NYT suggests Don Jr's new book Triggered has topped its Bestseller List through 'BULK BUYING'
2019-11-14 23:13:57 UTC
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7686889/Trump-Jr-s-book-No-1-bestseller-edge.html

*A dagger on the NYT appears next to the listing, indicating sales were 'bulk'

•A source for Don Jr. called the claims 'silly' and 'another excuse to pick at
him'

•Triggered tops the hardcover nonfiction list that will go to print November 24

•President Donald Trump tweeted his congratulations to his son, saying 'wow'

•Don Jr.'s girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle also tweeted to say she was 'proud'

•She later retweeted someone defending the sales as '#1 on merit'

•A spokesman for the Republican National Committee said they have offered
'Triggered' as a fundraising incentive, a common practice for political books

Donald Trump Jr.'s inner circle has slammed The New York Times for suggesting
his new book 'Triggered' topped the Bestseller List through 'bulk buying.'

A source close to the president's son told DailyMail.com his books are massively
outselling his closest rivals and claims the move is a ploy by the 'Democrats
and their friends in the media'.

A dagger symbol appears next to the listing for 'Triggered: How the Left Thrives
on Hate and Wants to Silence Us', indicating that some of the sales were 'bulk
purchases'.

That often means that someone bought a substantial number of copies. The New
York Times says 'rankings reflect unit sales reported on a confidential basis by
vendors'.

A source close to Don Jr. told DailyMail.com the dagger on the listing
'ridiculous', 'silly' and 'another excuse to pick at him'.

They added: 'Don sold more books in the last week than the number 2 and 3
nonfictions books on the New York Times list combined. You could erase all of
the books sold thru the RNC [Republican National Committee] and that would still
be a fact.

'If Don’s book was only successful because of so-called “bulk buys” as Democrats
and their friends in the media claim, how do they square that with the fact that
he also topped Amazon’s non-fiction charts this past week for books currently
available and held multiple book signings across the country that sold 1000+
books a piece.'

A spokesman for the Republican National Committee, Steve Guest, said Thursday
that the RNC has been offering 'Triggered' as a fundraising incentive, a common
practice for political books.

Guest said copies were bought 'to keep up with demand,' not in a 'large bulk
purchase.'

DailyMail.com contacted a representative The New York Times for comment on the
listing and what exactly it means for numbers sold. They pointed us to the
'About the Best Sellers' methodology page on their website.

The 'bulk buying' on the Bestseller List is indicated with a dagger next to the
title. It does not say where the bulk buying has come from and how many books
have been sold.

It comes after Don Jr.'s girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle rushed to defend the
sales.

Former Fox News journalist Guilfoyle retweeted Republican political strategist
Andrew Surabian, who argued: 'Triggered was the top non-fiction book out this
week on the Amazon charts & Don did multiple book signings where he sold 1000+
books a piece.

'Bookscan data will show he sold more books than the #2 & #3 books combined.
Media/Dems want to pretend otherwise, but he was #1 on merit.'

'Triggered' tops the hardcover nonfiction list that will appear in the November
24 edition of the Times.

It currently ranks fourth on Amazon's bestseller list and at number 44 in Barnes
& Noble's Top 100 list.

Among those celebrating was President Donald Trump, who has previously labeled
The New York Times 'fake news' and 'failing'.

Trump tweeted: 'Wow! Was just told that my sonŽs book, `Triggered,Ž is Number
One on The New York Times Bestseller List. Congratulations Don!'

------

HOW DOES THE NEW YORK TIMES MEASURE BOOK SALES

According to The New York Times: 'Rankings reflect unit sales reported on a
confidential basis by vendors offering a wide range of general interest titles
published in the United States.

'The panel of reporting retailers is comprehensive and reflects sales in tens of
thousands of stores of all sizes and demographics across the United States.

'Sales are defined as completed transactions by vendors and individual end users
during the period on or after the official publication date of a title.

'Institutional, special interest, group or bulk purchases, if and when they are
included, are at the discretion of The New York Times Best-Seller List Desk
editors based on standards for inclusion that encompass proprietary vetting and
audit protocols, corroborative reporting and other statistical determinations.

'When included, such bulk purchases appear with a dagger (†).

'Sales are statistically weighted to represent and accurately reflect all
outlets proportionally nationwide.'

The paper electricliterature.com in 2018: 'If we were to equate The New York
Times best seller lists with covering baseball, we would include the major
leagues, minor leagues and all the way down to the little leagues while doing
what we can to exclude any attempts made by people to manipulate the lists.'

-----

And Don Jr. himself thanked supporters, who have turned out in their thousands
to hear him speak on the book.

He wrote: 'I dedicated #Triggered to the Deplorables and you guys made it #1...
let's do it again at the voting booth in November. You are the best!!! #MAGA.'
He also retweeted the note from Surabian defending his book sales.

'Triggered' also placed high on the weekly report compiled by NPD BookScan,
which tracks around 85% of the print market.

According to BookScan, 'Triggered' sold 71,000 copies last week, second only to
Jeff KinneyŽs latest 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid.' NPD could not immediately determine
how many of those sales were bulk sales.

2019-11-15 03:36:53 UTC
[...]
Trump tweeted: 'Wow! Was just told that my sons book, `Triggered, is
#1... let's do it again at the voting booth in November. You are the best!!!
#MAGA.' He also retweeted the note from Surabian defending his book sales.
'Triggered' also placed high on the weekly report compiled by NPD BookScan,
which tracks around 85% of the print market.
According to BookScan, 'Triggered' sold 71,000 copies last week, second only
to Jeff Kinney's latest 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid.' NPD could not immediately
determine how many of those sales were bulk sales.
I noticed the cover of that book while I was browsing on Amazon for
something else, he looks like somebody pissed in his cornflakes.
Miloch
#1... let's do it again at the voting booth in November. You are the best!!!
#MAGA.' He also retweeted the note from Surabian defending his book sales.
'Triggered' also placed high on the weekly report compiled by NPD BookScan,
which tracks around 85% of the print market.
According to BookScan, 'Triggered' sold 71,000 copies last week, second only
to Jeff Kinney's latest 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid.' NPD could not immediately
determine how many of those sales were bulk sales.
I noticed the cover of that book while I was browsing on Amazon for
something else, he looks like somebody pissed in his cornflakes.
I wonder if it was 'ghost-written' by the same ghostwriter who did "The Art of
the Deal"? Like his father, Don Jr's a pretty dim bulb.

*
Mitchell Holman
2019-11-15 13:53:35 UTC
In article
super70s says...
Post by Miloch
[...]
second only to Jeff Kinney's latest 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid.' NPD
could not immediately determine how many of those sales were bulk
sales.
I noticed the cover of that book while I was browsing on Amazon for
something else, he looks like somebody pissed in his cornflakes.
I wonder if it was 'ghost-written' by the same ghostwriter who did
"The Art of the Deal"? Like his father, Don Jr's a pretty dim bulb.
Conservative peddlers are famous for buying
books in bulk and then GIVING them away just to
boost "sales".

"For a limited time, Townhall Magazine will give a copy
of Ann Coulter's new book to new subscribers. Click here
to subscribe to Townhall Magazine and get Ann Coulter's
Guilty for Free!"
http://townhall.com/blog/g/07e8e8a4-b43d-4954-a7e6-b5243c28b9d5

"Please enroll me as a member of the Conservative Book Club
under the terms outlined on this page. Send Godless: The
Church of Liberalism FREE and charge my credit card just
$3.95 for shipping and handling. I then need buy only two
books over the next year at regularly discounted Club prices
(20-50% off retail)."

https://www.conservativebookclub.com/Join/SingleBookJoin.asp?
sour_cd=sb257az&prod_cd=c6918

"Subscribe to Human Events! Subscribe Today and Receive:
100% risk-free trial subscription to HUMAN EVENTS. We
guarantee your complete satisfaction. A FREE copy of
Ann Coulter's newest book, If Democrats Had Any Brains,
They'd Be Republicans - a $27.95 value!

Best Deal! 70 weeks for $69.95. (Save over $103) and get
TWO free books: Ann Coulter's If Democrats Had Any Brains,
They'd Be Republicans AND Robert Spencer's Religion of
Peace? – a combined $52.90 value."
https://members.humaneventsonline.com/subscribe-direct.php