Were the Mueller hearings a disaster for Democrats? Only if Americans weren't really listening
2019-07-25 19:10:18 UTC
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/were-mueller-hearings-disaster-democrats-only-if-americans-weren-t-ncna1034366

Mueller did not exactly exude charisma, but his testimony before Congress was
illuminating when distilled down to the key moments.

In the opening minutes of Wednesday’s first hearing with former special counsel
Robert Mueller, House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y., pointedly asked,
“Did you actually totally exonerate the president?” Mueller’s one-word response?
“No.”

It was one of the more climactic moments of Mueller’s many hours of testimony
before the House Judiciary and Intelligence committees, which says all you need
to know about the rest of that time. Anyone hoping for or expecting loud
outbursts and emotional testimony has perhaps spent too much time watching
fictitious courtroom dramas. This isn’t the WWE, it’s the United States
Congress. But while the substance of Mueller’s testimony was often less than
entertaining, it was an important moment in the saga that has been Donald
Trump’s presidency.

Trump reportedly was “triumphant” as he watched the event. But perceptions of
the testimony are likely to vary widely in the immediate aftermath. This isn’t
surprising. Much like the 1960 Nixon-Kennedy debate, how you experienced this
hearing will likely color your impressions of it. In 1960, those who listened to
the debate thought Richard Nixon performed better, but those who watched it on
television seemed to favor John F. Kennedy.

If you watched the entirety of the day’s proceedings, you might be more fixated
on the optics of the performances. If you followed along via social media, you
likely saw a handful of key “moments” and exchanges — and a lot of opinions. I
suspect most Americans will get their recap either via the old-fashioned way,
watching the evening news or by reading their news source of choice. Most people
will only watch a few minutes of testimony, if any of it, distilled down by
video editors into a handful of short exchanges.

For his part, Mueller did not exactly exude charisma. According to trackers,
Mueller refused to answer questions from Congress close to 200 times. According
to CNN, on 43 occasions, he simply referred the lawmakers to his report. But
this also means that when he gave a direct answer, it stood out, and those
answers are what’s going to be replayed over and over and over again throughout
the week.

One such moment came when Rep. Ken Buck, R-Colo., asked, “Could you charge the
president with a crime after he left office?” Mueller replied, “Yes.” A
surprised Buck followed up, “Could you charge the president of the United States
after he left office?” Mueller answered again, “Yes.” (Mueller did not go so far
as to say Trump should be charged, of course.)

Another illuminating exchange came via Rep. Val Demings, D-Fla., who asked
Mueller if it was fair to say that Trump’s “written answers were not only
inadequate and incomplete because he didn’t answer your questions, but where he
did, his answers show that he wasn’t always being truthful?” Mueller replied,
“Generally.”

Arguably the most devastating line of questioning was delivered by Rep. Adam
Schiff, D-Calif., who pointedly asked Mueller about Trump’s repeated claims that
the investigation was a “witch hunt.” Mueller responded, “No, it is not.” Schiff
continued, “When the president said the Russian interference as a ‘hoax,’ that
was false wasn’t it?” Mueller, deadpan, replied, “True.”

Schiff asked if “knowingly accepting foreign assistance during a presidential
campaign is an unethical thing to do?” To which Mueller added, “And a crime.”
Schiff then replied, “Can we also agree it’s also unpatriotic and wrong?”
Mueller agreed. Returning to the report, Schiff stated, “Your report describes a
sweeping and systemic effort by Russia to influence our presidential election.”
Mueller noted that this description was “correct.” Then Schiff followed up
again: “During the course of this Russian interference, the Russians made
outreach to the Trump campaign?” Mueller’s response: “That occurred.”

When asked about Trump’s seeming embrace of WikiLeaks during the 2016 campaign,
Mueller broke new ground characterizing the president’s conduct as “disturbing”
and commenting that calling it “problematic is an understatement, in terms of
what it displays, in terms of giving some hope or some boost to what is and
should be illegal activity.”

And perhaps the most chilling exchange played out as Rep. Will Hurd, R-Texas,
asked Mueller about Russian interference in the 2016 election. Mueller sounded
the alarm quite clearly. “It wasn’t a single attempt," he told lawmakers.
"They’re doing it as we sit here. And they expect to do it during the next
campaign.”

Because Americans — and the media — are increasingly become accustomed to
politics being treated like a game, there will be lots of commentary this week
about who won and who lost on Wednesday. The bottom line is that the former
special prosecutor clearly and directly stated that he did not clear the
president of obstruction, that the president was untruthful and less than
helpful during the investigation, that inviting foreign interference was
disturbing and that efforts to undermine our elections are still happening right
now.

But did Democrats get that made-for-TV moment that could help them ignite
impeachment proceedings? I guess it depends on whether Americans were really
paying attention.

*
Ken
2019-07-25 20:03:11 UTC
[...]
You are being too kind to Mueller. He did not want to speak any further
on his report, and he would have been better off if he had stuck to that
view. He revealed in public that he was overseeing the effort, but did
not know much about what was being done and what was in the report.

He had much to be proud of in his career, but he left the scene with a
disastrous event. There were comments comparing his performance to a
great quarterback throwing five interceptions in his final game.

There is a comradery among Marines, and it was painful for me to watch him.
Miloch
2019-07-25 20:44:06 UTC
Post by Ken
You are being too kind to Mueller. He did not want to speak any further
on his report, and he would have been better off if he had stuck to that
view. He revealed in public that he was overseeing the effort, but did
not know much about what was being done and what was in the report.
He had much to be proud of in his career, but he left the scene with a
disastrous event. There were comments comparing his performance to a
great quarterback throwing five interceptions in his final game.
There is a comradery among Marines, and it was painful for me to watch him.
Mueller and I are the same age...and like him, I'm a combat veteran (Army) of
the VietNam War...his performance was that of a 75 year old man...what were
people expecting?!...what counts is his report...not his live appearance which
is insignificant.

...it's not the messenger...it's the message.

*
MaxxX-Ine
2019-07-26 01:49:05 UTC
Mueller and I are the same age...and like him
... you suffer from early stage Alzheimer's.

And P.S. You're an old fart aintcha?
Miloch
2019-07-26 03:04:44 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Mueller and I are the same age...and like him
... you suffer from early stage Alzheimer's.
And P.S. You're an old fart aintcha?
Hey Dude..long time no see...what ya been up to?...helping the ole Trumpster
make America mediocre again...that's got to be nerve racking...not going to look
good on the resume when you're out of a job and pounding turf looking for
employment.

*
MaxxX-Ine
2019-07-26 04:16:02 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Mueller and I are the same age...and like him
... you suffer from early stage Alzheimer's.
And P.S. You're an old fart aintcha?
Hey Dude..long time no see...what ya been up to?...helping the ole Trumpster
make America mediocre again...that's got to be nerve racking...not going to look
good on the resume when you're out of a job and pounding turf looking for
employment.
How many brain cells do you have left to rub together to repost some other
author's gossip articles?

P.S. How do you feel now that there won't be an impeachment? You must be
crestfallen and triggered, again. Ah... the life of a democRat.
Miloch
2019-07-26 04:26:41 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Mueller and I are the same age...and like him
... you suffer from early stage Alzheimer's.
And P.S. You're an old fart aintcha?
Hey Dude..long time no see...what ya been up to?...helping the ole Trumpster
make America mediocre again...that's got to be nerve racking...not going to look
good on the resume when you're out of a job and pounding turf looking for
employment.
How many brain cells do you have left to rub together to repost some other
author's gossip articles?
You have a terrible time with it...doncha!
Post by MaxxX-Ine
P.S. How do you feel now that there won't be an impeachment? You must be
crestfallen and triggered, again. Ah... the life of a democRat.
...think ya could jam your tongue up Trumps sphincter again!?....ya missed a
spot and you know how much the Grifter-in-Chief likes a clean rectum!

Say!...while I got ya here, how's Mrs MaxxX-Ine and the marriage doin'...hope
it's better than ole Giuliani's. What a shit-show that divorce's going to be!!!

*
MaxxX-Ine
2019-07-26 05:12:33 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Mueller and I are the same age...and like him
... you suffer from early stage Alzheimer's.
And P.S. You're an old fart aintcha?
Hey Dude..long time no see...what ya been up to?...helping the ole Trumpster
make America mediocre again...that's got to be nerve racking...not going to look
good on the resume when you're out of a job and pounding turf looking for
employment.
How many brain cells do you have left to rub together to repost some other
author's gossip articles?
You have a terrible time with it...doncha!
It just seems like a strange undertaking for an old man. You should
get outside and get some fresh air once in a while. Maybe it'll clear
out some of those cobwebs.
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
P.S. How do you feel now that there won't be an impeachment? You must be
crestfallen and triggered, again. Ah... the life of a democRat.
...think ya could jam your tongue up Trumps sphincter again!?....ya missed a
spot and you know how much the Grifter-in-Chief likes a clean rectum!
You're havin' a real tough time with it aintcha old man? Befuddled
old Mueller has been exposed. No wonder he didn't want to testify.
Now we're really going to have some fun.
Post by Miloch
Say!...while I got ya here, how's Mrs MaxxX-Ine and the marriage doin'...hope
it's better than ole Giuliani's. What a shit-show that divorce's going to be!!!
I don't know anything about Giuliani's marriage, and unlike you I
don't care. Some people don't live for gossip like you do. You're
kind of like a woman, no?
Miloch
2019-07-26 13:54:18 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
I don't know anything about Giuliani's marriage, and unlike you I
don't care. Some people don't live for gossip like you do. You're
kind of like a woman, no?
The question is NOT why I post them but why you read
them?...every...single...one!!

*
MaxxX-Ine
2019-07-27 00:03:48 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
I don't know anything about Giuliani's marriage, and unlike you I
don't care. Some people don't live for gossip like you do. You're
kind of like a woman, no?
The question is NOT why I post them but why you read
them?...every...single...one!!
LOL. Delusional as ever.

Mueller really blew it for the democRats, huh? Now there's going to be a real
investigation into why there was an investigation in the first place. Genius
move on Trump's part not firing addled old Muely. Trump wins again.
Miloch
2019-07-27 00:05:40 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
I don't know anything about Giuliani's marriage, and unlike you I
don't care. Some people don't live for gossip like you do. You're
kind of like a woman, no?
The question is NOT why I post them but why you read
them?...every...single...one!!
LOL. Delusional as ever.
Mueller really blew it for the democRats, huh? Now there's going to be a real
investigation into why there was an investigation in the first place. Genius
move on Trump's part not firing addled old Muely. Trump wins again.
Are you having a hard time with just my posts or life in general?

*
MaxxX-Ine
2019-07-27 00:10:57 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
I don't know anything about Giuliani's marriage, and unlike you I
don't care. Some people don't live for gossip like you do. You're
kind of like a woman, no?
The question is NOT why I post them but why you read
them?...every...single...one!!
LOL. Delusional as ever.
Mueller really blew it for the democRats, huh? Now there's going to be a real
investigation into why there was an investigation in the first place. Genius
move on Trump's part not firing addled old Muely. Trump wins again.
Are you having a hard time with just my posts or life in general?
LOLZ! Suddenly the gossip QUEEN is silent on Mueller. The testimony really
burst your bubble.
Miloch
2019-07-27 00:20:28 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
I don't know anything about Giuliani's marriage, and unlike you I
don't care. Some people don't live for gossip like you do. You're
kind of like a woman, no?
The question is NOT why I post them but why you read
them?...every...single...one!!
LOL. Delusional as ever.
Mueller really blew it for the democRats, huh? Now there's going to be a real
investigation into why there was an investigation in the first place. Genius
move on Trump's part not firing addled old Muely. Trump wins again.
Are you having a hard time with just my posts or life in general?
LOLZ! Suddenly the gossip QUEEN is silent on Mueller. The testimony really
burst your bubble.
Been watching Fox Noise again...haincha! Mueller testified exactly as expected.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-07-24/why-robert-mueller-s-testimony-matters

Hannity coming on shortly...if your timing is good, you can be one with the
Grifter-in-Chief and watch Hannity together!

*
MaxxX-Ine
2019-07-27 01:47:12 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
[...]
LULZ! Posting an article from BEFORE the failed testimony and from Bloomberg no
less. Your desperation is showing. This is really stating to sink in, huh?
Miloch
2019-07-27 02:01:05 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
[...]
<yawn>

Any reason you're sniffing the TrumpGlue extra hard tonight?

The only unanswered question is when the Grifter-in-Chief resigns, will he
'tweet' out his resignation or just leave a note on the White House front door.

*
MaxxX-Ine
2019-07-27 03:47:08 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
[...]
LOLOLOLLOL... So now he has to resign??? For years you were claiming he'd be
impeached. 5 more years, buddy. Get used to it.
Miloch
2019-07-27 04:28:31 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
[...]
LOLOLOLLOL...
Whether he resigns...gets impeached...loses in 2020...makes no difference. Only
his die-hard supports like you will go down with him, muttering "What about
Hillary's emails...that's the real crime"

No more years, buddy. Get used to it.

*
MaxxX-Ine
2019-07-27 18:05:38 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
[...]
You're so predictable and boring. I'm done with you for a while. Go get some
fresh air.
Miloch
2019-07-27 20:56:00 UTC
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
Post by Miloch
Post by MaxxX-Ine
[...]
...as simple a group as this one is, it's still intellectually challenging for
ya...go back to changing truck tires on semis at some rundown truck stop...it
requires less mental effort.