Gone With the Whim - HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from its library
2020-06-10 13:53:54 UTC
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn - Fox News
Published 9 hours ago

HBO Max pulled the Oscar-winning Civil War epic "Gone With the Wind"
from its library amid heightened racial tensions following the death of
George Floyd.

ScreenRant and The Wall Street Journal were the first to report that the
newly launched streaming service yanked the 1939 film, which takes place
at an Atlanta plantation. Critics in the modern era have criticized
"Gone With the Wind" for its depiction of black people.

The film won eight Oscars including best picture and made history when
Hattie McDaniel became the first black American to win an Oscar for her
performance.

The decision to pull "Gone With the Wind" from the streaming service
sparked some backlash on social media.

"So when are we getting together to burn copies of To Kill A
Mockingbird?" conservative commentator AG Hamilton asked.

"Hattie McDaniel was the first African-American actor to win an Oscar
for her role in 'Gone With the Wind.' It's also her birthday tomorrow.
Way to erase a historic black achievement in the name of social
justice," Daily Caller's Greg Price reacted.

"It really is necessary to buy hard copies of things... Soon everything
digital will be modified beyond recognition or canceled altogether,"
Washington Free Beacon executive editor Brent Scher warned.

"This is idiotic. We should learn from the past, not pretend it never
existed," The Hollywood Reporter's awards columnist Scott Feinberg
tweeted.

A spokesperson for HBO Max explained its decision and its plans to put
the film back on the platform but with added "historical context."

"'Gone With the Wind' is a product of its time and depicts some of the
ethnic and racial prejudices that have, unfortunately, been commonplace
in American society," the statement said. "These racist depictions were
wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up
without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be
irresponsible."

The spokesperson continued, "These depictions are certainly counter to
WarnerMedia's values, so when we return the film to HBO Max, it will
return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of
those very depictions but will be presented as it was originally created
because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices
never existed. If we are to create a more just, equitable, and inclusive
future, we must first acknowledge and underhand our history.

On Monday, "12 Years a Slave" Oscar-winning screenwriter John Ridley
wrote an op-ed in the Los Angeles Times calling on HBO Max to remove
"Gone With the Wind" from its platform.

"It is a film that, when it is not ignoring the horrors of slavery,
pauses only to perpetuate some of the most painful stereotypes of people
of color," Ridley argued.

This comes as Paramount Television announced that it had canceled the
long-running TV series "Cops" four days after the network pulled it from
its schedule.

HBO Max also raised eyebrows when it was announced that "Looney Tunes"
characters like Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam will not have any guns in
the streaming service reboot.

Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News. Follow him on
Twitter @JosephWulfsohn.
Miloch
2020-06-10 14:24:01 UTC
In article <super70s-***@reader02.eternal-september.org>,
super70s says...
Post by super70s
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn - Fox News
Published 9 hours ago
Pretty soon HBO's films will be neither racially black nor white but rather
various shades of gray...dark gray and light gray!!

2020-06-10 17:39:40 UTC
super70s says...
Post by super70s
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn - Fox News
Published 9 hours ago
Pretty soon HBO's films will be neither racially black nor white but rather
various shades of gray...dark gray and light gray!!
GWTW has also shot up to the No. 1 movie on Amazon overnight.

Now's the time for me to get $100 for that GWTW VHS set I paid $2 for at
Goodwill!
Yak
2020-06-10 14:28:41 UTC
[...]
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use
Acme TNT.
Miloch
2020-06-10 15:06:51 UTC
Post by Yak
Post by super70s
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn - Fox News
Published 9 hours ago
Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News. Follow him on
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use
Acme TNT.
Wiley will be able yell out "Boom" and wave his hands for effect...still don't
think it'll fool the roadrunner though.

*
Yak
2020-06-10 15:09:49 UTC
Post by Yak
Post by super70s
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn - Fox News
Published 9 hours ago
Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News. Follow him on
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use
Acme TNT.
Wiley will be able yell out "Boom" and wave his hands for effect...still don't
think it'll fool the roadrunner though.
I pegged Y. Sam to hold his hand in the shape of a gun and go 'bang'!
But, even that's a trigger for the feeble.
BeamMeUpScotty
2020-06-10 15:30:37 UTC
Post by Yak
Post by super70s
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn - Fox News
Published 9 hours ago
Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News. Follow him on
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use
Acme TNT.
Wiley will be able yell out "Boom" and wave his hands for effect...still don't
think it'll fool the roadrunner though.
Censorship of media depicting LEGAL behavior or HISTORY is very Marxist
of the BIG TECH and their Democrat allies.

Where is the censorship of all the VIOLENT MOVIES HOLLYWOOD makes, what
if all of us stop buying any Hollywood violence and quit watching it on
HBO.... or AMAZON
--
That's Karma

*Mama'says*
191 - The governments decision to kill one of us is a concern for all of
us.
Yak
2020-06-11 00:55:24 UTC
Post by BeamMeUpScotty
Post by Miloch
Post by Yak
Post by super70s
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn - Fox News
Published 9 hours ago
Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News. Follow him on
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use
Acme TNT.
Wiley will be able yell out "Boom" and wave his hands for effect...still don't
think it'll fool the roadrunner though.
Censorship of media depicting LEGAL behavior or HISTORY is very Marxist
of the BIG TECH and their Democrat allies.
Where is the censorship of all the VIOLENT MOVIES HOLLYWOOD makes, what
if all of us stop buying any Hollywood violence and quit watching it on
HBO.... or AMAZON
The left tears down statues, recommends you burn your books, cancels
movies and TV shows, and went as far as to take away Elmer Fudd’s
cartoon gun. These lunatics are...well, lunatics.
Byker
2020-06-11 01:11:43 UTC
Post by Yak
The left tears down statues, recommends you burn your books, cancels
movies and TV shows, and went as far as to take away Elmer Fudd’s cartoon
gun. These lunatics are...well, lunatics.
Then the TV industry whines that their rating suck.

Does anyone remember "Speedy Gonzales"
("Arriba, arriba!")?

Kiss him goodbye, courtesy of the wetbacks, like the
Frito Bandito: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frito_Bandito
BTR1701
2020-06-10 16:38:07 UTC
Post by Yak
Post by super70s
HBO Max also raised eyebrows when it was announced that "Looney Tunes"
characters like Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam will not have any guns in
the streaming service reboot.
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use
Acme TNT.
Actually, there is word. The showrunner said dynamite is still
inexplicably allowed and Elmer Fudd will be given a scythe instead of a
gun, because apparently decapitating wrascally wrabbits in a fountain of
blood and gore is a-okay. You just can't shoot them.
Miloch
2020-06-10 17:45:16 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Yak
Post by super70s
HBO Max also raised eyebrows when it was announced that "Looney Tunes"
characters like Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam will not have any guns in
the streaming service reboot.
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use
Acme TNT.
Actually, there is word. The showrunner said dynamite is still
inexplicably allowed and Elmer Fudd will be given a scythe instead of a
gun, because apparently decapitating wrascally wrabbits in a fountain of
blood and gore is a-okay. You just can't shoot them.
Slow poisoning...is that considered A-Okay?...the addition of some projectile
vomiting/heaving into a toilet could add a sufficient amount of violence to keep
the kiddies entertained.

*
Gronk
Yes there was.
Siri Cruise
2020-06-18 05:49:03 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by Yak
Post by super70s
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use Acme
TNT.
Yes there was.
Cartoons are usually for young children. Not many children today
routinely encounter open carry shotguns. Children don't know they
are supposed to be enthralled by fifty year old cliches.
2020-06-18 14:03:58 UTC
In article <chine.bleu-***@reader.eternal-september.org>, Siri
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Gronk
Post by Yak
Post by super70s
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use Acme
TNT.
Yes there was.
Cartoons are usually for young children. Not many children today
routinely encounter open carry shotguns. Children don't know they
are supposed to be enthralled by fifty year old cliches.
I've always maintained that cartoons are written by adults FOR adults...some of
the innuendo seemed a little to sophisticated for kids.

*
Gronk
2020-06-23 04:57:18 UTC
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Gronk
Post by Yak
Post by super70s
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use Acme
TNT.
Yes there was.
Cartoons are usually for young children. Not many children today
routinely encounter open carry shotguns. Children don't know they
are supposed to be enthralled by fifty year old cliches.
I've always maintained that cartoons are written by adults FOR adults...some of
the innuendo seemed a little to sophisticated for kids.
If you're referring to the ones that were shown in theatres, that's not
far off the mark. They
had gags for all ages.
Miloch
2020-06-23 05:12:43 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by Miloch
Cruise says...
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Gronk
Post by Yak
Post by super70s
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam no longer have guns in new 'Looney Tunes
Cartoons.' No word on whether Wyle E. Coyote will be permitted to use Acme
TNT.
Yes there was.
Cartoons are usually for young children. Not many children today
routinely encounter open carry shotguns. Children don't know they
are supposed to be enthralled by fifty year old cliches.
I've always maintained that cartoons are written by adults FOR adults...some of
the innuendo seemed a little to sophisticated for kids.
If you're referring to the ones that were shown in theatres, that's not
far off the mark. They
had gags for all ages.
No...I'm referring to the ones on Sat mornings...kids might laugh because of the
slap-stick visuals...but the dialog sometimes seemed a little to sophisticated
for an 8 year old.

2020-06-10 16:05:55 UTC
In article
Post by super70s
newly launched streaming service yanked the 1939 film, which takes place
1939? Isn't it public domain yet?
Josh Rosenbluth
2020-06-10 16:19:32 UTC
In article
Post by super70s
newly launched streaming service yanked the 1939 film, which takes place
1939? Isn't it public domain yet?
Apparently, no.

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-movie-%E2%80%9CGone-With-the-Wind%E2%80%9D-in-the-public-domain-now

Gone With the Wind deserves the award for most overrated movie ever. And
it's not even a close contest. It swept the Oscars and has been
consistently rated among the best movies of all time. To me, it is a bad
soap opera with ridiculous dialogue and mediocre acting from Leigh.

I considered a major accomplishment of my perseverance that I didn't
walk out early.
Siri Cruise
2020-06-10 23:45:43 UTC
Post by Josh Rosenbluth
Post by Miloch
In article
Post by super70s
newly launched streaming service yanked the 1939 film, which takes place
1939? Isn't it public domain yet?
Apparently, no.
https://www.quora.com/Is-the-movie-%E2%80%9CGone-With-the-Wind%E2%80%9D-in-the
-public-domain-now
Gone With the Wind deserves the award for most overrated movie ever. And
it's not even a close contest. It swept the Oscars and has been
consistently rated among the best movies of all time. To me, it is a bad
soap opera with ridiculous dialogue and mediocre acting from Leigh.
I considered a major accomplishment of my perseverance that I didn't
walk out early.
I saw a bit on the telly and found it had too much of the stupid
to continue. Carol Burnett did it better.
Ant
2020-06-11 02:06:48 UTC
https://www.darkhorizons.com/gone-with-the-wind-disc-sales-skyrocket/

I should my used DVD. ;)
Post by super70s
[...]
This ant finally went out far after 2 months and 23 days / 12 weeks / 84 days / 0.23 years. :O ..!.. *isms, sins, devil, illness (e.g., COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), etc.
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /
/ /\ /\ \ http://antfarm.ma.cx. Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )
Byker
2020-06-11 02:57:10 UTC
Post by Ant
https://www.darkhorizons.com/gone-with-the-wind-disc-sales-skyrocket/
I should my used DVD. ;)
Hollywood should probably re-issue "Mandingo": https://tinyurl.com/y8arjsx4

"Parents" magazine movie reviewer Judith Ripp described the flick as a "foul
melodrama filled with unspeakable atrocities." THAT was an understatement...
FPP
2020-06-12 07:04:17 UTC
HBO Max pulls 'Gone With the Wind' from library amid racial tensions
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn - Fox News
Published 9 hours ago
HBO Max pulled the Oscar-winning Civil War epic "Gone With the Wind"
from its library amid heightened racial tensions following the death of
George Floyd.
ScreenRant and The Wall Street Journal were the first to report that the
newly launched streaming service yanked the 1939 film, which takes place
at an Atlanta plantation. Critics in the modern era have criticized
"Gone With the Wind" for its depiction of black people.
The film won eight Oscars including best picture and made history when
Hattie McDaniel became the first black American to win an Oscar for her
performance.
The decision to pull "Gone With the Wind" from the streaming service
sparked some backlash on social media.
For fuck's sake... they're just pulling it back TEMPORARILY, so they can
add a disclaimer:

"In fact, HBO Max has said the withdrawal of "Gone With the Wind" is
temporary, and the service plans to bring the film back soon with an
introductory video offering historical context. (And in the meantime,
those who wish to watch it may do so through Amazon, Google Play,
iTunes, YouTube and other streaming services.)"

Conservatives... always ready to play 1st Amendment Martyr.
--
"Leaders who have hidden in a bunker and gassed their own citizens
include Saddam Hussein, Adolf Hitler and Donald [Bunker Bitch] Trump." -

This is Fascism, in America. In 2020 - courtesy of Donald 'the Bunker
Bitch' Trump.

Trump to police: "When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of
a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in, rough, I said, please don't
be too nice."

"When you guys put somebody in the car and you're protecting their head,
you know, the way you put their hand over, like, don't hit their head
and they've just killed somebody. Don't hit their head. I said, you can
take the hand away, okay?"

Trump: "No, I don't take responsibility at all." - 3/13/20
Byker
2020-06-12 17:30:20 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by super70s
The decision to pull "Gone With the Wind" from the streaming service
sparked some backlash on social media.
For fuck's sake... they're just pulling it back TEMPORARILY, so they can
"Mandingo" (1975) was far more fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22Mandingo%22+%281975%29+
BTR1701
2020-06-22 21:59:33 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by super70s
[...]
I'm still waiting for them to pull down the Spike Lee movies that use
offensive stereotypes to depict Jews, then put them back up with an
unskippable disclaimer explaining how hateful they are.

I suspect I'll be waiting for a long time. Lee is one of the blessed
acolytes who is allowed to say anything hateful that he wants without
consequence because he's a member of the woke choir of angels.
FPP
2020-06-22 22:24:36 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by super70s
[...]
"Allowed", like in the 1st Amendment? Yeah, he's pretty uppity, ain't
he? Amirite!
--
"If you add up the fake hair, the bronzer, and the state-perpetrated
racist violence, the man who calls himself our leader may as well be an

BTR1701
2020-06-22 22:33:59 UTC
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by super70s
[...]
No, like in the woke mob. They're running things these days, or hadn't
you noticed?
FPP
2020-06-22 22:46:26 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by super70s
[...]
No, I hadn't. I haven't seen any woke mobs telling me what to do, like you.
Or maybe I don't get enough Twitter time.

Or maybe you're just a gullible fucking idiot who believes whatever he's
told.

FPP
2020-06-22 22:51:11 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by BTR1701
Post by FPP
Post by super70s
[...]
Listening to all those neck-bearded hipsters again, are we?

I thought you manly, strongly-strong, gun toting free thinking
conservatives were independent thinkers? But you let a bunch of
soy-bois tell you what to do?

What a bunch of pussies! Better go and change those shorts, Missy!