Trump Offers Lie After Lie Under Lincoln’s Unblinking Gaze
2020-05-04 04:50:41 UTC
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-offers-lie-after-lie-under-lincolns-unblinking-gaze-at-fox-news-coronavirus-town-hall

As the 16th president stared down at the 45th president’s socially distant town
hall, Trump rolled out a series of astounding falsehoods.

Even by President Donald Trump’s historically low standards, the town hall on
reopening the nation’s economy featured some astounding falsehoods on Sunday
night: that he was never warned about the novel coronavirus until late January;
that all 43,000 people who returned to the United States from China after the
implementation of his travel ban were tested; that the American people will have
a vaccine by Christmas.

But perhaps the biggest demonstrable lie told under the unblinking eyes of
Abraham Lincoln was Trump’s repeated insistence that, despite the mounting death
toll from the coronavirus pandemic and the collapsing national economy, “it’s
all working out.”

“I think it’s all working out. You know, the numbers are heading in the right
direction,” Trump said, in response to a question about workers at meat
processing plants being forced back on the job despite fears of spreading the
virus. “It’s all working out. It’s all working out. It’s horrible that we have
to go through it, but it’s all working out.”

The town hall—billed by Fox News as “America Together: Returning to Work” and
broadcast live from the memorial built to honor a president who, earlier this
weekend, Trump said did less for black people than he has—was in many ways a
highlight reel of the president’s inadequate response to a pandemic that has
claimed more than 68,000 lives, including a record 2,909 just on Thursday.

The president casually announced that the final death toll could reach 100,000
people, more than 50 percent higher than he told Americans only a few weeks ago.
He made scientifically dubious claims about the speed and availability of a
potential vaccine—throwing in a vow to “be AIDS-free within eight years.” And he
saved his most emotional answer for a question from a New Jersey guidance
counselor who asked him to “please let go of those behaviors” and
“characteristics that do not serve you” when dealing with the press.

Trump’s response to that request, as best as it can be distilled, included a
rambling list of supposed accomplishments unrelated to the pandemic, including
increased military spending and the formation of the “Space Force,” as well as
the assertion that not even Lincoln ever faced such mistreatment while in
office.

“I am greeted with a hostile press the likes of which no president has ever
seen. The closest would be that gentleman right up there,” Trump said, nodding
at Daniel Chester French’s statue of the 16th president in the temple where, as
Royal Cortissoz’s epitaph states, “the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined
forever.”

“They always said Lincoln, nobody got treated worse than Lincoln,” Trump said.
“I believe I am treated worse.”

In the days since Trump meanderingly suggested that Americans might be able to
cure themselves of COVID-19 by injecting either sunlight or disinfectant into
their bodies, the White House has attempted to shift the focus of its
coronavirus response from public health to an economic message.

But as question after question came in from across the country about the
specifics of Trump’s response to a pandemic that has effectively shuttered the
national economy, Trump primarily responded with boasts about past
accomplishments, mini-tirades about past grievances, or generalities about how
the nation will “win bigger than we’ve ever won before” once the crisis abates.

“You’re gonna get a job where you’re gonna get more money, frankly,” Trump told
a single mom in Alabama who said she was facing eviction and struggled to pay
even the smallest bills. “I’ve got a great feel for this stuff.”

“I want ’em to go back, yeah, I want to get our country back,” Trump said, in
response to a pair of questions from a teacher and student about his plan to
reopen the nation’s schools. “We have to go back. We have to go back. And,
whatever it is.”

Every desired answer, from a timeline for opening restaurants at full capacity
to filling sports stadiums and college graduations, was predicated on Trump’s
enthusiastic prediction that “we are going to have a vaccine by the end of this
year.”

“The doctors would say, ‘Well, you shouldn’t say that.’ I’ll say what I think,”
Trump said, doubling down on a vaccine development schedule that would surpass
even the most hysterically optimistic timelines put forward by epidemiologists
for the rollout of a potential vaccine. “I think we’re going to have a vaccine
much sooner than later… Look, a vaccine has never gone like it’s gone now.”

At one point, Trump marveled at the changes in everyday life as a result of the
pandemic, noting the yawning distance between himself and Fox News anchors Bret
Baier and Martha MacCallum. But that distance, while effective at halting the
spread of the deadly coronavirus, did little to stop the spread of another
pandemic: what World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom
Ghebreyesus has called “an infodemic.”

“We’re not just fighting an epidemic; we’re fighting an infodemic,” Ghebreyesus
told the Munich Security Conference on Feb. 15, the same day as Trump’s
third-to-last all-day visit to one of his golf clubs. “Fake news spreads faster
and more easily than this virus, and is just as dangerous.”

2020-05-04 17:19:47 UTC
[...]
I understand an artist was on hand to capture the reaction to Trump's
"town hall"....

Ubiquitous
2020-05-04 17:47:00 UTC
TROLL-O-METER

5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity
super70s
2020-05-04 22:12:42 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
TROLL-O-METER
5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity
Well it was the second worst performance Lincoln ever attended.
Miloch
2020-05-04 22:22:04 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
TROLL-O-METER
5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity
Well it was the second worst performance Lincoln ever attended.
"Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

*
Rudy Canoza
Ooooohhhhh! That was nasty (but damned funny.)
trotsky
2020-05-05 16:18:28 UTC
              TROLL-O-METER
              5*    6*   *7
         4*                  *8
      3*                        *9
     2*                          *10
    1*              |             *stuporous
    0*             -*-            *catatonic
     *              |\            *comatose
      *               \          *clinical death
       *               \        *biological death
         *             _\/    *demonic apparition
             *     *     *damned for all eternity
Well it was the second worst performance Lincoln ever attended.
Hard to believe Trump's been treated 'worse than Lincoln' when the
latter was shot in the head.
FPP
2020-05-05 20:56:55 UTC
Post by trotsky
Post by super70s
              TROLL-O-METER
              5*    6*   *7
         4*                  *8
      3*                        *9
     2*                          *10
    1*              |             *stuporous
    0*             -*-            *catatonic
     *              |\            *comatose
      *               \          *clinical death
       *               \        *biological death
         *             _\/    *demonic apparition
             *     *     *damned for all eternity
Well it was the second worst performance Lincoln ever attended.
Hard to believe Trump's been treated 'worse than Lincoln' when the
latter was shot in the head.
I'm not sure how we'd even be able to tell if Trump had been...
--
April 30 2020: 1,064,819 cases & 61,680 deaths. (Over 1 MILLION cases.)

Mission Accomplished, Prince Jared:
"We’ve achieved all the different milestones that are needed. The
federal government rose to the challenge, and this is a great success
story." 4/29/20

*Trump was given more than a dozen briefings on the Covfefe-19 threat in
January & February.

"Four is four too many!" - Republicans on Benghazi! (tm)
"There will be a lot of death, unfortunately..." - Donald Trump 4/4/20

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to
be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done...
especially with the fact that we’re going down, not up.” We’re going
very substantially down, not up." 4/26/20

Trump: "When somebody is the president of the United States, the
authority is total.
And that’s the way it’s gotta be. It’s total." - 4/13/20
Trump: "Everything we did was right." - 4/24/20
Trump: "No, I don't take responsibility at all." - 3/13/20
Ubiquitous
2020-05-04 17:19:47 UTC
TROLL-O-METER

5* 6* *7