Oprah, Streisand and the White Mike
PUSSSYKATT
2003-10-20 13:24:53 UTC
FOX NEWS/Roger Friedman

It would be wrong of me not to say anything about Oprah Winfrey's nutty hour
with Barbra Streisand last week.

If you missed it, Streisand wore a white wool cowl-neck sweater that came up
just over her chin. It looked like the collar from a Rembrandt painting. I
don't know if she was hiding twaddle, or the weapons of mass destruction, or
both.

The thing about Barbra is, and I'm not really a fan, that her voice is
perfection. When she sang — live, no lip-synching, to a backing track — she
had the magic that has made her so unbelievably popular.

On the other hand: She calls Deepak Chopra by his first name, and calls him
when the flowers on her terrace mysteriously change color. She is told, and
believes, she has willed this to happen. She is absorbed by the death of a
9-year-old dog, for whom she held a funeral, but was not too aggrieved that she
didn't run out and get a clone-like replacement.

Winfrey, who herself straddles a fine line between empathy with her audience
and her desire to be a megastar living in Bel Air, was incredulous. When
Streisand finished singing, Oprah said from the audience, "I've owned this
studio for fifteen years and I've never seen a white microphone."

The singer replied she had had it sprayed white so it would match her sweater
and the dog (the new one was brought to her on stage) and wouldn't detract from
her performance.

Now that, my friends, is a diva.

SEND EMAIL TO ***@aol.com

AGC FAQ and FUN STUFF
http://www.dreamwater.org/agc/MAINPAGES/AGCFAQ.html
BLIND ITEM REHASH:
http://www.dreamwater.org/agc/BLINDITEMS/MAINPAGE.html
Big J
2003-10-20 14:20:06 UTC
Post by PUSSSYKATT
FOX NEWS/Roger Friedman
It would be wrong of me not to say anything about Oprah Winfrey's nutty
hour with Barbra Streisand last week.
<snip descriptions of weird behaivor>
Post by PUSSSYKATT
Winfrey, who herself straddles a fine line between empathy with her
audience and her desire to be a megastar living in Bel Air, was
incredulous. When Streisand finished singing, Oprah said from the
audience, "I've owned this studio for fifteen years and I've never seen
a white microphone."
The singer replied she had had it sprayed white so it would match her
sweater and the dog (the new one was brought to her on stage) and
wouldn't detract from her performance.
Now that, my friends, is a diva.
I'm not defending Babs, but IMO that isn't a diva. A diva demands of
everyone around her, but not herself. Babs seems to demand perfection from
herself, which is behind her fear of performing (IMO) because she *has* to
be perfect.

A diva would have screamed and hollered at the idiots who gave her a
microphone that destroyed her ensemble, because they should have known. Babs
just had it painted. A diva like J-Lo would have made demands to have the
dressing room white, the toilet seat white mink, etc.

IOW, Babs seems like a control freak and a neurotic, not a diva.

Big J

-----
Marianna Trench
2003-10-20 16:07:04 UTC
Post by PUSSSYKATT
[...]
hmm. Well, JMO, but I think you've got "bitch" and "diva" confused. The
screaming demands and fit-pitching because one's toilet seat isn't mink is just
bitchy. Not that bitch and diva are mutually exclusive. JLo is just a bitchy
diva wannabe, while Babs is the real deal. I don't like her much myself, but
I'm impressed that she just painted the damn thing without making a big fuss
about it.

Marianna

"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity"
-Thomas Sowell
Smoot
2003-10-20 19:52:04 UTC
Post by Marianna Trench
hmm. Well, JMO, but I think you've got "bitch" and "diva" confused. The
screaming demands and fit-pitching because one's toilet seat isn't mink is just
bitchy. Not that bitch and diva are mutually exclusive. JLo is just a bitchy
diva wannabe, while Babs is the real deal. I don't like her much myself, but
I'm impressed that she just painted the damn thing without making a big fuss
about it.
Bravo! You articulated the difference between the two perfectly.

Rebecca
Big J
2003-10-20 23:15:01 UTC
Post by Smoot
Post by Marianna Trench
hmm. Well, JMO, but I think you've got "bitch" and "diva" confused. The
screaming demands and fit-pitching because one's toilet seat isn't mink
is just bitchy. Not that bitch and diva are mutually exclusive. JLo is
just a bitchy diva wannabe, while Babs is the real deal. I don't like
her much myself, but I'm impressed that she just painted the damn thing
without making a big fuss about it.
Bravo! You articulated the difference between the two perfectly.
Rebecca
I really don't agree - but I also realize that there aren't agreed-on
definitions of either term. So we may indeed be disagreeing on definitions.

IMO and IME, diva applies to one who makes demands of others and doesn't
make them of herself. She expects to be indulged. Nothing is too good for
her and damn you if you don't already know that. But should she show her
less-than-perfect side, well you better not see it!

Now Babs may indeed be like that. I don't know and I don't know her. But the
behavior described in the article seems more like a) being a perfectionist
b) being a control freak and c) being so rich you're out of touch w/ the
real world.

Divas *relish* the spotlight, they don't have a fear of performing. Divas
don't wear turtleneck sweaters, they wear attention-getting clothes like
plunging necklines or bold patterns or ostentatious jewelry.

If a diva wanted a white microphone, she wouldn't deign to go get it painted
herself. She'd have one of her people do it - one from her posse, her hoards
of hundreds. According to the note, Babs went behind the scens and had it
painted. A diva would have made sure that *everyone* knew about the
horrific and huge moral failure of giving her a black microphone. If she ws
rich like Babs, she'd have bought a diamond one and made a big deal of
presenting it to Oprah. Mere white *paint* wouldn't have been good enough.

I'm not a Babs fan nor a defender of hers. It just doesn't seem like diva
behavior to me. And, let me add...<pulling rank here> as both a former opera
singer and a gay man who's been in several gay choruses, I've seen WAY lots
more diva behavior than you have.<g>

Big J
(OK, I'll make it easy. Diva=Princess Diva wannabe=LCM Bitch=Bigolhomo)
-----
Marianna Trench
2003-10-21 23:38:39 UTC
(schnippity doodahh)
[...]
Ok. I stand corrected, and I agree you're a much better authority on it. :)
(OK, I'll make it easy. Diva=Princess Diva wannabe=LCM Bitch=Bigolhomo)
-----
Whoaaa! Bitchfight backstage, everyone!
(hehehe...)

-Thomas Sowell
Lady Taker
2003-10-22 00:40:33 UTC
Post by Big J
(OK, I'll make it easy. Diva=Princess Diva wannabe=LCM Bitch=Bigolhomo)
-----
Whoaaa! Bitchfight backstage, everyone!
(hehehe...)
500 quatros on Big J.

Giselle (it's gonna be messy, folks, messy)
Big J
2003-10-22 00:48:46 UTC
Post by Lady Taker
Post by Marianna Trench
Post by Big J
I'm not a Babs fan nor a defender of hers. It just doesn't seem like
diva behavior to me. And, let me add...<pulling rank here> as both a
former opera singer and a gay man who's been in several gay choruses,
I've seen WAY lots more diva behavior than you have.<g>
Big J
-----
Ok. I stand corrected, and I agree you're a much better authority on
it.
:)
Post by Marianna Trench
Post by Big J
(OK, I'll make it easy. Diva=Princess Diva wannabe=LCM
Bitch=Bigolhomo) -----
Whoaaa! Bitchfight backstage, everyone!
(hehehe...)
500 quatros on Big J.
Giselle (it's gonna be messy, folks, messy)
I'm already in training. Been doing 500 neck grinds a day. And practicing my
double reverse, behind-the-back haymaker bitchslap. Plus keeping a strict
training table regimen of Marlboros, prok rinds and Jack Daniels.

Big J

-----
E Varden
2003-10-21 05:29:46 UTC
Post by Big J
Post by PUSSSYKATT
Now that, my friends, is a diva.
I'm not defending Babs, but IMO that isn't a diva. A diva demands of
everyone around her, but not herself. Babs seems to demand perfection from
herself, which is behind her fear of performing (IMO) because she *has* to
be perfect.
A diva would have screamed and hollered at the idiots who gave her a
microphone that destroyed her ensemble, because they should have known. Babs
just had it painted. A diva like J-Lo would have made demands to have the
dressing room white, the toilet seat white mink, etc.
IOW, Babs seems like a control freak and a neurotic, not a diva.
You're suggesting a difference?

Kathleen Battle has been a "dive" i.e APITA.

Babs (almost slways a PITA, other than her voice!)

DIva's galore irtritate us; and we still delight in their singing.

Pe
Marianna Trench
2003-10-20 19:22:23 UTC
Post by E Varden
Post by Big J
just had it painted. A diva like J-Lo would have made demands to have the
dressing room white, the toilet seat white mink, etc.
IOW, Babs seems like a control freak and a neurotic, not a diva.
You're suggesting a difference?
Kathleen Battle has been a "dive" i.e APITA.
Babs (almost slways a PITA, other than her voice!)
DIva's galore irtritate us; and we still delight in their singing.
Pe
Pe, I do enjoy your posts, but you need to either activate your spellchecker or
deactivate your gin-trolley. Please. I'm saying it with love, or what passes
for it on Usenet.

-Thomas Sowell
l***@webtv.net
2003-10-21 14:43:15 UTC
The turtleneck sweater was to keep her throat warm in the
air-conditioned studio, especially as she was only singing one song with
no time to "warm up". Opera singers wear scarves year round for the
same reason, wards off chills. As to the flowers changing color
methinks her assistant changed them while she was out without telling
her :) The thing with the dog was a bit "twee" as the british would
say: a tad too precious. Still when she starts to sing everything else
ceases to matter, that performance was amazing considering she is in her
60s now. Who else sounds that good at age 62? I mean there's no
wobble, the sound is pure, the vocal line flawless. All divas are a
bit nutty by the way, and Barbra was known for being 'kooky" in her
younger days. And I like "kooky", so sue me! :)
mc
2003-10-21 18:17:38 UTC
Post by l***@webtv.net
The turtleneck sweater was to keep her throat warm in the
air-conditioned studio, especially as she was only singing one song with
no time to "warm up". Opera singers wear scarves year round for the
same reason, wards off chills. As to the flowers changing color
methinks her assistant changed them while she was out without telling
her :) The thing with the dog was a bit "twee" as the british would
say: a tad too precious. Still when she starts to sing everything else
ceases to matter, that performance was amazing considering she is in her
60s now. Who else sounds that good at age 62? I mean there's no
wobble, the sound is pure, the vocal line flawless. All divas are a
bit nutty by the way, and Barbra was known for being 'kooky" in her
younger days. And I like "kooky", so sue me! :)
ITA, she tends to fascinate me, not bug me. Name me in the lawsuit! ;p

MC
Keeper of Giovanni Ribisi and Dennis Farina!
NY to FL Guy
2003-10-21 18:38:10 UTC
Post by mc
ITA, she tends to fascinate me, not bug me. Name me in the lawsuit! ;p
MC
Keeper of Giovanni Ribisi and Dennis Farina!
She is entitled to her opinion, she worked hard all her life. She doesn't have
to make charitable donations, but she does. And she's a big democrate. I
personally always liked her.
Michele317
2003-10-20 21:25:35 UTC
Post by PUSSSYKATT
[...]
oh, i don't know.... i can't stand babs, never could, but nothing here sounds
all that diva-ish to me. the only questionable item is the microphone, and
unless she ordered 6 crew people to scour the city for a white mic and refused
to go on without one, i'd chalk this all up to being neurotic and insecure.
The Insider!
2003-10-21 02:04:00 UTC
There is nothing wrong, repeat, nothing wrong with a painting a
microphone white to match a sweater. But there are people who think
they can will flowers to change color...Babs has waaaay too much time
on her hands these days and Jimbo thinks so too...he would like her to
get her fat ass back to work. That's inside info.
Dennis B
2003-10-21 14:10:47 UTC
Post by The Insider!
There is nothing wrong, repeat, nothing wrong with a painting a
microphone white to match a sweater. But there are people who think
they can will flowers to change color...Babs has waaaay too much time
on her hands these days and Jimbo thinks so too...he would like her to
get her fat ass back to work. That's inside info.
George Harrison painted his Stratocaster guitar psychedelic colors
when the Beatles performed "All You Need is Love" for live TV
telecast.
buzz hauser
2003-10-21 20:23:08 UTC
Post by The Insider!
There is nothing wrong, repeat, nothing wrong with a painting a
microphone white to match a sweater. Babs has waaaay too much time
on her hands these days and Jimbo thinks so too...he would like her to
get her fat ass back to work. That's inside info.
****
Barbra doesn't have a fat ass. :-) She'd never allow herself to get
one!
And all this other talk, re: diva, microphones, flowers, etc....I just
think that Barbra is so wealthy, she's done almost everything she's
wanted to accomplish in her life........she's bored. Plain and
simple. When you've done almost EVERYthing, what's left? A white
microphone! :-)

Buzz,
who loves Babs regardless of ANYthing....
****
CT Guy 102
2003-10-22 01:22:40 UTC
Babs has waaaay too much time on her hands these days and Jimbo thinks so
too...he would like her to get her fat ass back to work. That's inside info.
She does not handle down time too well, but unfortunately very few people will
work with her.
HudsonGrl
2003-10-22 01:27:40 UTC
Subject: Re: Oprah, Streisand and the White Mike
Date: 10/21/2003 8:22 PM Central Standard Time
She does not handle down time too well, but unfortunately very few people will
work with her.
gee...i wonder why? <g>

Hudson