Rupert Murdoch’s pro-Trump tabloid takes a sharp pivot — and turns on the Trump family
2020-11-07 19:42:08 UTC
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/rupert-murdochs-pro-trump-tabloid-takes-a-sharp-pivot-and-turns-on-the-trump-family/

As President Donald J. Trump continues to use drastic measures to help save his
presidency from Democratic challenger Joe Biden, a pro-Trump newspaper owned by
Rupert Murdoch is changing its tone.

“Last month The New York Post called President Trump ‘an invincible hero, who
not only survived every dirty trick the Democrats threw at him, but the Chinese
virus as well.’ Then it published front-page articles trying to link the
contents of a laptop said to belong to Hunter Biden to his father, Joseph R.
Biden Jr.,” The New York Times‘ Katie Robertson reported Friday. “On Thursday,
in a sudden about-face, Rupert Murdoch’s scrappy tabloid published two articles
with a wildly different tone. One accused the president of making an ‘unfounded
claim that political foes were trying to steal the election.’ The headline on
the other described Donald Trump Jr. as the ‘panic-stricken’ author of a
‘clueless tweet.'”

Top editors at the tabloid reportedly told some staff members this week to be
tougher in their coverage of him, said two Post employees who spoke with
Robertson on the condition of anonymity.

ON THE PODCAST: Election Day 2000... all over again?
Perhaps one of the largest shake-ups heading to the Post is the impending
departure of Australian tabloid head honcho Col Allan, who once donned a Make
America Great Again ball cap in the Post newsroom. Allan made a career at the
Murdoch’s newspapers in both Sydney and New York over the past 40 years. He was
the Post‘s editor-in-chief from 2001-2016 and rejoined the paper as an adviser
in January 2019, just as the Trump presidential campaign was underway.

“The Post has largely supported Trump because the paper shares his vision for
free markets and the opportunity they provide to raise up all people,” Allan
said. “We have also been critical of the president, particularly his tweeting.
My personal view is that history will be very kind to Donald Trump.”

Allan said, “The Post is not perfect. But it articulates a view that is not
obedient to liberal orthodoxy. Therefore it is dangerous. I know where I would
rather be,” he said in an email interview with The New York Post announcing his
planned retirement.

*
kelown
2020-11-08 05:21:47 UTC
“The Post has largely supported Trump because the paper shares his vision for
free markets and the opportunity they provide to raise up all people,”
Allan
said. “We have also been critical of the president, particularly his tweeting.
How edgy.
My personal view is that history will be very kind to Donald Trump.”
How absurd.