Iconic '68 Bullitt Mustang Shatters Records And Sells For $3.4M
2020-01-10 22:44:42 UTC
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic-cars/iconic-68-bullitt-mustang-shatters-records-and-sells-for-dollar34m/ar-BBYQ2Ab?li=BBnb7Kz

The legendary original Mustang just broke the internet as it crossed the auction
block at Mecum in Kissimmee.

The original 1968 Ford Mustang Bullitt is the most iconic movie car of all time,
a legend that makes car enthusiasts weak at the knees. This exact Hero Car that
was expertly driven by Steve McQueen in the 1968 Bullitt movie produced by
Warner Bros. just crossed the auction block just moments ago at Mecum. Most
known for its epic car chase with a Dodge Charger through the hilly streets of
San Francisco, the car changed car culture as we know it. And it also just broke
the internet and shattered records as the most expensive Mustang sold at
auction.

It was escorted to the Mecum stage almost like a boxer entering the ring with
cheers being heard from the entire crowd. It was an incredible scene as the
entire building stood on its feet to watch this legendary car make its way to
the spotlight. The bidding started at $3,500 for what it was bought for back in
1974, and it was offered without reserve. The Mustang GT "Bullitt" crossed the
Mecum auction block in Kissimmee moments ago with the hammer dropping down at
$3,400,000. That would be $3.74 million total considering the 10% buyer premium.

As mentioned above, the Bullitt Mustang just shattered the record for the
highest Mustang sold at auction. The last record was held in 2013 by a
one-of-one 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake that was powered by a 427cui. V-8
engine.

The whereabouts of this car remained a mystery until January of 2017 when the
Kiernan family finally brought it out of their Kentucky barn where it hid since
1974. Even close family members and friends had no idea that the family owned
the famous car as to keep it a secret. The car still features the camera mounts
welded onto the rockers. It features the rebuilt S-code 390cui V8 engine topped
with a four-barrel carburetor and backed by a four-speed manual transmission. It
is also the 21st vehicle entered into the National Historic Vehicle Register.

Bob Kiernan bought the car back in 1974 for just $3,500 from Road & Track
magazine after seeing an ad for the car. Bob's son, Sean Kiernan, acquired the
car in 2014 after his father's passing. He decided to bring the Mustang out of
hiding and bring it to the 2018 Detroit Auto Show when Ford was debuting their
latest version of the Bullitt Mustang.

The car has a letter from Warner Bros that certifies it as the exact car
featured in the film. Before the Kiernan family purchased the car, it was owned
by Frank Marranca, a New Jersey detective, in 1970. With the car is a letter
from Steve McQueen to Robert Kiernan trying to purchase the car but to no avail.
Unfortunately, Steve McQueen passed in 1980.

2020-01-12 02:57:02 UTC
super70s says...
Did the buyer wish to remain anonymous? It would have been nice to know
something about their background and the car's new destination.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was someone in China with too much money and
looking for a safe place to put their millions of dollars...other than T-Bills
which is the go-to destination for a shit-ton on Chinese capital.
Also I wonder whatever happened to the Charger the bad guys were in --
is it the same car that was overturned and burnt up or was it a "stunt
double"? I know there were two or three Mustangs used in that scene, but
the one that just sold is apparently the principle one.
Miloch
2020-01-12 03:48:19 UTC
In article <super70s-***@reader01.eternal-september.org>,
super70s says...
Post by super70s
super70s says...
Did the buyer wish to remain anonymous? It would have been nice to know
something about their background and the car's new destination.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was someone in China with too much money and
looking for a safe place to put their millions of dollars...other than T-Bills
which is the go-to destination for a shit-ton on Chinese capital.
Also I wonder whatever happened to the Charger the bad guys were in --
is it the same car that was overturned and burnt up or was it a "stunt
double"? I know there were two or three Mustangs used in that scene, but
the one that just sold is apparently the principle one.
Million Dollar Claim: The Bullitt 1968 Dodge Charger?

https://bringatrailer.com/2013/01/14/million-dollar-claim-the-bullitt-1968-dodge-charger/

Mystery of the Bullitt Chargers

https://jesusbehindthewheel.com/2018/02/21/mystery-of-the-bullitt-spec-chargers/

2020-01-12 22:14:26 UTC
super70s says...
In article
[...]
cool articles, I didn't realize there were entire websites devoted to
tracking down classic cars used in movies
Miloch
2020-01-12 22:49:29 UTC
In article <super70s-***@reader.eternal-september.org>,
super70s says...
Post by super70s
[...]
Try this one...search by movie or vehicle!

https://www.imcdb.org/