Defense Department officials 'fear Trump is about to start operations against Iran'...
2020-11-10 17:45:52 UTC
...after he abruptly sacked Pentagon Secretary Mark Esper

more at
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8932925/Trump-start-operations-against-Iran-Esper-firing-officials-fear.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/us/politics/esper-defense-secretary.html

*Trump fired Pentagon Secretary Mark Esper Monday, announcing it on Twitter

*Move sparked Defense Department fears over Trump's plan for his final days

*Officials fear he could launch operations against US' adversaries, including
Iran

*Esper had sometimes contradicted Trump, including over his stance on Iran

Donald Trump's abrupt firing of Pentagon Secretary Mark Esper has sparked fears
that he could be about to launch military operations against Iran.

Officials at the Defense Department have said privately that Trump could be
clearing the way for overt or covert operations against America's foreign
adversaries, with Iran at the top of the list.

Esper, who was fired by tweet on Monday, had previously contradicted Trump over
Iran and the drone strike that killed top general Quassem Soliemani - rowing
back some of the President's statements.

The officials spoke out amid general speculation about how Trump will use his
final days in office, even as he refuses to concede the election to Joe Biden -
insisting that he won while making accusations of fraud.

According to the New York Times: 'Defense Department officials have privately
expressed worries that the president might initiate operations, whether overt or
secret, against Iran or other adversaries during his last days in office.'

Elissa Slotkin, a former Obama-era official at the Defense Department and now a
Democrat representative for Michigan, added: 'There would only be a few reasons
to fire a secretary of defense with 72 days left in an administration.

'One would be incompetence or wrongdoing, which do not seem to be the issue with
Secretary Esper.

'A second would be vindictiveness, which would be an irresponsible way to treat
our national security.

'A third would be because the president wants to take actions that he believes
his secretary of defense would refuse to take, which would be alarming.'

Trump announced that Christopher Miller, respected director of the National
Counterterrorism Center, will be Esper's replacement.

Officials say Miller was a driving force in some of Trump's anti-Iran and
anti-Hezbollah policies, as well as counterterrorism efforts in Syria and Iraq.

Esper is thought to have been at the top of a list of officials Trump was
looking to fire, after he contradicted the President several times in public.

Most-recently, Esper had opposed deploying troops on the streets to deal with a
wave of protests sparked by the death of George Floyd.

Following Esper's departure, FBI Director Christopher Wray is now thought to be
at the top of the list.

Miller is Trump's fifth Pentagon chief during his four years in the White House.

He had had been confirmed by the Senate as the director of the National
Counterterrorism Center.

Miller also performs the duties of assistant secretary of defense, overseeing
the employment of special operations forces in counterterrorism.

He is a retired U.S. Army officer - and former Green Beret - who served in
Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2003. He was also in the District of Columbia
National Guard as a Military Policeman.

His tenure will be short. President-elect Joe Biden will be inaugurated on
January 20th, 2021, and will appoint his own Pentagon chief.

Esper, in an interview with the Military Times last week, pushed back on his
nickname 'yesper' given to him by his critics, including President Trump.

'My frustration is I sit here and say, 'Hm, 18 Cabinet members. Who's pushed
back more than anybody?' Name another Cabinet secretary that's pushed back,' he
said. 'Have you seen me on a stage saying, 'Under the exceptional leadership of
blah-blah-blah, we have blah-blah-blah-blah?''

He told the news outlet, which is widely read by members of the service, he has
no regrets about how he handled himself.

'At the end of the day, it's as I said — you've got to pick your fights,' he
said. 'I could have a fight over anything, and I could make it a big fight, and
I could live with that —why? Who's going to come in behind me? It's going to be
a real 'yes man.' And then God help us.'

In the interview, Esper pushed back on a report that he had his resignation
letter ready, saying he wouldn't quit unless it was over something really big.

'Yeah, look, I mean ¯ my soldiers don't get to quit,' he said. 'So if I'm going
to quit, it better be over something really, really big. And otherwise, look,
I'm going to do what I've always done, which is try and shape it the best I
can.'

He said he would have quit if the White House retailed against impeachment
witness Army Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman.

Esper had signed off on Vindman's promotion to colonel, which had been held up.

'You know, the Army had done all its due diligence on him. He was qualified for
promotion. They asked me, you know, what to do,' he said. 'I said, if he's
qualified for promotion, do the right thing, put him on the list. I endorse it.
We'll just let the chips fall where they might.'

Vindman decided to resign his commission and retire from the Army but, asked if
he would have resigned if Trump was trying to punish Vindman, Esper said:
'Absolutely.'

Democratic Rep. Adam Smith, the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee,
blasted Trump's decision.

'President Trump’s decision to fire Secretary Esper out of spite is not just
childish, it’s also reckless,' he said in a statement.

'It has long been clear that President Trump cares about loyalty above all else,
often at the expense of competence, and during a period of presidential
transition competence in government is of the utmost importance,' he added.

Esper is a retired Army infantry lieutenant colonel and veteran of the D.C.
political scene who had worked in the Pentagon and on Capitol Hill, and as a top
lobbyist for defense giant Raytheon, which was his job when Trump named him
defense secretary.

Trump has had tenuous relationships with his defense secretaries.

Jim Mattis resigned over differences with the president and amid reports he
compared the president to a 'fifth- or sixth-grader.'

Esper had reportedly prepared a resignation letter in anticipation that Trump
would fire him post-election.

Last month, a report suggested that Esper along with Wray and CIA Director Gina
Haspel were all on Trump's chopping block if he claims victory in the 2020
presidential race against rival Joe Biden.

Last week, three current defense officials told NBC News that Esper already has
his letter ready if Trump beats Biden.

While it's not uncommon for Cabinet secretaries to prepare undated letters of
resignation during a presidential transition, Esper is said to have started his
letter because his name is reportedly etched atop the president's post-election
list of officials who are expected to be pushed out.

Esper is believed to have fallen from the president's favor over the summer when
he rebuffed the idea of sending active-duty soldiers into the streets to combat
racial injustice protests all over the country, spurred by the Memorial Day
death of George Floyd.

The defense secretary also reportedly aggravated the president when he sought to
distance himself from any role in Trump's controversial Lafayette Square
photo-op in June, showing him holding up a bible in front of DC's St John's
Episcopal Church.

In the moments prior, law enforcement officers used tear gas and other riot
control tactics to forcefully clear out protesters gathered on the square, and
in the surrounding streets, so that Trump could walk from the White House to the
church.

Esper also walked alongside the president, but later said he 'didn't know' where
he was going and never intended to participate in the photo op.

'I thought I was going to do two things: to see some damage and to talk to the
troops,' Esper told NBC at the time.

'I didn't know where I was going,' he continued, adding he had 'no idea' about
the plans to disperse protesters by force.

Esper also supported renaming military bases named for Confederate generals and
leaders, which Trump opposed, and he was working with Congress to make it happen
without Trump's help.

Meanwhile, firing Wray, who has been in charge of the FBI since 2017, will
reportedly also be one Trump's first course of action, followed by the ousting
of Haspel from the CIA.

The White House sources said that both Wray and Haspel are almost unanimously
'despised and distrusted' by Trump's inner circle.

Trump reportedly would have fired them both already, one source said, had it not
been for the November 3 election.

The president's ire was apparently struck with Wray after he failed to launch a
formal investigation into Hunter Biden, the son of Democratic nominee Joe Biden,
and his business dealings in Ukraine.

Trump was also said to be left furious at his second FBI chief for failing to
purge more officials that he believes abused their power to investigate his 2016
election campaign's alleged ties to Russia.

Additionally, Trump was reportedly aggrieved by testimony Wray offered to the
Senate Homeland Security Committee last month, in which he stated the FBI has
not seen widespread election fraud, including with mail-in ballots, contrary to
Trump's repeated claims.

While Trump appears less than satisfied with Wray's FBI tenure, a senior FBI
official told Axios that: 'Major law enforcement associations representing
current and former FBI agents as well as police and sheriff's departments across
the country have consistently expressed their full support of Director Wray's
leadership of the Bureau.'

As for Haspel, one source said the opinion among the West Wing is that she sees
her job as 'manipulating people and outcomes, the way she must have when she was
working assets in the field'.

Such an assessment has reportedly 'bred a lot of suspicion of her motives'.
Trump is also reportedly increasingly frustrated with Haspel for opposing
Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe's declassification of documents
to assist in a review of the Obama administration's handling of the Trump-Russia
investigation.

But a source said Haspel may even step down from her post regardless of Trump's
apparent looming dismissal, and regardless of the outcome of the election.

'Since the beginning of DNI's push to declassify documents, and how strongly she
feels about protecting sources connected to those materials, there have been
rumblings around the agency that the director plans to depart the CIA regardless
of who wins the election,' a source told Axios.

Should Trump secure victory in the election such a win would likely encourage
him to oust anyone he believes could provide a potential hindrance to the
enactment of any of his desired policies.

He would also be emboldened to fire those who he sees as constraining him from
investigating any of his perceived enemies.

Last month, Trump signed an executive order creating a new classification of
'policy-making' federal employees that could strip swaths of the federal
workforce of civil service protections.

Critics blasted the order as an attempt to 'politicize the civil service', as it
will now be easier for presidents to get rid of career government officials.

The numerous other senior officials reportedly named on Trump's hit-list are not
immediately known, though shake-ups are expected in a number of other
departments.

*
Ted