Trump Proposes Fourth of July Parade in D.C., Which Already Exists
2019-02-13 02:07:17 UTC
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/02/trump-proposes-july-4-parade-in-d-c-which-already-exists.html

At the start of a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, the president announced his desire
to for a “Salute to America” parade on the national mall. “We’re thinking about
doing, on the Fourth of July or thereabouts, a parade, a ‘Salute to America’
parade,” said Trump. “I guess it’d be really more of a gathering than a parade.
Perhaps at the Lincoln Memorial … But we’re thinking about doing something that
would, perhaps, become a tradition.” Unfortunately for the president, the
National Park Service is already on top of that tradition, hosting an annual
Fourth of July parade on Constitution Avenue, featuring marching bands, big
balloons, and units from the armed forces – the sort of patriotic adornments
that Trump was not able to secure for his absurdly expensive military parade
scheduled for last year.

During the meeting, Trump said that acting Interior Secretary David Bernhardt
would helm the project, giving him a Fyre-like, six-month window to prepare for
what would be a massive event. But, later in the day, an Interior Department
spokesperson gave CNN a statement that sounded like the type of encouragement a
teacher might give to an ambitious kindergartner who will forget about the plan
tomorrow: “Salute to America is a great idea. We are working diligently to
present the best options to the White House.”

The president’s comment on Tuesday falls into the burgeoning category of “Things
Trump Has Proposed That Already Exist.” In November 2018, upset by his
presentation on CNN, Trump put forward the idea for a “worldwide network to show
the World the way we really are,” apparently unaware of Voice of America, the
government-funded media distributor founded during World War II to do just that.
(To his defense, most of VOA’s media output consumed abroad.) In June 2017,
Trump suggested a policy that bars immigrants from receiving welfare for their
first five years as citizens – a law that has existed since 1996, as the
Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act. In April 2018,
when China upped tariffs on agricultural commodities, Trump proposed subsidies
for farmers, as if government aid to the industry didn’t already number in the
billions. And then there’s the crowd favorite: In February 2018, in a meeting in
which Trump said violent media may be to blame for America’s blight of mass
shootings, he suggested, “maybe they have to put a rating system” for movies and
video games.

*
None of the Above
2019-02-13 08:59:24 UTC
On 12 Feb 2019 18:07:17 -0800, Miloch <***@newsguy.com>
wrote:

Trump does dumb well.

At least he didn't try to push out a Green New Deal with all the
professionalism of the Keystone Cops aka AOC Clown Club. Now, ~that~
was funny!
2019-02-13 15:42:31 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, None of the Above
says...
Post by None of the Above
Trump does dumb well.
At least he didn't try to push out a Green New Deal with all the
professionalism of the Keystone Cops aka AOC Clown Club. Now, ~that~
was funny!
It passed thru the House but will not pass the Republican Senate...that was a
given...but what's really funny (horrifying actually) is that we have a
President who spends 60% of his time (aka "executive time") watching TV (Fox
News)

*
None of the Above
2019-02-14 09:07:47 UTC
says...
Post by None of the Above
Trump does dumb well.
At least he didn't try to push out a Green New Deal with all the
professionalism of the Keystone Cops aka AOC Clown Club. Now, ~that~
was funny!
It passed thru the House but will not pass the Republican Senate...that was a
given...but what's really funny (horrifying actually) is that we have a
President who spends 60% of his time (aka "executive time") watching TV (Fox
News)
Doubtful. But would you rather have him spend ~all~ of his time
'running' the country? Didn't think so...