Donald Trump suffers embarrassing blunder during national anthem - ‘Someone tell him’
2020-07-05 00:28:54 UTC
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1305208/Donald-Trump-news-us-national-anthem-melania-trump-mount-rushmore-south-dakota

DONALD TRUMP appeared to make a huge blunder and break protocol during the US
national anthem ahead of July 4th celebrations.

US President Donald Trump and his wife Melania Trump travelled to South Dakota
on Friday night ahead of July 4th Independence Day celebrations across America.
Before speeches and firework displays, the US President and First Lady took to
an outdoor stage at Mount Rushmore for the national anthem.

As the famous star spangled banner played out, Mr Trump was pictured saluting
with his right-hand over his right eyebrow, instead of over his chest – like his
wife Melania.

The blunder caused a huge stir among users on social media.

Andrew Feinberg White House Correspondent for Newsweek, wrote on Twitter: “Can
someone explain to @realDonaldTrump that as a civilian, non-veteran, he should
have his hand over his heart during the national anthem?”

Another user said: “I’ve never served but I have literally asked every vet and
active solider I run into, and they all agree he should not be saluting.”

A second user wrote: “Can someone explain to President Trump that as a civilian,
non-veteran, he should have his hand over his heart during the national anthem,
just like his wife.”

Meanwhile a third angry American said: “Trump embarrasses us in new ways every
day.”

The Flag Code states persons present to the national anthem are expected to
stand and face the flag, if there is one.

Civilians should stand to attention with right hand over heart, while military
personnel in uniform and veterans should salute throughout.

The Flag Code is enshrined into US law but is it never enforced and there are no
punishments for breaching it.

The pre-July 4 holiday event drew 7,500 people, packed into an outdoor
amphitheatre.

Mount Rushmore, which depicts US presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson,
Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln, has not hosted a fireworks spectacle
since 2009 because of environmental concerns but was given the go-ahead by Mr
Trump.

Speaking underneath the famed landmark, Mr Trump turned the event into one of
his election rallies and criticised the widespread protests across the US,
sparked by the death of George Floyd.

In the nationwide unrest protesters in several cities have vandalised the
statues of leaders, including Confederate generals who led a rebellion against
the US Government during the US civil war.

Protesters in one instance, unsuccessfully tried to pull down a statue of former
US President Andrew Jackson outside the White House.

Mr Jackson, known for his populist policies, owned slaves and forced thousands
of Native Americans from their homes.

Mr Trump said: "As we meet here tonight there is a growing danger that threatens
every blessing our ancestors fought so hard for.

"Our nation is witnessing a merciless campaign to wipe out our history, defame
our heroes, erase our values and indoctrinate our children."

He added: “Those who seek to erase our heritage want Americans to forget our
pride and our great dignity, so that we can no longer understand ourselves or
America's destiny.

"They would tear down the beliefs, culture and identity that have made America
the most vibrant and tolerant society in the history of the Earth.

"Mount Rushmore will stand forever as an eternal tribute to our forefathers, and
to our freedom.”

*
kelown
2020-07-05 00:51:02 UTC
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1305208/Donald-Trump-news-us-national-anthem-melania-trump-mount-rushmore-south-dakota
DONALD TRUMP appeared to make a huge blunder and break protocol during the US
national anthem ahead of July 4th celebrations.
As the famous star spangled banner played out, Mr Trump was pictured saluting
with his right-hand over his right eyebrow, instead of over his chest – like his
wife Melania.
The blunder caused a huge stir among users on social media.
This is just another example of Trump's covfefe mental confusion. Ironic
that his supporters are pinning their hopes on making Biden look like
the doofus candidate.