Wes Craven's Estate Is Now in Charge of Freddy Krueger's Future
2019-09-22 01:53:56 UTC
https://io9.gizmodo.com/wes-cravens-estate-is-now-in-charge-of-freddy-kruegers-1838315127

The A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise has been in limbo for a long time,
following a disastrous 2010 remake that didn’t do Freddy Krueger or his fearful
fans any favors. And while there isn’t any news about the next time we see
Freddy on screen (and we know there’s going to be a next time, some things just
don’t end), we at least know more about the legal situation behind the villain.

As reported by Bloody Disgusting, after 35 years the rights for A Nightmare on
Elm Street in the United States have reverted to estate for the late Wes Craven.
And while these things are always messy and legally fraught, this seems to mean
that the domestic rights for the Freddy franchise are in the hands of the people
in charge of managing Craven’s estate along with it. It is, after all, pretty
impossible to make a Freddy movie without using the character and ideas that
originated in that film.

As Bloody Disgusting explains, though, that doesn’t mean this is suddenly an
auteur-led franchise. Warner Bros/New Line Cinema still holds the international
rights. But it does mean that the company will have to come to the table with
Craven’s estate to make anything that releases domestically, which is, probably,
just about everything and anything.

Does this news foreshadow the long-awaited return of Freddy? Well, if nothing
else, it means he’s on somebody’s mind. Maybe even in their… dreams? (Heh.)

more at
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3584709/the-u-s-rights-to-a-nightmare-on-elm-street-and-freddy-krueger-have-reverted-back-to-wes-cravens-estate/

*
Alan Smithee
2019-09-23 02:01:24 UTC
https://io9.gizmodo.com/wes-cravens-estate-is-now-in-charge-of-freddy-kruegers-1838315127
The A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise has been in limbo for a long time,
following a disastrous 2010 remake that didn’t do Freddy Krueger or his fearful
fans any favors.
Just be glad they didn't remake "Deadly Friend" with Swanson as the
original Buffy-bot! :-D