'She's a woman so we have to be nice': Donald Trump launches new attack on ousted Ukraine ambassador...
2019-11-22 18:12:28 UTC
...claiming 'she didn't want to hang my picture in the embassy' and calling her
an 'Obama person'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7715211/Donald-Trump-claims-Marie-Yovanovitch-didnt-want-hang-picture-embassy.html

*Donald Trump called former Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch an 'Obama person'

•He complained she wouldn't hang his presidential photo in the U.S. Embassy

•'This was an Obama person who didn’t want to hang my picture in the embassy,'
he told 'Fox & Friends' in a nearly one hour interview

•'This ambassador, that, you know, everybody says is a wonderful, she wouldn't
have my picture in the embassy,' he complained

•In October 2017 the Washington Post reported that the official portrait of
Trump was finally being sent to government buildings - nine months after he took
office

Donald Trump on Friday launched a new attack on former U.S. Ambassador to the
Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch, calling her a Barack Obama person who refused to hang
his picture in the embassy in Kiev.

'This was an Obama person who didn’t want to hang my picture in the embassy.
It’s standard is you put the President of the United States picture in the
embassy. This was not an angel this woman,' the president told the hosts of 'Fox
& Friends' when he called into his favorite morning show for an interview.

'She's an Obama person,' he said.

But his biggest charge was that Yovanovitch, as ambassador, refused to hang his
presidential photo in the U.S. embassy after his election.

'This ambassador, that, you know, everybody says is a wonderful, she wouldn't
have my picture in the embassy. Okay she's in charge of the embassy. She
wouldn't hang it. It took like a year and a half or two years for her to get the
picture up,' he complained in his nearly one hour interview on Fox.

However, The Washington Post reported in October of 2017 that the official
portraits of President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence were finally being
sent to government office buildings - nine months after they were sworn into
office.

It was unclear what caused the delay.

Trump also said he was told they had to be nice to Yovanovitch because she's a
woman.

'I said, "Why are you being so kind. Well sir she's a woman. We have to be
nice." She's very tough,' he said.

Yovanovitch was appointed ambassador to the Ukraine by President Barack Obama in
May 2016 and confirmed by the Senate that July.

Trump had her recalled in May of this year and her defender say she was the
victim of smear campaign against her.

The president and his supporters point out he can appoint anyone he wants as
ambassador.

Yovanovitch testified in public during the impeachment hearings last Friday and
received a standing ovation when she was done.

In her testimony, Yovanovitch addressed the president’s previous attacks against
her.

The long time diplomat recalled in stark, personal terms how she felt when she
was attacked by Trump associates and later disparaged by the president himself
in his July 25 phone call with Volodymyr Zelensky.

'I was shocked and devastated that I would feature in a phone call between two
heads of state in such a manner where President Trump said that I was bad news
to another world leader and that I would be going through some things,'
Yovanovitch said during her public testimony in Trump's impeachment inquiry.

'It sounded like a threat,' she noted.

As Democrats were questioning her about a smear campaign against her, President
Trump took to Twitter to wage a fresh round of insults against the former
ambassador - a move House Intelligence Committee Committee Chairman Adam Schiff
called 'witness intimidation.'

'Everywhere Marie Yovanovitch went turned bad,' Trump wrote on the social media
platform while Yovanovitch sat at the witness table on Capitol Hill. 'It is a
U.S. President's absolute right to appoint ambassadors.'

Other State Department officials, in their testimony before the impeachment
inquiry, described Yovanovitch’s professional demeanor and praised her years of
public service.

State Department official David Holmes testified on Thursday on what he said was
his first-hand knowledge about the pressures placed on the Ukraine to open
investigations - going all the way up to President Trump.

Holmes, in his 12-page opening statement, emphasized his non-political role in
U.S. Embassy in Kiev and outlined how U.S. priorities in the Ukraine were
overshadowed by Rudy Giuliani and the 'three amigos' running a 'shadow' foreign
policy.

The career diplomat arrived in Kiev in August 2017 to work with Yovanovitch and
then with Bill Taylor after Yovanovitch was recalled in May of this year.

He noted a change in U.S. policy began 'dramatically' in March 2019 when
American policy directives in the country were 'overshadowed by a political
agenda being promoted by former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and a cadre of
officials operating with a direct channel to the White House.'

That agenda led to Yovanovitch's ouster as ambassador, he testified. He outlined
a campaign led by then-Prosecutor General Yuriy Lutsenko to discredit her, a
campaign Giuliani then took up to have Yovanovitch recalled.

That discreditation campaign involved the Bidens and Burisma, a Ukrainian gas
company that had Hunter Biden on its board until earlier this year – a mixture
President Trump would ultimately take up to rage against the Bidens in his
campaign rallies.

Holmes argued Lutsenko was angry Yovanovitch had pushed him to follow through on
reform commitments and retaliated against her because of it.

'In retaliation, Mr. Lutsenko made a series of unsupported allegations against
Ambassador Yovanovitch, mostly suggesting that Ambassador Yovanovitch improperly
used the Embassy to advance the political interests of the Democratic Party,' he
said.

He explained how Lutsenko made unsubstantiated allegations that the U.S. Embassy
had pressured Lutsenko's predecessor to close a case against a different former
Ukrainian official, solely because of an alleged connection between that
official's company, Burisma, and former Vice President Biden's son's Hunter
Biden.

Giuliani took it up from there, according to Holmes.

'Over the next few months, Mr. Giuliani also issued a series of tweets, asking
'why Biden shouldn't be investigated,' attacking the 'New Pres of Ukraine'
(Zelenskyy) for being 'silent' on the 2016 election and Biden investigations,
and complaining about the New York Times attacking him for 'exposing the Biden
family history of making millions . . . from Ukraine criminals,' Holmes
testified.

2019-11-24 04:48:24 UTC
[...]
That is surprising, the way Trump treats his ambassadors all of them
need a good dart board these days.