Kung Fu remake to star Asian feminist SJW
Add Reply
Byker
2021-04-16 17:39:14 UTC
Listen closely and you'll hear David Carradine spin in his grave:

Another "Kung Fu" craze in the making?

Where's Angela Mao when you need her?: https://tinyurl.com/4vy472m8
‘Kung Fu’ Reboot from CW Features Feminist Hero and ‘Social Justice’
Emphasis

DAVID NG

Putting the warrior in social justice warrior, the rebooted version of the
classic TV series Kung Fu debuts Wednesday on the teen-oriented CW network.
In place of the late David Carradine, the woke series features a feminist
heroine and an overarching emphasis on “social justice.”

Show creator Christina M. Kim said it was important to move away from
Carradine’s white, male protagonist.

“In the original series, the lead character was not Asian,” Kim said during
a recent press event, according to a report from Yahoo Entertainment. “For
me, it was important that we change that, and for myself as a woman, I
really wanted a strong female Asian lead who was kicking butt and was the
role model that I wished I had on TV growing up.”

The new Kung Fu focuses on a female Chinese-American law-school dropout who
becomes a martial arts warrior (Olivia Liang). After mastering kung fu, she
returns home to San Francisco to protect her parents and to fight violent
triads.

Liang said the show offers an opportunity to address Asian on-screen
representation.

“I think the timing of our show is really impeccable,” she reportedly said.
“We Asians need to see ourselves represented on the screens, but we need to
be invited into people’s homes who don’t see us in their everyday life, just
to humanize us, normalize seeing us, remind them that we are people just
like they are and that we have a place in this world, and hopefully having
our show in their homes will expand that worldview for them.”

Actress Kheng Hua Tan, who plays her mother, reportedly said the show will
emphasize “social justice” by showing “characters of all ages and all walks
of life trying to work together to do what’s best for the community to
help.”

The original 1972 series starring David Carradine ran for three seasons on
ABC.

http://rlu.ru/2KMpw
Norman Nescio
2021-04-17 12:09:10 UTC
Radames Pera shares on his Facebook page:

“It is obvious, even safe to say that there would not be the “re-imagined”
Kung Fu series on the CW without the original Warner Bros Kung Fu series
(1972-1975) -- and the latter's delayed re-runs which didn't actually begin
until the early '80s.

Contrary to a recent New York Times article, the new series does not “right
the wrongs” of the original, for there were no wrongs to right. Something
about casting David Carradine as a Shaolin priest...When in fact the
character was originally conceived years before its production (by Ed
Spielman) as a Eurasian Man with a Chinese mother and an American father.

When in fact, nearly every episode confronted racism and bigotry head-on
and showed the ignorance and pain such narrow-mindedness springs from and
creates, respectively.

When in fact, the original production put every single Asian
(Korean-/Japanese-/Chinese-American) in Hollywood (and vicinity) in
possession of a Screen Actors Guild card to work...And then some - as many
new card-carrying Guild members were created as a direct result of the
commitment that Producers Jerry Thorpe, Alex Beaton and Herman Miller made
to the community. This list also included Asian Technical Advisors and
Choreographers.

Not too shabby for a Western. So we really need to cool it with the
hair-trigger rhetoric that condemns the “injustice” of David Carradine and
Radames Pera's casting...Who, by the way, brought an incredible subtlety
and creative embodiment of a person walking the Tao and trying to leave as
little a wake in their walk through life.

Which brings me to the last fact: The original series honored Buddhism,
Confucianism and Taoism as nothing before or since in the field of cinema,
let alone television. Scripts were carefully reviewed and submitted for
re-writes, or junked altogether if they didn't carry the philosophical
flame with integrity.

This adherence to principles are what gave the series its moral center.
David Carradine was once quoted as saying that Kung Fu was an “anti-revenge
series”. So the question really becomes, “How well does the new show live
up to that?””