Mueller team disputes BuzzFeed report claiming Trump told Cohen to lie
Leroy N. Soetoro
2019-01-20 19:30:05 UTC
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mueller-team-disputes-buzzfeed-report-
claiming-trump-told-cohen-to-lie

Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office on Friday issued an extraordinary
statement disputing a bombshell news report that claimed President Trump
directed Michael Cohen to lie about the timing of discussions over a
proposed Trump Tower project in Moscow.

“BuzzFeed’s description of specific statements to the Special Counsel’s
Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this
office, regarding Michael Cohen’s Congressional testimony are not
accurate,” Peter Carr, a spokesman for Mueller’s office, said.

The statement is remarkable in that Mueller's team rarely issues
statements in response to news stories. But BuzzFeed's story sparked
immense interest from Democrats, who called for renewed investigations and
even suggested the allegations could be a basis for impeachment
proceedings.

Buzzfeed's Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith tweeted after the release of the
statement Friday: "In response to the statement tonight from the Special
Counsel's spokesman: We stand by our reporting and the sources who
informed it, and we urge the Special Counsel to make clear what he's
disputing."

Ben Smith
?
@BuzzFeedBen
spokesman: We stand by our reporting and the sources who informed it, and
we urge the Special Counsel to make clear what he's disputing.

39.2K
5:24 PM - Jan 18, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

18.2K people are talking about this
The statement reiterated an earlier tweet from the Buzzfeed PR Twitter
account, which said the publication "stands by this story 100%."

View image on Twitter

BuzzFeed PR
?
@BuzzFeedPR
Our response to CNN's -- and all other reports -- questioning the
integrity of the reporters behind @BuzzFeedNews' latest bombshell
investigation:

6,064
10:59 AM - Jan 18, 2019
2,499 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

"Remember it was Buzzfeed that released the totally discredited 'Dossier,'
paid for by Crooked Hillary Clinton and the Democrats (as opposition
research), on which the entire Russian probe is based," Trump late Friday
night. "A very sad day for journalism, but a great day for our Country!"

Donald J. Trump
?
@realDonaldTrump
Remember it was Buzzfeed that released the totally discredited “Dossier,”
paid for by Crooked Hillary Clinton and the Democrats (as opposition
research), on which the entire Russian probe is based! A very sad day for
journalism, but a great day for our Country!

140K
7:02 PM - Jan 18, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

62.1K people are talking about this
In a story published Thursday, BuzzFeed cited two unnamed federal law
enforcement officials involved in an investigation on the matter who said
Cohen acknowledged to Mueller’s office that he was instructed by Trump in
2017 to lie to Congress about the now-abandoned real estate deal to build
a Trump Tower in Russia.

The report said Mueller’s office first learned of the directive from
interviews with witnesses from the Trump Organization and internal company
email, text messages and documents.

The report, which was not been confirmed by Fox News, was immediately
dismissed by President Trump’s legal team.

"Any suggestion – from any source – that the president counseled Michael
Cohen to lie is categorically false. Michael Cohen is a convicted criminal
and a liar," Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani said. "... Today’s claims are just
more made-up lies born of Michael Cohen’s malice and desperation, in an
effort to reduce his sentence."

Credibility of BuzzFeed report on Michael Cohen called into questionVideo
After the special counsel's statement on Friday, Giuliani praised
Mueller's team "for correcting the BuzzFeed false story."

"I ask the press to take heed that their hysterical desire to destroy this
President has gone too far," he wrote in a tweet. "They pursued this
without critical analysis all day."

Rudy Giuliani
?
@RudyGiuliani
I commend Bob Mueller’s office for correcting the BuzzFeed false story
that Pres. Trump encouraged Cohen to lie. I ask the press to take heed
that their hysterical desire to destroy this President has gone too far.
They pursued this without critical analysis all day. #FAKENEWS

26.5K
5:39 PM - Jan 18, 2019 · Palm Beach, FL
Twitter Ads info and privacy

11.3K people are talking about this
Earlier Friday, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-
Calif., whose committee is already investigating the president and his
ties to Russia, called the allegations in the report “the most serious to
date.”

“The allegation that the president of the United States may have suborned
perjury before our committee in an effort to curtail the investigation and
cover up his business dealings with Russia is among the most serious to
date,” Schiff said in a statement. “We will do what’s necessary to find
out if it’s true.”

Rep. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., said the House should begin to “establish a
record” of whether Trump “committed high crimes,” repeatedly hinting on
Twitter at the potential for impeachment proceedings.

“Based on the Buzzfeed report and numerous other articles showing
@realDonaldTrump committed Obstruction of Justice and other possible
felonies, it is time for the House Judiciary Committee to start holding
hearings to establish a record of whether @POTUS committed high crimes,”
Lieu tweeted.

Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-Texas, called for Trump to leave office or face
impeachment if the report is accurate.

“If the @BuzzFeed story is true, President Trump must resign or be
impeached,” he said.

The BuzzFeed report claimed Trump directed Cohen to lie in his
congressional testimony, though according to court documents and the
statements Cohen made publicly, he has acknowledged that his actions were
taken out of “loyalty” to the president.

In November, Cohen pleaded guilty to lying to Congress about the Trump
real estate project in Russia as part of Mueller’s investigation into
Russian meddling and potential collusion with Trump campaign associates in
the 2016 presidential election.

Cohen entered into a plea deal with the special counsel to cooperate on
“any and all matters” deemed relevant. The maximum prison sentence for
Cohen is five years, plus fines of up to $250,000.

Rudy Giuliani says any suggestion that the president counseled Michael
Cohen to lie is falseVideo

In court in November, after entering his plea, Cohen acknowledged his work
for Trump as counsel and adviser.

In a separate case brought by federal prosecutors in the Southern District
of New York, Cohen pleaded guilty to breaking campaign finance laws by
helping orchestrate payments to former Playboy model Karen McDougal and
adult film star Stormy Daniels in exchange for their silence about alleged
sexual encounters with the president years before he took office.
Prosecutors and Cohen himself said the former Trump fixer orchestrated
those payments at Trump's direction.

Cohen is slated to appear for public testimony before the House Oversight
and Government Reform Committee on Feb. 7.
truck.

of the Obama presidency.

The World According To Garp.

ObamaCare is a total 100% failure and no lie that can be put forth by its
supporters can dispute that.

Obama jobs, the result of ObamaCare. 12-15 working hours a week at minimum
wage, no benefits and the primary revenue stream for ObamaCare. It can't
be funded with money people don't have, yet liberals lie about how great
it is.

Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion in the eight
years he was in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood queer
liberal democrat donors.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ***@netfront.net ---
Miloch
2019-01-20 20:56:00 UTC
Post by Leroy N. Soetoro
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mueller-team-disputes-buzzfeed-report-
claiming-trump-told-cohen-to-lie
Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office on Friday issued an extraordinary
statement disputing a bombshell news report that claimed President Trump
directed Michael Cohen to lie about the timing of discussions over a
proposed Trump Tower project in Moscow.
“BuzzFeed’s description of specific statements to the Special Counsel’s
Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this
office, regarding Michael Cohen’s Congressional testimony are not
accurate,” Peter Carr, a spokesman for Mueller’s office, said.
BuzzFeed Reporter, Editor Defend Explosive Trump Report

more at
https://splinternews.com/buzzfeed-reporter-editor-defend-explosive-trump-report-1831909936

First, it was the smoking gun everyone had been waiting for. Then, just hours
later, it became fodder for the “fake news” mantra repeated ad nauseam by the
Trump team.

But BuzzFeed continues to stand by its original reporting that President Donald
Trump repeatedly directed his former consigliere Michael Cohen to lie to
Congress about negotiations for a Trump Tower in Moscow while Trump was
campaigning for the presidency in 2016.

That report, published on Thursday and updated the next day, drew tremendous
scrutiny after Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office issued a rare public
statement disputing some of the characterizations in the story by BuzzFeed
reporters Jason Leopold and Anthony Cormier.

“BuzzFeed’s description of specific statements to the Special Counsel’s Office,
and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office,
regarding Michael Cohen’s Congressional testimony are not accurate,” Mueller
spokesman Peter Carr said in the statement.

To give a sense of the extent of the pushback that statement generated, Donald
Trump Jr. has tweeted or retweeted about it over 50 times since Friday. Because
it is so vague, some have interpreted the special counsel’s statement to mean
that BuzzFeed’s entire report is wrong, while others believe that perhaps only a
few details may be mistaken.

The Washington Post followed up by piecing together the moments leading up to
its publication, including exchanges the BuzzFeed team had with Carr. But apart
from acknowledging that Carr wished there had been more communication between
the two sides, the Post’s follow-up did little to assuage the need to know the
answer to the big question: Is it true?

On Sunday, Cormier and BuzzFeed editor-in-chief Ben Smith appeared on CNN to
double down on the accuracy of their reporting, with Cormier insisting, “This
will be borne out.”

“I have further confirmation that this is right, [and] we’re being told to stand
our ground,” Cormier told CNN’s Brian Stelter, host of Reliable Sources. “Our
reporting is going to be borne out to be accurate, and we’re 100% behind it.”

Smith acknowledged that they are still seeking to better understand which parts
of the story Mueller’s office said were mischaracterized. “Obviously, we take
that incredibly seriously,” Smith said.

“We want to learn about the construction of that statement—who was involved,
when, how, where, why,” Cormier added, noting that he and Leopold are continuing
to report the story.

Thursday’s story, titled “President Trump Directed His Attorney Michael Cohen To
Lie To Congress About The Moscow Tower Project,” had been in the works for
months. “We take our time,” Cormier said. “We are very rigorous in our
reporting. We vet and run down every single aspect of this.”

Smith said that “at least three editors” worked on it before publishing.

Stelter then asked about the process of putting the report together, such as why
Leopold’s email to Carr seeking comment was so brief (only a single paragraph),
and why the reporters and editors didn’t wait for more than two sources to
confirm it. Smith replied, “We published because we were very, very confident in
the sourcing of this story.”

It’s also worth noting that there likely were more than two key sources, and
they weren’t mentioned. But Cormier made it clear he wouldn’t discuss his
sources. And as is widely known, Carr rarely comments on details of Mueller’s
investigation.

Later, Cormier made a promise: “This is going to be borne out, Brian. This story
is accurate.”