Mary Kay Letourneau...rapist...dead at 58
2020-07-08 03:46:45 UTC
Mary Kay Letourneau, Teacher Who Abused and Then Married Student, Dies of Cancer

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mary-kay-letourneau-teacher-who-abused-and-then-married-student-vili-fualaau-dies-of-cancer?ref=home

She served seven years for abusing the boy and had two children with him.

Mary Kay Letourneau—who gained tabloid infamy for raping her 12-year-old former
student, having children with him, and later marrying him—has died of cancer,
her attorneys said.

The 58-year-old split from husband Vili Fualaau, now 36, more than a year ago.
It was not publicly known that she was ill.

“Expected but sad anyway,” her attorney David Gehrke, told TV station KOMO. “She
was a good person.”

Letourneau was a married mom of four working as a sixth-grade teacher in
Washington state in 1997 when she was arrested for sexual contact with Fualaau.
The case made headlines around the globe and turned her into a national
punchline.

She gave birth to their first child shortly before being sentenced to six months
as part of a plea deal. Weeks after her release, she was caught with Fualaau in
violation of that agreement and tossed back in prison for seven years. She gave
birth to their second child, another girl, behind bars.

The two began a legal romance after she was released, and they married in
2005—even though Fualaau had unsuccessfully sued the school for failing to
protect him from her.

“She got out of prison and I asked her to marry me right away,” Fualaau told A&E
for a special in 2018. “I knew that my kids would have both their parents in a
house and that was something I didn’t have, and I wanted them to have that
experience.”

She maintained that she didn’t know that having sex with a boy was illegal.

“If someone had told me, if anyone had told me, there is a specific law that
says this is a crime,” she told Australian TV in 2018. “I did not know. I’ve
said this over and over again. Had I known, if anyone knows my personality. Just
the idea, this would count as a crime.”

The scandalous union hit the rocks in 2017 and they formally separated in
February 2019. People magazine said Letourneau struggled after the breakup.

“She’s trying to pick up the pieces and move on, but she’s feeling kind of
lost,” a source told the magazine in March. “She’s not sure what to do next.”

2020-07-08 07:47:00 UTC
[...]
Mary Kay Letourneau, the cute nymphomaniac who caused every grown
American male to say, "Why couldn't I have a teacher like that?"