than the one America
endures today.
"During 30 years in public life, Pence established that he holds controversial
views that he is willing to turn into policy. He is anti-science when it comes
to evolution but he has left the impression with many that, against all medical
evidence, he believes homosexuality is a disorderand can be cured. He tried to
legalize discrimination against gay people in Indiana and wants a nationwide ban
on elective abortions, except in cases of rape, incest or to save a woman's
life.
"Pence? views are inspired by the conservative Christianity that is the central
element of his political personality. "I'm a Christian, a conservative, and a
Republican, in that order,?he says. However he also considers questions about
his blend of faith and politics out of bounds. Recently Pence told interviewers
who asked him to react to our new biography of him, ?ny time I? criticized for
my belief in Jesus Christ. I just breathe a prayer of praise." By hiding behind
his faith in this way, he tries to benefit from it without talking about it.
*
TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

He still lives in your head rent free. Any news about Biden and his
border crises?
Biden Be Trippin'
2021-03-30 19:01:52 UTC
Post by Kensi
Post by Miloch
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Miloch
[...]
It's kind of fun to watch Miles still suffering from TDS. Miles is a real old
man, and his final years are OWNED by President Trump.
Post by Kensi
Any news about Biden and his
border crises?
Miles loves it. His whole family is coming to the US.
Miloch
2021-03-30 19:31:26 UTC
Post by Kensi
Post by Miloch
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Miloch
[...]
...inherited from Drumpf.

*
Kensi
2021-03-30 21:50:24 UTC
Post by Kensi
Post by Miloch
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Miloch
[...]
What's happening down there now was not happening when Trump was in
office. Where did the Biden tee shirts come from?
Miloch
2021-03-30 22:10:58 UTC
Post by Kensi
Post by Miloch
Post by Kensi
Post by Miloch
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Miloch
[...]

Heh...heh heh...Ha ha...ho ho ho....heh ha ha ha ha...

Heh...heh heh...

heh...

...get serious, TrumpStooge!

*
Libtard
2021-03-31 00:27:16 UTC
Post by Kensi
Post by Miloch
Post by Kensi
Post by Miloch
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Miloch
[...]
Evasion noted.
THE OFFICIAL FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD VOTE WRANGLER
Miloch
2021-03-31 00:40:27 UTC
Post by Libtard
Post by Miloch
Post by Kensi
Post by Miloch
Post by Kensi
Post by Miloch
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Miloch
[...]
Errr...Ahhhh...Ya...ya got me...now run along home and tell your Mama what a
good boy ya are! Maybe she'll reward ya with a cookie!

2021-03-30 22:19:25 UTC
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-heir-pence-reemerges-lays-
040658191.html
WASHINGTON (AP) - When former President Donald Trump was asked to list
those he considers the future leaders of the Republican Party, he quickly
rattled off names including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Sens. Josh Hawley
and Ted Cruz. Conspicuously absent from the list: Mike Pence.
The former vice president is steadily reentering public life as he eyes a
potential run for the White House in 2024. He's joining conservative
organizations, writing op-eds, delivering speeches and launching an
advocacy group that will focus on promoting the Trump administration's
accomplishments.
Good luck with that.
Post by Miloch
Skeptics, meanwhile, see another old, milquetoast white man saddled with
Trump's baggage, but without his charisma. For these critics, Pence is a
sycophant who debased himself for four years to avoid Trump's wrath --
only to take the blame when Trump insisted, wrongly, that Pence could
unilaterally overturn the results of the 2020 election.
Yeah it's not gonna happen for Heinrich Himmler 2.0 (at least Himmler
was brave enough to off himself).
Harry Krishna
2021-03-31 16:11:05 UTC
To prevail in a Republican presidential primary, Pence may have to reinforce his
loyalty to Trump while defending his decisions during the final days of the
administration when the president falsely alleged widespread voter fraud,
contributing to a deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol. If anyone can achieve this
awkward balance, some Republicans say, it's Pence.
I doubt that: Trump's base mostly consider him a traitor, and there's
no other constituency that he appeals to in the least.
Miloch
2021-03-31 18:22:31 UTC
Post by Harry Krishna
Post by Miloch
To prevail in a Republican presidential primary, Pence may have to reinforce his
loyalty to Trump while defending his decisions during the final days of the
administration when the president falsely alleged widespread voter fraud,
contributing to a deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol. If anyone can achieve this
awkward balance, some Republicans say, it's Pence.
I doubt that: Trump's base mostly consider him a traitor, and there's
no other constituency that he appeals to in the least.
From what I know of him, he's had a lifetime goal of being president...couple
that with his Biblical beliefs and he prolly considers it his Christian duty to
at least run for the Republican nomination.

I doubt the rest of the Republicans share his dream!