Reagan Foundation to Trump RNC Quit raising money off Ronald Reagans legacy
2020-07-26 03:53:17 UTC
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/25/reagan-foundation-trump-rnc-quit-raising-money-off-ronald-reagans-legacy/

The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute, which runs the 40th
president’s library near Los Angeles, has demanded that President Trump and the
Republican National Committee (RNC) quit raising campaign money by using Ronald
Reagan’s name and likeness.

“It was simply handled with a phone call mid-last week to the RNC, and they
agreed to stop,” Reagan Foundation chief marketing officer Melissa Giller said
in an email Saturday.

What came to the foundation’s attention — and compelled officials there to
complain — was a fundraising email that went out July 19 with “Donald J. Trump”
identified as the sender and a subject line that read: “Ronald Reagan and Yours
Truly.”

The solicitation offered, for a donation of $45 or more, a “limited edition”
commemorative set featuring two gold-colored coins, one each with an image of
Reagan and Trump. The coins were mounted with a 1987 photograph of Reagan and
Trump shaking hands in a White House receiving line — the type of fleeting
contact that presidents have with thousands of people a year.

“Friend,” the fundraising email purportedly from Trump said, “I just saw our new
Trump-Reagan Commemorative Coin Sets and WOW, these coins are beautiful - I took
one look and immediately knew that I wanted YOU to have a set. These aren’t any
ordinary coins. They symbolize an important time in our Nation. This year, in
addition to being re-elected as YOUR President, it also marks the 40th
anniversary of our Nation’s 40th President, Ronald Reagan. Unfortunately, we
already sold out of the first batch we had in stock. But I liked these coins so
much that I asked my team to rush order another batch for my TOP SUPPORTERS
ONLY.”

It cautioned: “I’ve authorized a very limited production of these iconic coins,
which is why I’m ONLY offering them to our top supporters, like YOU. This offer
is NOT available to the general public, so please, do NOT share this email with
anyone.”

Proceeds from the coin sales went to the Trump Make America Great Again
Committee, a joint fundraising operation that benefits both the Trump campaign
and the RNC.

The joint committee website, where the coins were for sale, noted: “The
President only authorized the production of 5,000 sets of these iconic coins,
which is why we’re ONLY offering them to our TOP supporters.”

In the 1990s, both Reagan and his wife Nancy signed legal documents that granted
the foundation sole rights to their names, likenesses and images. Of course,
there are countless photos and videos of Reagan that are in the public domain.
But the foundation claims power to block them from being used for commercial
purposes and political endorsements. When Reagan Foundation officials were made
aware of the Trump email solicitation, they decided “within seconds” to put a
stop to it, said Giller.

Athough the RNC accepted the foundation’s demand regarding the fundraising
emails, “we still have a lot of additional work,” Giller said. The foundation is
looking into how many people might have seen the email and how many of the coin
sets were sold, and may still decide to get lawyers involved, she added.

Frederick J. Ryan Jr., who chairs the Reagan Foundation board, is also publisher
and CEO of The Washington Post. He declined to offer a comment for this column.

This isn’t the first time the 45th president has traded on the name or likeness
of the 40th, who is revered among conservatives, for his own purposes. In July
2019, he shared as “Cute!” a fake quote by Reagan that was making its way around
social media. According to the apocryphal story, Reagan upon meeting Trump
supposedly said: “For the life of me, and I’ll never know how to explain it,
when I met that young man, I felt like I was the one shaking hands with the
president.”

Trump continued to spread the made-up quote, even though Joanne Drake, the chief
administrative officer of the Reagan Foundation, had already told the
fact-checking website PolitiFact that Reagan “did not ever say that about Donald
Trump.”

Relations between the Trump family and the Reagan Foundation have generally been
cordial. Last November, Donald Trump Jr. appeared for a lecture and book-signing
at the Reagan Library, for which the foundation charged admission. The event
sold out.

“President Reagan was a proud Republican and supporter of a party that has
carried on his fight for conservative principles of economic opportunity and
limited government. His likeness is used by thousands of Republicans each year
who gather around the country for ‘Reagan Dinners,’ and his library regularly
hosts debates for our presidential candidates," RNC communications director
Michael Ahrens said in an emailed statement. "Given that the Reagan Foundation
just recently hosted the Trump family to raise money for its organization and
has not objected to us using President Reagan’s likeness before, their objection
came as a surprise. Even though we believe our use of the image was appropriate,
we will stop emailing this fundraising solicitation as a courtesy.”

As of Saturday afternoon, it appeared that the coin sets were still available on
the joint fundraising committee website.

Nancy Reagan, who died in 2016, was leery of those who invoked her husband’s
name, even in efforts to pay tribute to him. In 2003, for instance, she publicly
opposed a push by conservative House Republicans to replace Franklin D.
Roosevelt’s profile on the dime with an image of Reagan, who by then was nearing
the end of his battle with Alzheimer’s disease.

“While I can understand the intentions of those seeking to place my husband’s
face on the dime, I do not support this proposal and I am certain Ronnie would
not,” the former first lady said. “When our country chooses to honor a great
president such as Franklin Roosevelt by placing his likeness on our currency, it
would be wrong to remove him and replace him with another.”

Nancy Reagan understood that a president’s place in history is precious, unique
and vulnerable to the opportunism of those who claim to follow in his footsteps.
It is not hard to imagine what she would have thought of the “iconic” coins that
Trump has been hawking.

*
Jack Shit
2020-07-26 13:57:13 UTC
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/25/reagan-foundation-trump-rnc-quit-raising-money-off-ronald-reagans-legacy/
The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute, which runs the 40th
president? library near Los Angeles, has demanded that President Trump and the
Republican National Committee (RNC) quit raising campaign money by using Ronald
Reagan? name and likeness.
?t was simply handled with a phone call mid-last week to the RNC, and they
agreed to stop,?Reagan Foundation chief marketing officer Melissa Giller said
in an email Saturday.
What came to the foundation? attention ?and compelled officials there to
complain ?was a fundraising email that went out July 19 with ?onald J. Trump?
identified as the sender and a subject line that read: ?onald Reagan and Yours
Truly.?
The solicitation offered, for a donation of $45 or more, a ?imited edition?
commemorative set featuring two gold-colored coins, one each with an image of
Reagan and Trump. The coins were mounted with a 1987 photograph of Reagan and
Trump shaking hands in a White House receiving line ?the type of fleeting
contact that presidents have with thousands of people a year.
?riend,?the fundraising email purportedly from Trump said, ? just saw our new
Trump-Reagan Commemorative Coin Sets and WOW, these coins are beautiful - I took
one look and immediately knew that I wanted YOU to have a set. These aren? any
ordinary coins. They symbolize an important time in our Nation. This year, in
addition to being re-elected as YOUR President, it also marks the 40th
anniversary of our Nation? 40th President, Ronald Reagan. Unfortunately, we
already sold out of the first batch we had in stock. But I liked these coins so
much that I asked my team to rush order another batch for my TOP SUPPORTERS
ONLY.?
It cautioned: ??e authorized a very limited production of these iconic coins,
which is why I? ONLY offering them to our top supporters, like YOU. This offer
is NOT available to the general public, so please, do NOT share this email with
anyone.?
Proceeds from the coin sales went to the Trump Make America Great Again
Committee, a joint fundraising operation that benefits both the Trump campaign
and the RNC.
The joint committee website, where the coins were for sale, noted: ?he
President only authorized the production of 5,000 sets of these iconic coins,
which is why we?e ONLY offering them to our TOP supporters.?
In the 1990s, both Reagan and his wife Nancy signed legal documents that granted
the foundation sole rights to their names, likenesses and images. Of course,
there are countless photos and videos of Reagan that are in the public domain.
But the foundation claims power to block them from being used for commercial
purposes and political endorsements. When Reagan Foundation officials were made
aware of the Trump email solicitation, they decided ?ithin seconds?to put a
stop to it, said Giller.
Athough the RNC accepted the foundation? demand regarding the fundraising
emails, ?e still have a lot of additional work,?Giller said. The foundation is
looking into how many people might have seen the email and how many of the coin
sets were sold, and may still decide to get lawyers involved, she added.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr., who chairs the Reagan Foundation board, is also publisher
and CEO of The Washington Post. He declined to offer a comment for this column.
This isn? the first time the 45th president has traded on the name or likeness
of the 40th, who is revered among conservatives, for his own purposes. In July
2019, he shared as ?ute!?a fake quote by Reagan that was making its way around
social media. According to the apocryphal story, Reagan upon meeting Trump
supposedly said: ?or the life of me, and I?l never know how to explain it,
when I met that young man, I felt like I was the one shaking hands with the
president.?
Trump continued to spread the made-up quote, even though Joanne Drake, the chief
administrative officer of the Reagan Foundation, had already told the
fact-checking website PolitiFact that Reagan ?id not ever say that about Donald
Trump.?
Relations between the Trump family and the Reagan Foundation have generally been
cordial. Last November, Donald Trump Jr. appeared for a lecture and book-signing
at the Reagan Library, for which the foundation charged admission. The event
sold out.
?resident Reagan was a proud Republican and supporter of a party that has
carried on his fight for conservative principles of economic opportunity and
limited government. His likeness is used by thousands of Republicans each year
who gather around the country for ?eagan Dinners,?and his library regularly
hosts debates for our presidential candidates," RNC communications director
Michael Ahrens said in an emailed statement. "Given that the Reagan Foundation
just recently hosted the Trump family to raise money for its organization and
has not objected to us using President Reagan? likeness before, their objection
came as a surprise. Even though we believe our use of the image was appropriate,
we will stop emailing this fundraising solicitation as a courtesy.?
As of Saturday afternoon, it appeared that the coin sets were still available on
the joint fundraising committee website.
Nancy Reagan, who died in 2016, was leery of those who invoked her husband?
name, even in efforts to pay tribute to him. In 2003, for instance, she publicly
opposed a push by conservative House Republicans to replace Franklin D.
Roosevelt? profile on the dime with an image of Reagan, who by then was nearing
the end of his battle with Alzheimer? disease.
?hile I can understand the intentions of those seeking to place my husband?
face on the dime, I do not support this proposal and I am certain Ronnie would
not,?the former first lady said. ?hen our country chooses to honor a great
president such as Franklin Roosevelt by placing his likeness on our currency, it
would be wrong to remove him and replace him with another.?
Nancy Reagan understood that a president? place in history is precious, unique
and vulnerable to the opportunism of those who claim to follow in his footsteps.
It is not hard to imagine what she would have thought of the ?conic?coins that
Trump has been hawking.
*
More crybaby copy/paste.
Gronk
Reagan people are the biggest crybabies there are.
Miloch
2020-08-02 04:18:49 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by Jack Shit
Post by Miloch
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/25/reagan-foundation-trump-rnc-quit-raising-money-off-ronald-reagans-legacy/
The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute, which runs the 40th
president? library near Los Angeles, has demanded that President Trump and the
Republican National Committee (RNC) quit raising campaign money by using Ronald
Reagan? name and likeness.
*
More crybaby copy/paste.
Reagan people are the biggest crybabies there are.
As a Californian, I remember Ronnie well...he had a failing memory almost as bad
as Trumps. Had a better speech writer, though.

*
default
2020-08-02 10:21:09 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by Jack Shit
Post by Miloch
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/25/reagan-foundation-trump-rnc-quit-raising-money-off-ronald-reagans-legacy/
The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute, which runs the 40th
president? library near Los Angeles, has demanded that President Trump and the
Republican National Committee (RNC) quit raising campaign money by using Ronald
Reagan? name and likeness.
*
More crybaby copy/paste.
Reagan people are the biggest crybabies there are.
As a Californian, I remember Ronnie well...he had a failing memory almost as bad
as Trumps. Had a better speech writer, though.
He knew how to act... That, and use a teleprompter and NOT trust the
first thing to come to his mind. A good team of bullshit artists to
write his script, and Trump staying on-script, and even a bozo like
Trump might appear presidential.

He needs a few tweaks from a posture coach too. He leans over his
size 14(?) shoes like he's about to fall on his face, sits in a chair
like he's always taking a dump, and has the worst make-up artists
around. Reagan had the edge...
Jack Shit
2020-08-02 14:27:01 UTC
Post by default
He knew how to act... That, and use a teleprompter and NOT trust the
first thing to come to his mind. A good team of bullshit artists to
write his script, and Trump staying on-script, and even a bozo like
Trump might appear presidential.
More proof you want a puppet in office. You want him to say what
"they" tell him to say.

super70s
2020-07-27 22:35:09 UTC
[...]
1987, Trump had several more years of being a Democrat to go.
Post by Miloch
[...]
That's good because general public would not want Reagan's memory
sullied by the likes of Trump, even those who didn't vote for him.
Post by Miloch
[...]
It's hard to foresee Donald Trump's image being put on any
government-sponsored currency. Or having an aircraft carrier or airport
named after him. Even if the Republicans should regain total power and
attempt it the public would never stand for it.