Megachurch pastor, 62, is placed on leave after allowing volunteer with 'obsessive sexual feelings' for children...
2020-02-06 20:20:18 UTC
...to work in unsupervised roles as 'a method of treatment'

more at
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7974473/Megachurch-pastor-placed-leave-handling-child-obsessed-volunteer.html

*John Ortberg, senior pastor at Menlo Church in the Bay Area, was placed on
leave in November 2019

*Ortberg came under fire for his handling of a volunteer who came to him in July
2018 to confide a sexual attraction to children

*Instead of consulting church's elder board, Ortberg kept the matter a secret
and encouraged volunteer to continue working with children

*He allegedly allowed the volunteer to accompany minors on overnight trips as a
method of treatment for sexual obsession with kids

*Ortberg's estranged transgender son, Slate magazine writer Daniel Lavery,
learned of the situation in November and reported his father to the board

The leader of a 4,000-member megachurch in California's Bay Area was placed on
leave after his own son revealed that the influential pastor had allowed a
church volunteer with a sexual attraction to children to continue working and
traveling with minors unsupervised.

Writer Daniel Lavery, the estranged son of Menlo Church senior pastor John
Ortberg, further claimed that not only had his father failed to stop the
volunteer from working with children, he even encouraged the person to accompany
minors on trips as a method of treatment of their sexual obsession.

Ortberg, 62, a married father-of-three, has not delivered a sermon since last
November and is currently said to be undergoing a process of 'restoration' after
consulting with the church's Elder Board, reported The Mercury News.

There have been no reports of criminal behavior involving the unnamed volunteer,
but Ortberg's handling of the situation has come under fire and sparked an
internal investigation.

In late January, Beth Seabolt, chair of the Menlo Church elder board, sent an
email to the congregation explaining that in July 2018, a volunteer came to
Ortberg and shared with him 'an unwanted thought pattern of attraction to
minors,' as The Christian Post reported.

That person assured the pastor and prolific Christian author that he or she had
not acted on the sexual desire, and Ortberg 'provided prayers and referrals for
counselling'.

But instead of consulting other church leaders about the situation, Ortberg
allowed the volunteer to carry on working in the community, including with
minors.

The matter came to light 18 months later, when the volunteer reached out to
Ortberg's estranged transgender son, Slate magazine columnist Daniel Lavery, and
told him that 'for most of their life, they had experienced obsessive sexual
feelings about young children.'

Lavery said in a statement he released on Twitter on Sunday that the church
volunteer also spoke to him about seeking out unsupervised volunteer roles with
children as a 'method of treatment' for their unhealthy attraction, including
volunteer work that involved overnight travel with children.

The person told Lavery that they had never consulted a therapist about this
treatment plan, but had shared it with Ortberg and his wife, Nancy, in July
2018.

'John Ortberg has continually encouraged this person in their pursuit of
unsupervised work with children,' Lavery stated.

The author and magazine writer went on to say that he and his wife Grace, who is
a transgender woman, confronted Ortberg about the volunteer and expressed their
'gravest reservations about the scheme.'

The pastor allegedly responded to his son by likening pedophilia to
homosexuality, stressing the need to keep the entire matter a secret, and
arguing that Lavery and his wife were not in the position to offer an
alternative form of treatment for sexual attraction to children 'because of our
transitions'.

Lavery said when he asked his father whether the volunteer had stopped
accompanying children on overnight trips, the pastor replied, 'I'm not sure.'

On November 18, Lavery said he contacted the volunteer and gave them a list of
therapists specializing in counselling pedophiles. He also encouraged the person
to stop working with children, which he said they did.

Next, Lavery and his wife sent a letter to Orberg urging him to come clean about
the matter to church elders.

'He did not,' Lavety said.

Three days later, Daniel and Grace Lavery reported his father to the leaders of
Menlo Church, resulting in his Ortberg's suspension from pastoral duties the
very next day.

'I have real compassion for anyone trying to treat sexual compulsions with
accountability and oversight,' Lavery wrote. 'But the situation they had created
was risky, unsafe and unsustainable.'

Lavery concluded by stating that this affair has been devastating to him and has
broken 'the trust that once exited between myself and the Ortberg family.'

Seabolt, the elder board chair, wrote in her letter to the congregation that as
soon as the church board learned of the situation, they retained an independent
investigator, who found no misconduct in the parish.

'Nevertheless, the investigation showed John exhibited poor judgment that was
inconsistent with his responsibilities as Senior Pastor,' Seabolt said.

Menlo Church's board has made statements saying the volunteer in question has
not worked at any church functions since the issue was first brought to light.

Officials also stressed that all church volunteers undergo background checks and
are not allowed to be alone with a child.

Following a three-month suspension, Ortberg returned to work. While undergoing
'restoration' and 'seeking to rebuild trust,' the veteran clergyman will only be
working internally with staff and the elder board, not delivering sermons to the
congregation.

Ortberg did address the community from the pulpit in late January to apologize
for making a decision he 'should not have made' concerning the volunteer, and
which 'lacked transparency, collaboration and wisdom.'

'I am so very sorry,' the embattled pastor continued. 'I am sorry I failed to do
the right thing, and I'm sorry for the weight and burden this has created for
some of you.'

*
Michael Christ
2020-02-06 21:57:51 UTC
[...]
Oh dear, sinners judging sinners, it is such a necessary thing but
somebody's got to do it.

Michael Christ
--
Rom 5:8  But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were
yet sinners, Christ died for us.

"If God is not first in everything He is not first in anything."
j***@gmail.com
2020-05-14 05:34:01 UTC
Guess the perp wasn't as clever as he thought when his diary thoughts we decrypted from this:
Must have been caught when this was decrypted
"Encrypted-'Any You ask Me!"
https://www.academia.edu/43043333/Encrypted-Any_You_ask_Me_

3ZB H4436 4316

These alphas and numerics are the base of this code
B I D F R X Z I O M A E U E H K
3 9 16 21 29 36 43 44 51 53 64
Contact this OP for the code key

3ZB H4436 4316 943433 3A53IEAM16_UM3I 2953 29I 3D4464I M16E 5153IZ 3ZB 29 I16XX H4464 IM3I 943433 3A53IEAM16_53M16 53I29E53 IM2953 43635316 44F O29I3X29IH UM299M 2953 53649M 3Z 29ZF64532944Z IM3I 2953 3Z 3FF29E433I2944Z 44F D1629Z21 Z44U 29Z IM16 AE165316ZI AEB 29I 2953 53649M 3 5364E2116 IME446421M4464I 43H FX1653M IM3I 29I 2129O1653 4316 3 E165344LO16 943433 3 A64EA445316 I44 IM2953 43444316ZI AEB 53M16 2953 3O3I3E 44F IM445316 16E22I299 31653IM16I29953 IM3I 2129O1653 3 O29I3X29K29Z21 A64X5316 U29IM29Z 43H FE34316 AEB

2953 29I 291MI 534329X16 44F M16E53 IM3I 2953 5344 29Z21E3I293I29Z21XH 943433
3ZB H4436 4316 AEBAEBAEB 44E 2953 29I IM16 53M3A16 44F 434464IM IM3I M353 43H X29A53 29Z 3 8165329E446453 X44Z2129Z21 I44 I44649M 3ZB I353I16 M16E F64XX X29A53 5153IZ

44E 2953 29I 53444316IM28Z21 43445316 D35316 IM3I BE29O1653 IM2953 4344I29O3I2944Z 29Z 4316 353 29 531616 IM16 944ZI4464R53 44F M14E DE16A53I AE44I63B29Z21 4464I IME446421MH M16E 44O16E 53M29EI 5153IZ
44E 2953 29I 4344E16 IM3Z 29_3A53IEAM16__43 F1616X29Z21 5153IZ
44E 2953 29I M16E AE44R169IZ21 3 51IZ 9444316 M29IM16E 944443 433Z EPX 51IZ B53M X444436 53M16 M353 44Z M16E 16H1653 3ZB 44Z M13E X29A53

44E 9353 29I IM3I X4436 44F O63XZ16E3D29X29IH IM3I 53A16336 536453916AI29D92X29IH 29Z UM299M 53M16 U4464XB 5364996443D 29Z IM16 M163I 44F O44X64ZI3EH 44E 29ZO44X64ZI3EH 3E4464533X AEB TM3I X444436 IM3I 2953 5344 F353929Z3I29Z21 3ZB 5344 29ZIE29216429Z21 943433 353 UM3I 3 4329E32116 44E BE16343 U4464XB D16 3ZB M3O16 4316 29I9M29Z21 I44 432535332116 43H Z64I 5364936 16O16Z F64EIM16E AEB
29 F29ZB 43H5316XF U3ZIZ21 I44 16Z21321216 IM4453 F64XX X29A53 3ZB DE16353I53 29Z IM1629E F64XX Z33616B 3O329X3D29X29IH I44 43`6 29Z IM16 3XX64E16 44F IM1629E F54XX AE44I64B29Z21 B16X2921MI

3ZB AEBAEBAEB F29Z3XXH I44 16ZR44H IM16 94443433I2944Z53 44F M16E 5344FI D44BH_3A53IAM16_53 D1629Z21 39Z IM16 IME441653 44F 29F53 E16916AI29O29IH I44 IM16 A16Z16IE3I29Z21 29ZI2943339H 53N16 F1616X53 I39I29X16XH 3ZB 164344I2944Z3XXH 29Z IM2953 64ZE1653IEA29Z16B 944ZB29I2944Z 44F I44EE29B 1643442944Z 44F 43H 944A64X5329O16 B165329E1653 B16X29O16E16B 29ZI44 M16E AEB
H4464e “$2.40-USD donation” 29z 3aae169293i2944z f44e im2953 u44e36 2953 21ea929446453xh 39916ai16d 3i im2953 x29z36->https://www.paypal.me/j2e595